compatibilty need help!!

hey,I want to upgrade my gtx 660 to a gtx 1050 ti so i can run games such as far cry 5.

but i want to know if my motherboard is compatible , I have a lenovo h430 intel i5 and the mother board is a Lenovo H61 Motherboard CIH61MI V1.1 .

people say it would work as it has an X16 slot but i am worried about the PCI E generation.

I think if i buy a new graphics card i would have to buy a new mother board and a new processor and that would cost me about 500 euros. I can't find out what PCE I generation I have so I need help.

thx  

(the photo is not mine just a google image one as i do not want to take apart my computer just for a photo that i can find on the internet pls help) 

motherboard.jpg

The H61 chipset uses PCIE Generation 2.0: https://ark.intel.com/products/52806/Intel-H61-Express-Chipset

Yeah, the GPU should be compatible, but I know OEMs like HP, Medion, Dell, etc. often make it so you can't run any other GPU other than the one they want you to be able to run in it. I am not sure if Lenovo does this too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

thx for the (really) fast comment 

so i just need to find a graphics card that uses generation 2 or a generation 3 x4 card ?

9 minutes ago, gorfgorf23 said:

thx for the (really) fast comment 

so i just need to find a graphics card that uses generation 2 or a generation 3 x4 card ?

Forget to mention, PCIE generations are forwards and backward compatible. Meaning a PCIE 3.0 GPU (which the GTX 1050 Ti is), will work in a PCIE 2.0 slot. The difference between one gen and the other is the speed it will allow.

To give you an idea, PCIE (approximately) doubles it speed every gen, so PCIE Gen 3 X16 is twice as fast as PCIE Gen 2 X16, so PCIE 3.0 X8 is as fast as PCIE Gen 2 X16. The reason I say this is because I wanted to show you this article:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

This is a test to see if there is a performance difference between PCIE 3.0 X16 and X8 (which X8 is as fast as your slot will be). It shows there is no difference in performance between the two (other than margin of error), this test is done with a GTX 1080, so if that shows no difference, the GTX 1050 Ti will certainly not as well.

TL;DR: get a PCIE Gen 3.0 card, there is no performance handicap. But get it from a store at which you can return it, because as I mentioned before, some pre built don't allow other GPU's in it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

29 minutes ago, gorfgorf23 said:

Would possibly suggest you just hop on AM4 instead with that money and get a better CPU/platform...though I don't know if the iGPU is faster than a GTX 660

ya no the iGPU is slower than a 660, hasn't gotten that good just yet.

Your motherboard should support a GTX 1050ti just fine

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vxVxFt
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vxVxFt/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($94.69 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $237.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-26 05:19 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

ok thx 

keep in mind i have to buy this stuff from europpeen stores since i live in the south of france and shipping taxes are mad 

and what would be better a gtx 1050 ti 4gb or a gtx 1060 3 gb both from msi or an amd 580 ?

And if you want it the site for europpens for pc part picker stuff is called top achat (it s in french) but the config o matic (build your own pc ) is quite good,so prices for me are either top achat or amazon.fr

4 minutes ago, gorfgorf23 said:

ok thx 

keep in mind i have to buy this stuff from europpeen stores since i live in the south of france and shipping taxes are mad 

and what would be better a gtx 1050 ti 4gb or a gtx 1060 3 gb both from msi or an amd 580 ?

And if you want it the site for europpens for pc part picker stuff is called top achat (it s in french) but the config o matic (build your own pc ) is quite good,so prices for me are either top achat or amazon.fr

If the 1050ti is way cheaper than the 1060 go for it.

Otherwise I'd go for a 1060 6GB at minimum, or an RX 580 preferably for free-sync savings. if it costs the same as a 1060

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

would the 1050 ti future proof me for like years or would it just run games for this year and if i do choose a higher end card wich one should i choose a 580 8gb or a 1060 6gb i mean what would be better for newer games. and why not a gtx 3gb?

8 hours ago, gorfgorf23 said:

3gb

That's pretty much why, not the biggest deal breaker, but Nvidia released a 1060 5GB, so basically they had no reason to only give that card 3GBs. If the 1060 3GB and 1050ti cost the same the 1060 makes more sense.

You can always scale down games as they get more demanding, but even an older card like an HD 7580/GTX 760 isn't too bad for modern games, since you can just turn down the quality settings to run them.

Spoiler

On top achat i can get evga superclockes 1050 ti with 4 gb for 20 euros cheaper than  a zotac 1060 amp with 3 gb 

not that much more expensive but if the perfomance is astronomically better with a gtx 1060 6gb or rx580 then i will  make that jump since the cheapist gtx 1060 6 gb is 310 euros and cheapist rx 580 8gb is 370 but the perfomance boost has to be worth it or i would prefer the 1050t or the 1060 3gb  edition 

is the boost in perfomance that good?

25 minutes ago, gorfgorf23 said:

If the price difference is that small just go for the 1060

Though if an RX 580 or 1060 6GB is around the price of the 3GB card just go for that most likely.

Spoiler