Faulty PSU or???

aandril

Started with everything hooked up. PC Started, then turned off and this repeated. The PSU is a 1000w bronze.

Read some articles online saying to reset the mobo cmos. So unplugged the battery for a couple minutes and plugged it back in.

Tried to boot up again. Still in the on/off loop.

I removed all storage devices and RAM and other connects. Just CPU and mobo get power.

Tried the process again and the same thing.

My mobo is brand new, as well as my CPU. Thinking it might be a faulty PSU. Though I bought it from eBay and seller claimed that its working normal.

Or maybe it's my wall outlet?

I had a 885w air conditioner plugged into the same outlet though and runs perfectly normal on each setting... 

Now what?

What "1000W bronze" unit is it? It's very seldom you have a very high wattage PSU with bronze 80 PLUS efficiency as you tend to see super high-power systems paired with those, and those can have notable power bill differences with more efficient PSUs.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

16 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What "1000W bronze" unit is it? It's very seldom you have a very high wattage PSU with bronze 80 PLUS efficiency as you tend to see super high-power systems paired with those, and those can have notable power bill differences with more efficient PSUs.

It's an Apevia Jupiter 1000w.

AFAIK bronze means the efficiency of the PSU is 80-85%. That would bring the watt usage to 850w...

And if my 885w A.C. works in my outlet, why wouldn't my PC?

49 minutes ago, aandril said:

Started with everything hooked up. PC Started, then turned off and this repeated. The PSU is a 1000w bronze.

Read some articles online saying to reset the mobo cmos. So unplugged the battery for a couple minutes and plugged it back in.

Tried to boot up again. Still in the on/off loop.

I removed all storage devices and RAM and other connects. Just CPU and mobo get power.

Tried the process again and the same thing.

My mobo is brand new, as well as my GPU. Thinking it might be a faulty PSU. Though I bought it from eBay and seller claimed that its working normal.

Or maybe it's my wall outlet?

I had a 885w air conditioner plugged into the same outlet though and runs perfectly normal on each setting... 

Now what?

If it was an outlet it would trip the breaker for the house and not boot loop like you're describing. It really comes down to the mobo (factory defects do happen), cpu, or psu. But power supplies will also boot loop sometimes if they detect a short in the system as to not burn out the psu or the component. Do you have other components for each item to start troubleshooting like a different mobo or system to try the psu in then the cpu and so on?

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

If it was an outlet it would trip the breaker for the house and not boot loop like you're describing. It really comes down to the mobo (factory defects do happen), cpu, or psu. But power supplies will also boot loop sometimes if they detect a short in the system as to not burn out the psu or the component. Do you have other components for each item to start troubleshooting like a different mobo or system to try the psu in then the cpu and so on?

Uh nope. Plan on going to my local computer place to pick up a new PSU (Thinking a 685w should be safe enough). If it's not the PSU that leaves the mobo or CPU. Which were both bought new. Is there another reason it could be doing this other than because of my outlet?

1 minute ago, aandril said:

Uh nope. Plan on going to my local computer place to pick up a new PSU (Thinking a 685w should be safe enough). If it's not the PSU that leaves the mobo or CPU. Which were both bought new. Is there another reason it could be doing this other than because of my outlet?

Call the computer place first and ask them if they have components on hand so that you can diagnose yourself to see what you need to RMA. If its a small shop style place they might let you use their test benches and equipment to see what is actually wrong before you buy a psu you might not need. Also just so you know efficiency rating work in the other direction so if its a bronze 1000w it will deliver up to 1000w to the system and pull like 1100 from the wall. But again any outlet or circuit Ive ever come across wont have a problem with a gaming computer even some really power hungry ones that make 1000w look like nothing. but to eliminate the option try plugging it somewhere else too just to be sure.

Folding Community Board:

My power button to mobo connectors couldn't be the issue, could It? I think I may have put them in wrong, but could that be the cause? 

2 minutes ago, aandril said:

My power button to mobo connectors couldn't be the issue, could It? I think I may have put them in wrong, but could that be the cause? 

Doubtful but to be sure disconnect all of them and use a screwdriver to short the power pins to see if that works. The trick to diagnosing issues like this on anything (computers, cars, bikes, houses, etc...) is to eliminate things by testing everything you can one at a time so that you know that isn't the cause.

Folding Community Board:

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

Doubtful but to be sure disconnect all of them and use a screwdriver to short the power pins to see if that works. The trick to diagnosing issues like this on anything (computers, cars, bikes, houses, etc...) is to eliminate things by testing everything you can one at a time so that you know that isn't the cause.

Well because the mobos manual says there' s a +/- side, but the connections themselves say power and restart, and on the backs are arrows on one half, I assumed the arrows meant to go on the +, or should they be -?

3 minutes ago, aandril said:

Well because the mobos manual says there' s a +/- side, but the connections themselves say power and restart, and on the backs are arrows on one half, I assumed the arrows meant to go on the +, or should they be -?

For power and reset on motherboards all they do is short the two pins marked for each. The only ones where + and - matter are for the leds like drive activity and even then the only issue they will cause if the led to not turn on. It wont short or cause other issues like you're describing.

Folding Community Board:

Just now, palespartan said:

For power and reset on motherboards all they do is short the two pins marked for each. The only ones where + and - matter are for the leds like drive activity and even then the only issue they will cause if the led to not turn on. It wont short or cause other issues like you're describing.

I should have added, after unplugging the mobo battery and plugging it in and trying again, the power to the computer seemed to be a little more lengthy when it first turned on... 

?

I personally would take the cpu back out and just double check for bent pins. Its one of the few things you can do without having parts on hand to swap around.

