GPU losing connection to monitors under high pressure

Go to solution Solved by vjotle,
10 hours ago, Jaqen said:

this used to happen to me while benching my 970's only way to get system going again was to hold power button down as you have done, I was heavily overclocking though so my guess is your graphics card is on its way out, try down clocking it and if possible reducing the voltage a tiny bit too, might do the trick

Never overclocked my GPU. I swapped out the PSU and the S-ATA cables today and everything works great:)

I bought a custom built PC three years ago, and been running it without any problems until now. When I'm playing games it will suddenly lose signal to the monitor at random intervals (I can still hear people I'm Skyping with etc). And if I do a high pressure task like rendring a movie, it will lose signal to the monitor instantly.

If I try to connect the HDMI into the integrated graphics, it will not get any signal.

I've tried removing and reapplying thermal paste on the cpu, cleaning out the GPU, trying different PCI slots etc.

I also rendered a movie last Thursday without any problem.

Specs: https://pastebin.com/jAkpeXc4
HWMonitor log: https://i.imgur.com/jINaEEK.png

Does it recover or does the screen stay black until you reboot? 

I had a similar problem a while ago.  My screen would suddenly go black, only to come back 2 or so seconds later.  MSI afterburner would no longer display the temp etc, only showed a message that connection to the GPU was lost. 

In my case it was the PSU not being able to provide a stable enough voltage under load.  I ended up replacing the PSU, which solved the problem. 

But you may be having a completely different problem.

Have you tried powering it with a different PCI-e cable or putting the cable in a different PCI-e connector on the PSU (assuming you have a modular PSU)

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Does it recover or does the screen satay black until you reboot? 

I had a similar problem a while ago.  My screen would suddenly go black, only to come back 2 or so seconds later.  MSI afterburner would no longer display the temp etc, only showed a message that connection to the GPU was lost. 

In my case it was the PSU not being able to provide a stable enough voltage under load.  I ended up replacing the PSU, which solved the problem. 

But you may be having a completely different problem.

I have to manually hold down the power button to turn it off. I'm also thinking there is a problem with the PSU, but can't see any visible problems in my HWMonitor (linked above) - which led me to thinking there might be another issue. 

Power supply going bad?

video card going bad?

2 minutes ago, Pip313 said:

Power supply going bad?

video card going bad?

I'll test out swapping elements in the weekend, and report back. 

this used to happen to me while benching my 970's only way to get system going again was to hold power button down as you have done, I was heavily overclocking though so my guess is your graphics card is on its way out, try down clocking it and if possible reducing the voltage a tiny bit too, might do the trick

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

10 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Never overclocked my GPU. I swapped out the PSU and the S-ATA cables today and everything works great:)