High core count Low TDP cpu

5 hours ago, bmichaels556 said:

Thing is, a lot of people have noted that LGA 1366 motherboards are expensive, but remember, when you're on a budget, you're not supposed to be looking for high-end gaming boards for $200, but rather server boards that can be had for ~$50 (or whole systems) for a very cheap price as said above.

For some reason, people make it like buying a server motherboard that can't overclock is some kind of filthy peasant move or something, despite being on a tight budget. I mean maybe I'm over-blowing it, but it seems to be present in Youtube videos on these processors as well... I don't get it. :/ 

All I said was to check the price first before making a decision. I didn't say any of the other stuff you're throwing in there.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

15 hours ago, thegoogler said:

Thanks for all of your recommendations so far, I have looked into all of your recommendations and like the Idea of building it for myself but if buying a old pre-built server with a lga 2011 or 1366 socket motherboard meaning I could upgrade to higher core count processors in the future does sound good. It would be easier for me to buy a rack mount server but I don't have a case for those and they are very loud. I could look around for server towers on aussie sites like gumtree but I was leaning towards a x55xx or x56xx and undervolting them if possible. keep the recommendations coming I would  like to see other options for processors I could use.

Many of the Rack mount servers also have Tower variants as well (R610 = T610), which are actually quieter due to the tower form factor. Not sure how pricing is goin to be in Australia though, since I do know used/refurbished enterprise systems are way more common here in America than in Europe. 

9 hours ago, Ildiesalot said:

Many of the Rack mount servers also have Tower variants as well (R610 = T610), which are actually quieter due to the tower form factor. Not sure how pricing is goin to be in Australia though, since I do know used/refurbished enterprise systems are way more common here in America than in Europe. 

There are a few for $100+ but most I have seen are in bulk of 10 sometimes, the single ones are old proliant servers and a few IBM servers for pretty cheap but the cases for them are $80 aud but it could be a good investment if I wanted to get a network switch or have pc's in the rack like linus did in his home server pc video.