Looking to upgrade GFX in a step towards a total new build

count_zero99uk

I have an old pc :(

Its doing well, but i think its about time i let it retire somewhere.

Its a Intel Core i7 2700K on an ASRock H61M-GS
AMD Radeon R9 3800 4Gb ram
16 GBytes of DD3 ram a 250gb ssd and enough storage drive space.

And a corsair GS600 Power supply.

Im looking to get a new Graphics card for this that i can then transplant into a new machine down the line. Probably nearer christmas.

Are there any limitations that i should know about for fitting a new card in my old machine. Also will that power supply be good enough to carry over to a modern build?

Thanks for looking
Brian.

I would get a new PSU personally, such as a CX550M.

As far as upgrades go, I would aim for Ryzen.

For GPU upgrades, either go Pascal now or wait for Turing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2700K is still a decent CPU and you can get a much better GPU for that build, depending on your buget Try a 1070 or 1060 6GB, You will probably want to get a newer and better PSU as well.

Then later when you want to do more upgrade you can do CPU+RAM+Motherboard.

GTX 1070 is a solid choice, and you shouldn't need to upgrade your PSU until you do your new build, 600 watts of power is plenty for a 1070 in your current build. 

EDIT: I forgot to address your other concerns about compatibility. You should't have any issues with putting a 1070 in your current computer, as the cards are backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0. You should see very little performance degradation for running the GPU with older hardware. It will certainly hold out until Christmas time when you plan to upgrade other parts of your system.

Thats great, thanks for the advice.  What would similar cards be in the Radeon line up?

Edited by count_zero99uk

2 hours ago, count_zero99uk said:

Thats great, thanks for the advice.  What would similar cards be in the Radeon line up?

A Vega 56 is pretty similar to a 1070 (it's slightly faster than the 1070). However, they're $80+ more expensive in the US due to mining and it also consumes more power. 

What resolution do you plan on gaming at?

1) Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TZskD2

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.2GHz OC | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi ITX | RAM: 2x8GB DDR3-1600MHz G.Skill Ripjaws X-series | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC @ 1817MHz OC

PSU: EVGA 650W G2 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w/ Noctua NF-F12 Fan | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: WD Blue 2TB

Monitor: Dell S2417DG 1440p @ 144Hz w/ G-Sync | Speakers: M-Audio Studiophile AV40 | Keyboard: Corsair K65 Compact Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

2) Digital Forensics Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sWV7w6

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.3GHzMotherboard: ASRock EP2C612D16-4L RAM: 8x16GB DDR4-2133MHz Samsung ECC Server Memory

PSU: EVGA 1200W P2 80+ Platnium | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Cooler: 2x Noctua NH-U9DX i4 | SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 1TB | HDD: 4x WD Red 4TB

Monitor: 2x LG25UM56-P 2560x1080p @ 60Hz

The next tier below Vega 56 is a RX 580 which is ~ GTX 1060 levels of performance.