Folding Community Board:

9 minutes ago, palespartan said:

I personally would take the cpu back out and just double check for bent pins. Its one of the few things you can do without having parts on hand to swap around.

I've checked for bent pins. The cpu bay(?) is fine.

One thing though that I just noticed, my power connector for the CPU, the 4 pin, has melted a little bit.

What's the cause of that?

4 minutes ago, aandril said:

One thing though that I just noticed, my power connector for the CPU, the 4 pin, has melted a little bit.

your CPU needs more watts than a 4pin connector can deliver

what CPU and board are you using?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

your CPU needs more watts than a 4pin connector can deliver

what CPU and board are you using?

My motherboard supports 8th gen cpus ... at least that' what it says. It's a gigabyte b360n WiFi. I'm using a 8700k.

2 minutes ago, aandril said:

My motherboard supports 8th gen cpus ... at least that' what it says. It's a gigabyte b360n WiFi. I'm using a 8700k.

double check that it supports 6 core 8th gen because 8700k even stock pulls a lot of power for a 4 pin. Also it is unusual to have a non overclock-able motherboard and an overclock-able cpu. Any reason why you went for that combo?

Folding Community Board:

5 minutes ago, palespartan said:

double check that it supports 6 core 8th gen because 8700k even stock pulls a lot of power for a 4 pin. Also it is unusual to have a non overclock-able motherboard and an overclock-able cpu. Any reason why you went for that combo?

I double checked. It says 8th gen CPU. I've checked compatibility searching google and it says the same.

I don't plan to overclock for gaming and a mere 15fps increase. I want the performance of the CPU for not just gaming but other tasks such as Adobe programs etc.

Another thing is that I plugged in the wrong connector for the CPU power. So it was the wrong connector that was melted a bit.

2 minutes ago, palespartan said:

That

The gigabyte site says the board has support for the 8700k but it's kind of weird they used only a 4 pin connector

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, aandril said:

It's an Apevia Jupiter 1000w.

Oh, yuck. Throw that out ASAP.

1 hour ago, aandril said:

And if my 885w A.C. works in my outlet, why wouldn't my PC?

That's not how 80 PLUS efficiency works. Why would they advertise it as a 1000W unit if it could only output 850W? Read the guide pinned on this subforum or in my signature if you want to know how 80 PLUS works.

Your outlet has nothing to do with this. Your PSU is crap, which is likely why these problems are occurring. 

38 minutes ago, aandril said:

YOUR PSU NEEDS TO BE DISCONNECTED IMMEDIATELY

That's literally a fire hazard. Go get something like a Corsair CX550M from Best Buy and throw that old PSU out while you're there. They do electronic recycling.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, aezakmi said:

That

The gigabyte site says the board has support for the 8700k but it's kind of weird they used only a 4 pin connector

4pin should be fine at stock, the CPU *should* power limit itself so you can't pull too much power. 

4 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Agreed, it's a piece of shit 

That's not how 80 PLUS efficiency works. Why would they advertise it as a 1000W unit if it could only output 850W? Read the guide pinned on this subforum or in my signature if you want to know how 80 PLUS works.

I'm 50/50 on whether the 80+ rating is real or not, leaning somewhat towards fake... 

Your outlet has nothing to do with this. Your PSU is crap, which is likely why these problems are occurring. 

That's literally a fire hazard. Go get something like a Corsair CX550M from Best Buy and throw that old PSU out while you're there. They do electronic recycling.

Not sure I'd use a CX550m for an 8700K PC, but it's certainly a massive step up from what he has now. 

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

That PSU is, to put it bluntly, utterly shit. Get a CX550M or something of that nature

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

ATX-JP1000W-15_500.jpg

Still, it should, at least, deliver 600W, there must be something wrong with the 12V rail, it shouldn't overheat the connectors.... or, the board inside could be a total fake and deliver like 200W, I'd say it's a 50/50, or a 70/30 maybe

I remember a friend also bought a "1000W" Shark PSU for his 4790 and GTX 770, the thing blew up while playing dragon age, guess it was 100W instead of 1000.

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

ATX-JP1000W-15_500.jpg

Still, it should, at least, deliver 600W, there must be something wrong with the 12V rail, it shouldn't overheat the connectors.... or, the board inside could be a total fake and deliver like 200W, I'd say it's a 50/50, or a 70/30 maybe

I remember a friend also bought a "1000W" Shark PSU for his 4790 and GTX 770, the thing blew up while playing dragon age, guess it was 100W instead of 1000.

Doesn't matter. If a high-output unit is that strongly misrepresented then it's a fire hazard, especially if the connections are being melted. OP should not do an RMA (though I doubt the warranty is more than two years) and should instead get a decent-quality unit.

looking that your psu in amazon: 

March 7, 2017

Verified Purchase
I had to return this psu. I installed it on my existing rig and it fried my system board. After replacing the system board I also found out it took one or both of my dimms with it. After replacing the memory and ordering a corsair I'm back up.

Pros: blue lighted fan is nice I suppose, fits in my slightly cramped case, relatively quiet compared with some psus

Cons: it fried my rig man.
7 people found this helpful

I doubt it is anything but a fake doubt it is 1000w, doubt it is bronze with a blue fan for 80 bucks. Look, I am a cheap ass myself, but this was for sure not a good idea to pick up, get a new psu, see if your components still work, hopefully nothing is fried.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

20 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Doesn't matter. If a high-output unit is that strongly misrepresented then it's a fire hazard, especially if the connections are being melted. OP should not do an RMA (though I doubt the warranty is more than two years) and should instead get a decent-quality unit.

Yeah total junk, I'd ask for a refund if I were the OP

Then buy a CX550 or 650 maybe depending on the graphics card