How to disable intel rapid storage technology?

Hi,

I have Intel rapid storage technology on my system (Windows 10 - 64bits) but my Intel SSD broke so I replace it with a bigger SSD from Samsung. So now, I want to disable IRS so my SSD won't be use has cache anymore.

My problem is that in the software Intel Rapid Storage Technology (see screenshots) there is no way to disable the caching of the SSD??? I don't know how to change the actual configuration of having a SSD use has cache to my HDD (which are seen like one drive (system in RAID)) and separate the SSD from the HDD so I can have 2 distinct drives (system in AHCI).

Thank you,

IRS - menu état.jpg

IRS - menu Gérer.jpg

IRS - menu performance.jpg

Yes, I tried disabling the service, removing the software, removing the pilots and the only results was an unbootable systems (in RAID and in AHCI)...

8 minutes ago, Atomas31 said:

Yes, I tried disabling the service, removing the software, removing the pilots and the only results was an unbootable systems (in RAID and in AHCI)...

Reinstalling Windows would probably help, if you're willing to do that.

(you will lose all your data)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

19 minutes ago, Atomas31 said:

Are there any BIOS options relating to RST?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

No, nothing in the bios but I think that is because my new SSD is a 500Gb.

As for reinstalling windows and losing all my data, I am sure not willing to go that road. ;)  And thinking about it, I couldn't reinstall my windows since the license key of my windows 7 wouldn't work anymore (new HDD and new SSD) and I got the free upgrade of Windows 10 (which is now no more free!)

45 minutes ago, Atomas31 said:

No, nothing in the bios but I think that is because my new SSD is a 500Gb.

As for reinstalling windows and losing all my data, I am sure not willing to go that road. ;)  And thinking about it, I couldn't reinstall my windows since the license key of my windows 7 wouldn't work anymore (new HDD and new SSD) and I got the free upgrade of Windows 10 (which is now no more free!)

You can move all your important files over to another disk before reinstall. Though this software should be removable. If it isn't obvious under the installed program list you can try finding IRS under either Program Files or Program Files (x86) if there's an Intel or IRS folder opening it sometimes will contain a remove/uninstall.exe file.

As for windows 10 last I checked you can still get it for free though the Accessibility program which I believe is targeted to people with disabilities. Sort of a moral dilemma if you want to take advantage of that. (Or if you have a disability, take full advantage of it)

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm sorry to bring this thread back, but typing "disable intel rst" in Google ends up here, and as there is no answer here, it happens I just managed to do the unpairing without any disk format or data loss. (And I'm also glad to join the community ?)
Here is what I've done:

- First, you have to go to the "Intel RST BIOS", by strobe striking "Ctrl + I" before the actual BIOS POST.

- From here, a DOS-like menu, you first stop the acceleration of the HDD, then disable the RAID mode on the flash drive. Of course if you have another partition on the flash drive, you should backup the data first just in case, but I had no data loss in that partition after these actions.

- Then reboot to Windows, with the BIOS still in RAID/Optane mode.

- The RST partition shows as a RAW partition in the disk manager, you can format it and that's it!
- You're good now, but if you want to switch back to AHCI, you have to manually uninstall the I/O driver and change it to the "generic" one (as you would do when changing your motherboard and keeping the same Windows drive without reinstalling). Trying to uninstall the RST program won't work, as it pops up a window saying you can't uninstall it. Then, reboot and switch to the AHCI mode, and install the proper I/O driver in Windows. Just to warn you, if you don't care about all this step, still switch to AHCI and try to boot, you will end up with a nice "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" BSOD.