StreamDeck Compatibility Tool

Hi All...

After watching the latest WAN show and hearing Luke having issues with StreamDeck and older Windows versions, I decided to whip up a quick compatibility tool for running StreamDeck on Windows7/8.

Why doesn't StreamDeck work on older windows versions?:

• StreamDeck is built against the Visual Studio 2017 'Minimal' runtime, which includes 'Shims' for certain api calls, since this is one of the newer runtimes, it contains a few functions which aren't available on Windows 7 or 8.1 out of the box.
  • The runtime is required when building C++/Native applications using Visual Studio.

How does the compatibility tool work?:

• First, it requires you to download the latest MSI installer for StreamDeck from Elgato's site (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/downloads).
  • Then, it bootstraps the installer to allow for it to install onto your system.
  • After installing, it will install the Visual Studio 2013 runtime (If not already installed).
  • Finally, the bootstrap will place 3 'Shim' dlls into the StreamDeck folder, which wrap the functions required to run StreamDeck.
  • The 'Shims' are linked against the older runtime and provide workarounds for the various missing API calls.

Notes:

• If you have StreamDeck 'partially installed' from a previous attempt on your older OS, uninstall it first.
  • Extract the zip archive first before running the tool.
  • This is currently working as of 6/16/2018, should compatibility break again, hit me up with a message.

Please note that this is in no way endorsed by Elgato and in addition, is provided AS-IS with no warranty provided. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. That being said, If you do give it a go, please post your results here. I have only tested the tool on Windows 7 (64bit, which is required anyways). However I do not see any compatibility issues with 8.1 using the same method...

StreamDeckCompat.zip

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm currently trying this out and it works great on W7 as a 'Run' and 'Shortcut' device. I'm a real spaz at this stuff, but is it possible to use the AHK code to send a Lwin+Ctrl+q as a Hotkey for UCR with vJoy, so I can use it as button switches in flight simulator? I have been search and trying different ideas, but cannot seem to make it work. Great little wrapper btw. 

Mark 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry I'm a little late to this but they took down your link with the tool... is there any chance it is uploaded anywhere else?

EDIT: My sincerest apologies, it took a second but i finally got the download window, thank you for this tool!!!

Does not seem to work with the latest version (4.3.0+).

Got it working with 4.1.1 version.

On 7/7/2019 at 7:49 AM, Cerastes said:

Does not seem to work with the latest version (4.3.0+).

Got it working with 4.1.1 version.

Hi, could you point me to the 4.1.1 version, or do you mean 4.1.1 of Stream deck. If I try wrapping 4.3.0+ version it just hangs.

Thanks

Okay tried version 4.1.1 of Streamdeck, it opens and looks okay, but no response to the button control. You can drag a website key to a button and add the URL, but nothing happens.

Using W7 64bit  

any ideas?

Also having the same problem on W7 Home Premium 64bit, installed fine with 4.1.1 however none of the buttons respond after being programmed. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Having the same issue here, tried 4.0 and still didn't work, anyone got any ideas?

• 3 months later...

same problem here

used the tool to install 4.1.1. Looks as if installed correctly.

Unit light up and win7 id's it as a "usb unit" nothing more..

stream deck application starts but cannot recognize any unit connected to it

Any ideas guys?

Bought the XL today after seeing this thread in hope of getting it work..

Will "fight till the end" to keep my pc away from windows 10 =)