DNS router vs windows

aezakmi
Go to solution Solved by Blake,

your dns server is an IP address. that means it doesn't need to make a DNS request to resolve the IP address of your DNS server.

if you DNS server doesn't know what the IP resolution of a hostname is, it'll forward the request to whatever you've got configured in the DNS forwarders. If you don't have any DNS forwarders configured, you'll get the DNS timeout.

Configuring the DNS in your router will only make a difference to any hostnames your router needs to resolve, or if it's also your DHCP server, assign it to systems on your network requesting DHCP&DNS data.

I just watched the new video, you know, the one about 1.1.1.1

So my question here is, the default "Setup on PC" instructions are for Windows, so, I think, even if I configure this DNS in Windows, my router will override them, why? because it has a different DNS configured already, and uhm well that's my theory.

If I configure 1.1.1.1 for both the router AND windows it'll work, but if I only configure for Windows it won't, am I right?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I configured it for Windows alone, and it seems to be working.

ffs my parents wont tell me router credentials

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If you tell windows to use 1.1.1.1 - it will either work or wont. It's not going to use your router unless you tell it to. So you'll know instantly if just configuring windows with 1.1.1.1 will work because you will no longer be able to resolve websites.

Your router is just like a computer, if it is configured with 1.1.1.1 then whenever it itself needs to resolve DNS it will use that DNS server, and with DHCP it will attempt to assign that DNS. 

The only way to stop local clients from using 1.1.1.1 is if you've configured your firewall to block all external DNS requests. I suppose you could also possibly NAT all internal DNS traffic to another DNS server, but that's never a default behavior and would've been something you or whomever configured your router would've done.

Your router will only affect your DNS if windows is set to optain DNS automatically. Data Traffic and DNS requests are completely separate.

In short: your Theory is wrong.

your dns server is an IP address. that means it doesn't need to make a DNS request to resolve the IP address of your DNS server.

if you DNS server doesn't know what the IP resolution of a hostname is, it'll forward the request to whatever you've got configured in the DNS forwarders. If you don't have any DNS forwarders configured, you'll get the DNS timeout.

Configuring the DNS in your router will only make a difference to any hostnames your router needs to resolve, or if it's also your DHCP server, assign it to systems on your network requesting DHCP&DNS data.