Buying TZ90 / ZS70S

MK!

Hello Linus Forums!

I'm rather new to this Tech Forum, but not a stranger to forums in general. First off, hello! My name is MK. I have a keen interest in cameras (cinematography) and gaming. I wanted to inform you all of a purchase I will be making by October. I have a lot of thinking time on this one, the camera I wish to buy is the Panasonic TZ90 in the United Kingdom, other countries may refer to the model as the Panasonic ZS70. I know a fair bit about cameras, photography, and cinematography in general. They aren't shy subjects at all. The purpose I am buying the point and shoot is for a travel video I would like to make. In October I am travelling to Manhattan, New York. The Panasonic TZ90 costs ~£300GBP (USD$419.38, CAD$537.79, EUR€343.06, AUD$551.72)*. 

AmazonUK Page:

24c06bb191e0e42f459aaae5f0dafaa2.png

Camera Specs

Weight: 322g

Camera Effective Pixels: 20.3 Megapixels

Sensor: 1/2.3-type High Sensitivity MOS Sensor

Aperture: F3.3-6.4 

Optical Zoom: 30x

4K Photo & Video: 3840 x 2160 pixels, 30p (4K: 100Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 30fps) (AAC)/3840 x 2160 pixels, 25p (4K: 100Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 25fps) (AAC)

I will be taking this on Holiday to New York, also with my older camera the Canon EOS 1100D. What I'd like to ask from the community is if there is any better suggestions for cameras around £200-350GBP. I would also like to know what camera you own for travelling! It's cool to share information about cameras.

Here is a list of stores I am monitoring the prices on:

Currys

Amazon

Jessops

John Lewis

Thanks for reading,

MK

The Sony a6000 is pretty good, but it's price very strickly depends on the country you are in. In some countires it is a 1000 euros, in some others 400-500.

2 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

The Sony a6000 is pretty good, but it's price very strickly depends on the country you are in. In some countires it is a 1000 euros, in some others 400-500.

The Sony a6000 was considered when picking for the camera. The body only comes to £350, then the lenses add up. It will get way out of my budget. That's why I chose to start off with the Panasonic TZ90.

3 minutes ago, MK! said:

The Sony a6000 was considered when picking for the camera. The body only comes to £350, then the lenses add up. It will get way out of my budget. That's why I chose to start off with the Panasonic TZ90.

That is why i also said that the price depends heavily in the country.

Look for a used compact mirrorless system instead, they are certainly reachable within your budget and there are many reputable second hand camera delaers if you want to avoid ebay. 

Wex, Jessops, lce group and mpb come to mind. Also, Fuji sell refurbished stuff through their official websites at significant discount. 

I'd go for something like a fuji x-t10 or x-e2/x-e2s due to the lenses available, but, the a6000 mentioned above will also do. 

I use my x-t10 with a 23mm f/2, 50mm f/2 and 16mm f/1.4 when on holiday if I don't want to carry my 5d kit for whatever reason. 

Also, if video is your only concern, perhaps you should consider a gopro or using your phone instead. All the systems I mentioned above will outperform the 1100d altogether. 

EDIT: I should also probably mention that unless you absolutely need a seperate video solution, you might be better served with upgrading your current Canon body to something like the 200d, 750d or even 800d if its within your budget considering the resale value of your camera additionally. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/