No Idea What's Gone Wrong *solved*

Sin Stalker

So I am two days away from finals and the free time to game again. Tonight I decided to take a break from studying for said finals and work on my computer for an hour or so.

I added additional RGB strips (they go out from underneath and along the back of the case to illuminate the wall) and I added a DeepCool fan hub. I also added a few more cable clips to my cablemod expension cables.

I had turned off the power supply before before doing any of this. 

All is said and done and when I attempted to turn back on the PC nothing happened. NOTHING AT ALL. No fans spin up. No RGB turn on. No post. I removed the fan hub and the additional RGB strips but that changed nothing. 

The power supply is an EVGA G3 that is less than 1 year old. The entire system, save for the additional drives (not the main drive) is less than a year old. 

Seems like the power supply went bad, but I am not sure. I have never had to deal with this before. My computers have always at least had the fans turn on. I looked at all cables and checked the mobo to make sure there is nothing obviously causing a short. 

For the last month or two, I have been getting BSODs but they were always different error codes. At least one a week, sometimes two or three. I ran memory tests, drive tests and whatever else I could think of. Could it have been a power supply issue? Maybe some instability in power delivery that was causing errors in ram or another component? 

What troubleshooting methods should I attempt next?
Since nothing is turning on, is it likely the PSU or could it still be something else?

If it is my PSU, could my components be fine since it apparently died while off? 

Any insight is appreciated. 

System:

Ryzen 1700x with an NH-D15 Cooler

Asus b350-f mobo

OS drive: samsung evo 960 nvme

Asus rog gtx 1070

In an Air 540 case
PSU is EVGA G3 850w

You turned the power supply back on before trying to turn on the PC, right? :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Did you turn on both the psu and the computer?

Sounds like a grounding issue if there's nothing going on, would disconnect everything from your computer, mouse, keyboard, monitor etc. leave only the power cable, disconnect your rgb strips anything that isn't a necessary component and try to power it on again. if it works you shut down and reconnect stuff to find the culprit.

On the BSOD issue, it's really hard to figure out without a code, also if you suspect the PSU maybe include exactly what model you have...

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

You turned the power supply back on before trying to turn on the PC, right? :P

Yes. 

2 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

Did you turn on both the psu and the computer?

I turned on the PSU, but the computer won't turn on.

2 hours ago, Sack said:

Sounds like a grounding issue if there's nothing going on, would disconnect everything from your computer, mouse, keyboard, monitor etc. leave only the power cable, disconnect your rgb strips anything that isn't a necessary component and try to power it on again. if it works you shut down and reconnect stuff to find the culprit.

On the BSOD issue, it's really hard to figure out without a code, also if you suspect the PSU maybe include exactly what model you have...

PSU is the EVGA G3 850w. 

So I may have figured it out. It may be that CableMod extension cables are shit. 

I was going to use the included test tool that comes with the PSU. Before doing so, I was fully disconnecting it from everything when I noticed the LED strip behind my computer was on. This was weird since it gets power from my desktop.

So I discovered that if the 24-pin extension cable is moved at all, the power goes out. The LEDs would turn off. I'm recording the video and going to upload it to see if others think it is normal. 

So either CableMod extensions are shit or I got a faulty 24-pin extension cable.  Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, Sin Stalker said:

So either CableMod extensions are shit or I got a faulty 24-pin extension cable.  Any thoughts?

Sounds like so.

2 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

So I discovered that if the 24-pin extension cable is moved at all, the power goes out. The LEDs would turn off.   think it is normal?

That is definately not normal. 

11 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Sounds like so.

That is definately not normal. 

Here is how sensitive it is.

3 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

Here is how sensitive it is.

Lol. I would want a working PC over aethstetics. Outta here with dat g## ###t. Some things are better left untouched.

This is why I always use normal PSU cables.

CPU i7-7700k 5.5GHz Delidded GPU MSI 1060 6GB ARMOR OCV1 +335/+1000 RAM 16GB 2x8 Corsair Vengeance WLED 2400/3000 C14 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI Z270 SLI SSD Samsung 960 Evo 250G, x3 2T Samsung 860 Evo HDD WDB 4T, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 650GQ80+M CASE Cougar PanzerS                                                                           

CPU i7-10700k GPU MSI RTX 2080 Duke POS RAM 32GB 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200/3600 CL14 COOLER CM MasterLiquid ML360R RGB Push/Pull BOARD MSI MEG Z490 Ace SSD 980 Pro 500G, 860 Evo 1T PSU EVGA 1000P2 CASE Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG Black

CPU Pentium G4600 GPU MSI GTX 1080 Armor OCV1 +100/+400 RAM 8GB 2x4 G.SKILL Aegis 2133/3000 CL16 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI H110M Pro-VD-Plus SSD 860 Evo 1T HDD WDB 500G, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 430W Bronze CASE Deepcool Tesseract/ VIVO

SERVERS i5-3470, i5-3470, i5-4590 GPUS MSI 750Ti 4GB, BFG GTS 250 1GB, GTX 690 RAMS 3x 16GB 2x8 1866 C8 PSUS 2x EVGA 1000T2 COOLERS Stock, Stock, Custom Loop BOARDS Intel, Intel, EVGA Classified SSD x3 860 250G HDDS I don't care to list CASES Optiplex, Optiplex, 2000s Water Case

560HP/607TQ E85 198MPH2000 Audi S4 2.7Bi-Turbo with K04/RS6 Inlets SRM -  DAZ Tune - 2.8L N/A DOHC Heads  -APB Block - Mahle Pistions - JHM Racing H-beam Rods - TheTuner Manifolds - 3.5in to 3in Exhaust with Magnaflow Dual Box - Dual Titanium Exhaust Tips - SAI CNC Delete - S4 Modified Airbox - 85MM Maf- RS4 Intake Manifold p&p RS4 Y-pipe - RS4 Bi-pipes - RS4 Fuel Rail - A8 TTB - Billet Divertervalves - Silicone Hose Everything - SRMv4 Intercoolers - Clutch Fan Delete/Block off - Power Steering Light Pully - FluidAmper - Billet Cam gears - V8 Cam Bolts - ABS Relocate - VW Diesel Oil Pump