Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut better on gpu but worse on cpu die?

TriHard

on my gpu Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut brought down temperatures by 3c compared to nt-h1 but on my cpu die (im delidded) nt-h1 works 10c better than thermal grizzly, Im assuming this is because of different surface material of the cpu compared to the gpu. So my question is what would be the best thermal paste to apply to my cpu die because it seems to behave differently than other surfaces you normally apply thermal paste to.

TG Conductonaut. 

First though I would make sure the height is correct for the IHS on your CPU; the problem here seems more like a gap problem.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, Pangea2017 said:

Sounds more like a bad application. Both dies should be similar on the surface.

ive tried many times and each time i get the exact same result

9 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Upto 5°C can be paste related if you compare working pastes. Anything above is a application problem of some sort.

Could still be a problem with a gap between IHS and DIE. If you don't get it to work stay with nt-h1 and live with a few degree higher temps. If you want to improve cooling direct die is a option.

i just switched back to nth1 between die and ihs but kept thermal grizzly between ihs and heat sink and i dropped ~12c running cinebench so i do think some pastes are exclusively better on the die than on other things because of the dies surface also i made sure i used the exact same application method all of my 4 tests today (3 only thermal grizzly, now nth1 on die and thermal grizzly on ihs)

What cpu and cooler are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

50 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu and cooler are you using?

6700k delidded and nh-d15s

Are you using the IHS or bare die? Did you coat both surfaces? Make sure that the cooler is evenly and tightly mounted. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 years later...

@TriHard is not wrong. I came across same issues with delidding my i7 8700k, OC to 5.0GHz all core, 4.7GHz cache, and applying Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on die and IHS. No application issues, checked multiple times. Thermals were good for about a week then tanked. At first 76 C at load then about a week and the temps started reaching 90 - 92 C at full load. I think on a CPU Kryonaut is meant for test benches that have the CPU sitting horizontally for sustained low temps and high OCs. In a case mounted vertically, temps are terrible with Kryonaut because of the high viscosity of the paste. Gravity itself plays a role with highly viscous material.  Lower viscosity paste is better on CPUs because it cures faster. Arctic Silver 5 has worked great for my CPUs because it's thicker, actually cures but sustains heat dissapation...Now Kryonaut is great on your standard GPU mount (not sure about vertically) because it sits flat on the die for max cooling potential. My RTX OC 2070 runs at a cool 66 C max under full load with Kryonaut.