Windows 10 OEM version transfer

noobhawkia

I currently bought a SSD for my laptop. My laptop came with the OEM version of windows 10 and I cant figure out how to transfer windows from my current HDD to the SSD.
Can someone help me with this?

When I put an SSD in my laptop I simply installed windows to it with a bootable usb drive I made and then logged in with my microsoft account and activated my system. Lots of people say you need to clone your hard drive for some reason but I certainly didn't have to. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

45 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

When I put an SSD in my laptop I simply installed windows to it with a bootable usb drive I made and then logged in with my microsoft account and activated my system. Lots of people say you need to clone your hard drive for some reason but I certainly didn't have to. 

My windows is the OEM version and I dont have a OEM installation media.

Windows doesnt allow you to download it using a OEM key. I already tried it.

1 hour ago, noobhawkia said:

Windows doesnt allow you to download it using a OEM key. I already tried it.

There are couple ways to get pure ISO. If you want one with your laptops drivers and other stuff (aka bloat), you need to get recovery media from manufacturer. You can get pure ISO from Microsoft by either spoofing your browser to look like non-Windows machine, or by using mirror site (there don't have latest patches included).

Either way, key is stored to mobo and will activate when you first boot to desktop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There are couple ways to get pure ISO. If you want one with your laptops drivers and other stuff (aka bloat), you need to get recovery media from manufacturer. You can get pure ISO from Microsoft by either spoofing your browser to look like non-Windows machine, or by using mirror site (there don't have latest patches included).

Either way, key is stored to mobo and will activate when you first boot to desktop.

Oh okay

So from what I searched cloning seems like the easiest option considering the key is stored on the mobo. So should I just go with that?

1 minute ago, noobhawkia said:

Oh okay

So from what I searched cloning seems like the easiest option considering the key is stored on the mobo. So should I just go with that?

That is valid option only if your current drive is as big or smaller than new drive. Otherwise you need to migrate just files that are nessessary. Both will require both drives to be connected at the same time. So it really is easier to get pure ISO (browser spoofing can be done with addon).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 25/05/2018 at 8:58 PM, noobhawkia said:

I currently bought a SSD for my laptop. My laptop came with the OEM version of windows 10 and I cant figure out how to transfer windows from my current HDD to the SSD.
Can someone help me with this?

Contact Microsoft support and they should be able to help

Thanks for the help.

Used the Samsung Migration Software to clone my disk and it works fine since the license was registered with the mobo.