Liquid metal cooling MSI GS 65 8RF

Saluix

Hi guys,

i bought the new MSI GS65 8RF. I was wondering if it is possible to to liquid metal cool it?

The heat-pipes are made out of copper. But i don´t know wich metal the CPU and GPU chips are made of  or if the heat-pipes are in direct contact to the chips. 

I was thinking about buying the Thermo Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. 

do you guys have any recommendations? 

If you're not having heat issues, and you're not very comfortable applying liquid metal, just skip it. It's probably not worth the risk destroying a new machine and any hope of getting it replaced under warranty.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Ok, thanks @Theguywhobea

I will watch the temps for some time. 

I think temps are a general problem by this type of Laptops. 

That´s why i was thinking about liquid metal. 

It is possible to apply liquid metal to the chips in this machine, however, if your temps aren't an issue there's no reason to bother. Keep an eye on them. 

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

Don't bother. It will drop your temp quite a bit but if you carry the laptop often everywhere you go, you will just increase the risk of the liquid metal to spill and short something... unless you can somehow protect the components against the spill.

ok thanks guys. i appreciate it. 

I will watch the temps and  update u guys in the future. 

• 1 year later...

Sorry just read your post now.

i have a GS75, had crazy thermal throttling on when I first got it. Opened it up and found that MSI had left a plastic strip on the VRM’s. Result was overheating, thermal throttling and a melted thermal pad goop. Replaced the thermal pads and applied LM to CPU, kryonaut to GPU and then fired it up again.

Temps sit at 69 degrees C gaming and max at 70ish. Cinebench R20 it only maxed at 74, so fans are much lower.

On 4/20/2018 at 12:01 PM, WereCat said:

Don't bother. It will drop your temp quite a bit but if you carry the laptop often everywhere you go, you will just increase the risk of the liquid metal to spill and short something... unless you can somehow protect the components against the spill.

This oft cited 'fact' isn't actually an issue unless you horribly misapply the thermal compound.

I've used liquid metal on all my machines, including multiple daily drivers that travel nearly constantly, and have never lost a degree or seem any migration off the die after years of use.

Liquid metal, particularly Conductonaut, has a very high surface tension and doesn't like running/moving. That's one reason why you have to put it on both the die and the heatsink itself, the tension is so high it wont want to bridge the gap otherwise even if you would have direct contact.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

On 4/20/2018 at 4:14 PM, Saluix said:

ok thanks guys. i appreciate it.

Liquid metal is fine as long as you're capable enough to do a proper application.

Otherwise stick to Kryonaut.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

34 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

This oft cited 'fact' isn't actually an issue unless you horribly misapply the thermal compound.

I've used liquid metal on all my machines, including multiple daily drivers that travel nearly constantly, and have never lost a degree or seem any migration off the die after years of use.

Liquid metal, particularly Conductonaut, has a very high surface tension and doesn't like running/moving. That's one reason why you have to put it on both the die and the heatsink itself, the tension is so high it wont want to bridge the gap otherwise even if you would have direct contact.

Ive seen some horrors with liquid metal on these forums from people that had no idea what they are doing.

They went it, no research and destroyed their CPUs.

Based what OP has written I assumed that he is the kind of person that if there will be an issue, he wont know how to deal with it very well. I wont go around and recommend LM to people just because it drops your temps. There are certain precaustions you have to make. As you said yourself "if applied correctly".

I have been runing delided CPU for 2 years now and I succesfully delided friends CPU and he also has been rocking it for 2 years without issues.