Life after mining?

New Guy here. Context: I have 3 6 GPU mining rigs I built last summer for altcoin mining. The rigs I have are from these instructions with Z270-As and nvidia 1070s. I'm not running Windows like they are though.

The hardware is all paid off, but profits are getting thinner every day. Here's the mining alternatives that I have heard people doing so far:

• Folding - which I just started to learn about today 
  • Selling GPU time for rendering jobs - there seems to be more talk about this than actual activity
  • Continue Mining - this is what I'm currently doing
  • Sell the Mining Rig - sell the hardware while it still has some value (especially since it has paid for itself and then some).

What are the miners here leaning towards?

Sell the parts individually, but around or less than msrp so they actually get bought

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

I'd really like too see you put a few of those cards on f@h, use them to help humanity. I say sell 12-15 and use the remainder to help out the folding team. We seem to be on an upward swing and I'd like to keep it going!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

Sell the parts individually, but around or less than msrp so they actually get bought

Yeah - I've definitely seen people trying to sell used rig parts for way more than they are worth. Ridiculous.

13 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'd really like too see you put a few of those cards on f@h, use them to help humanity. I say sell 12-15 and use the remainder to help out the folding team. We seem to be on an upward swing and I'd like to keep it going!

Definitely going to put some on f@h. Been reading up on it more this weekend. Very cool.

If you're willing to donate your electricity to a cause, folding is a perfect way to do that.

If you're wanting to liquidate hardware just clean up the parts and sell the GPUs individually. You could set them for something like half MSRP + shipping on ebay to get interest and see where the bids take it. If it sells well you could continue listing them. Or do what some refurbish tech companies do and use the second chance offer system to sell the next highest bidders your additional cards. There are a lot of options.

Continue mining is always an option too.

Selling the whole mining rig IMO is the worst option. You'll likely get a lot of proverbial tire kickers and low ball offers for people wanting to part out your rig.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Life is not worth living after mining. You can hand me the gpus though.

jokes aside, folding is a great thing though, but you will need a full x16 pcie slot or at least x8 for it to fully utilize your gpu. depending on your setup (like x1 slots with riser cables) this might not work.

Projects like SETI@Home uses less bandwidth but still more than mining would so thats also an option maybe.

Selling is probably the most reasonable option while gpu shortage lasts.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

54 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Life is not worth living after mining. You can hand me the gpus though.

jokes aside, folding is a great thing though, but you will need a full x16 pcie slot or at least x8 for it to fully utilize your gpu. depending on your setup (like x1 slots with riser cables) this might not work.

Projects like SETI@Home uses less bandwidth but still more than mining would so thats also an option maybe.

Selling is probably the most reasonable option while gpu shortage lasts.

Honestly I find over 1x risers and only see 10-15% hit on points, but power is also lower too.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

16 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Honestly I find over 1x risers and only see 10-15% hit on points, but power is also lower too.

that's interesting... I once tried with a 1060 in a x1 slot and it was more than 20% less performance...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

that's interesting... I once tried with a 1060 in a x1 slot and it was more than 20% less performance...

I'm folding with Maxwell cards if that makes a difference. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/19/2018 at 6:36 PM, ablearcher said:

New Guy here. Context: I have 3 6 GPU mining rigs I built last summer for altcoin mining. The rigs I have are from these instructions with Z270-As and nvidia 1070s. I'm not running Windows like they are though.

The hardware is all paid off, but profits are getting thinner every day. Here's the mining alternatives that I have heard people doing so far:

• Folding - which I just started to learn about today 
  • Selling GPU time for rendering jobs - there seems to be more talk about this than actual activity
  • Continue Mining - this is what I'm currently doing
  • Sell the Mining Rig - sell the hardware while it still has some value (especially since it has paid for itself and then some).

What are the miners here leaning towards?

On 5/19/2018 at 7:53 PM, Ben Quigley said:

I would say sell everything off except for however many cards you can get running off of at least a 4x connection, below that you take a pretty good hit in production but I haven't really noticed much improvement above that (at lease with Maxwell or older). And then you can recoup funds with all the leftovers that you could sell. (best of both worlds I would think.)

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event: