Gtx 1060 Liquid metal

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

The Gaming X coolers from MSI are a copper base with nickel plating. Though we would recommend NOT to use LM on a GPU as there have been plenty of horror stories on the web of it destroying the GPU core within 12-18 months. 

I was about to apply some liquid metal on my gtx 1060 6Gb msi gaming x, but I know that gallium is reacting really bad with aluminum.

I was wondering if you guys know if the base plate that is connecting to the core is made out of aluminum for this particular model.

(If you guys wonder why I want to do this, it's because I am overclocking this baby to his maximum limit before failure and it is in a hot area)

Thanks you for the upcoming information

The Gaming X coolers from MSI are a copper base with nickel plating. Though we would recommend NOT to use LM on a GPU as there have been plenty of horror stories on the web of it destroying the GPU core within 12-18 months. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

19 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

didn't linus make a video dedicated to puting LM on a laptop's cpu and gpu?

4 minutes ago, General Winter said:

didn't linus make a video dedicated to puting LM on a laptop's cpu and gpu?

he did, but iirc he also said it was dumb and stupid due to space limitations and the increased risk of damaging things. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

53 minutes ago, blastreaper101 said:

I was about to apply some liquid metal on my gtx 1060 6Gb msi gaming x, but I know that gallium is reacting really bad with aluminum.

I was wondering if you guys know if the base plate that is connecting to the core is made out of aluminum for this particular model.

(If you guys wonder why I want to do this, it's because I am overclocking this baby to his maximum limit before failure and it is in a hot area)

Thanks you for the upcoming information

Don't do it man. 

Everyone recommends against it with GPUs.

If you absolutely must, at least create a damn around the dye with liquid electric tape or something to prevent spill over with the liquid metal, but again it's super not worth it. This has killed a lot of GPU.

I theorize that it won't gain you as much as you're thinking anyways, because with CPUs you're replacing that terrible toothpaste that intel puts on there.

With a GPU, there's no IHS, and there's only one layer of thermal paste between the dye and the block so it's not like with CPUs where you'll see a 15-20 degree difference.

I'm doing this because I'm suffering of thermal throttling and I know I could gain an other 5% off my gpu

Don't worry about safety, I already prepared 2 way of isolating any spill over. Just wanted to make sure if there was any degradation posible

1 hour ago, legacy99 said:

If I could assure you there will be no human mistake, is there any way of premature degradation on the base plate or the dye if well applyed ?

4 minutes ago, blastreaper101 said:

If I could assure you there will be no human mistake, is there any way of premature degradation on the base plate or the dye if well applyed ?

Yes... it physically damages the Die of the GPU. Different people get different results, but the consensus is to NOT use LM on the GPU die. You would be best getting the high end thermal paste such as NH-T1 or Kryonaut opposed to using LM. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2018 at 3:59 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

Yes... it physically damages the Die of the GPU. Different people get different results, but the consensus is to NOT use LM on the GPU die. You would be best getting the high end thermal paste such as NH-T1 or Kryonaut opposed to using LM. 

did it with my msi gtx 1060 gaming 6 gb got 2100 core 9 ghz memory oc from 8 ghz liquid metal and change thermal pads ARCTIC Thermal Pad.