144hz and a capture card

The Elder Smurf

I want to get into streaming, but one issue I am seeing is that any affordable (200 usd or less) capture card is 1080p 60. Now this is fine, as I planned on streaming at 1080p 60, but I play all my games at 1080p 144. Will there be issues with either sending out a second hdmi cable to the capture card? Like for instance since its input is 1080p 60, will I be able to duplicate the displays with the primary one running 144hz and the secondary running 60hz?

Edit: I want to stream at 1080p 60fps. I want to use an external system with a capture card to stream. I game on a 144hz monitor and wish to play at 144hz. Will hooking up a capture card cap my monitor at 60hz?

Edited by The Elder Smurf
Clarify what I am asking

3 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

You only need a capture card if you're planning on streaming consoles or something.

What's your CPU/GPU?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You only need a capture card if you're planning on streaming consoles or something.

What's your CPU/GPU?

I want to stream pc gaming, I have a 6700k and a gtx 1080. I would like to use a haswell i5 system as a dedicated stream box. The capture card I am looking at is the Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2. Would I have issues running a 144hz monitor with said capture card?

1 minute ago, The Elder Smurf said:

Just use shadowplay or NVENC in OBS to stream, you don't need a capture card.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I have had some major audio desync issues with NVENC/shadowplay, so I will stick to trusty H.264. I just want to know if that capture card will break a 144hz monitor so I know what to buy. I know the elgato 4k60 card will do 144hz at 1080p and even 1440p, but it cost 400 dollars.

3 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

I have had some major audio desync issues with NVENC/shadowplay, so I will stick to trusty H.264. I just want to know if that capture card will break a 144hz monitor so I know what to buy. I know the elgato 4k60 card will do 144hz at 1080p and even 1440p, but it cost 400 dollars.

You likely had your settings too high or something.

Also there's a simple fix for audio desync issues in OBS

You don't need to spend money on a capture card. Even if you used one I'm pretty sure it just maxes out at 1080p 60fps.

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You only need a capture card if you're planning on streaming consoles or something

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You don't need to spend money on a capture card. 

well if you are so certain that a capture card is not needed to stream PC games then please tell me how to setup OBS so i can finally stream vulkan games without a capture card.

pretty please with a cherry on top, thanks in advance. ;)

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You don't need to spend money on a capture card. Even if you used one I'm pretty sure it just maxes out at 1080p 60fps.

Thank you for your input, but my original question still remains. So please stop telling me about the wonders of NVENC as I have had rather poor experiences with it, and am done using it, thank you.

3 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

well if you are so certain that a capture card is not needed to stream PC games then please tell me how to setup OBS so i can finally stream vulkan games without a capture card.

pretty please with a cherry on top, thanks in advance. ;)

If you are streaming with the same pc you are gaming on, just use monitor capture, as it will capture any signal sent to the monitor, whether it be desktop, your web browser or a full screen game (any api) the downside is that it is not window specific, so if you have discord open in the background, and alt tab out, it will show you alt tabbed out and display your desktop/discord, which some like keeping private.

9 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

AMD's ReLive supports Vulkan now, I'd hope that shadowplay would as well, and I think there's a custom OBS plug in for AMD cards to do Vulkan?

6 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

Thank you for your input, but my original question still remains. So please stop telling me about the wonders of NVENC as I have had rather poor experiences with it, and am done using it, thank you.

First result in google for 1080p 144hz elgato
http://ltroyalshrimp.com/guides/how-to-use-a-144hz-monitor-and-the-elgato-hd60-pro-at-the-same-time/

But you shouldn't need a capture card at all in the first place, just learn how to fix your Shadowplay or OBS issues and save $200. You probably want the HD60 PCI-e card with a heatsink and/or fan on it.

If you do get a capture card your CPU still needs to do the streaming workload, the capture card doesn't remove the computation that needs to happen, least I don't think.

*Naw capturing Vulkan was a huge pain before some updates.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you do get a capture card your CPU still needs to do the streaming workload, the capture card doesn't remove the computation that needs to happen, least I don't think.

The whole point of getting the capture card was so a second system could do the encoding, so yes it would alleviate the work from my gaming rig's cpu. On a side note, the Elgato HD60 Pro does have an onboard encoder, but I was looking at the Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2 (as stated above) which is cheaper by about 60 dollars, probably due to the lack of on-board encoder.

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Okay this would make sense. I was searching with other terms, probably why I didn't see this. I would assume it works with other cards as well, as its through Nvidia control panel.

5 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

I'd probably just go for the HD60 pro, but are you in the US? because they're close in price here anyways.

What's the CPU in the secondary PC?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I'd probably just go for the HD60 pro, but are you in the US? because they're close in price here anyways.

What's the CPU in the secondary PC?

On amazon (US) right now the Avermedia is 60 dollars less than the hd60 pro

Don't remember the exact model but the highest end locked i5 in the haswell lineup.

17 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

On amazon (US) right now the Avermedia is 60 dollars less than the hd60 pro

Don't remember the exact model but the highest end locked i5 in the haswell lineup.

I don't know how well a 4c/4t haswell chip at 4ghz or less will do for 1080p 60fps streaming, You should see what it takes to do OBS streaming on your CPU for testing in that case, try giving it just 4 cores through CPU affinity.

HD60 pro is $165 here
https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Capture-stream-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01NBYJK7C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1521595399&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=HD60+Pro&psc=1

Spoiler

15 hours ago, The Elder Smurf said:

I want to get into streaming, but one issue I am seeing is that any affordable (200 usd or less) capture card is 1080p 60. Now this is fine, as I planned on streaming at 1080p 60, but I play all my games at 1080p 144. Will there be issues with either sending out a second hdmi cable to the capture card? Like for instance since its input is 1080p 60, will I be able to duplicate the displays with the primary one running 144hz and the secondary running 60hz?

Edit: I want to stream at 1080p 60fps. I want to use an external system with a capture card to stream. I game on a 144hz monitor and wish to play at 144hz. Will hooking up a capture card cap my monitor at 60hz?

You cannot duplicate displays at different refresh rates, no.

What you can do (if you have two monitors) is install OBS, but without using it to stream or record, just using it to show the "preview" of your main monitor. You can fullscreen the OBS preview and capture that monitor with the capture card instead of your main monitor.

17 hours ago, The Elder Smurf said:

the Elgato HD60 Pro does have an onboard encoder

onboard encoders in capture cards do NOTHING for streaming. 

this guy gives a good explainataion on it:

6 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

onboard encoders in capture cards do NOTHING for streaming. 

If you actually watch the video, at 3:41, he addresses the HD60 pro's onboard h.264 encoder chip, as one of, if not the only, capture card on the market that has an h.264 encoder. 

3 hours ago, The Elder Smurf said:

If you actually watch the video, at 3:41, he addresses the HD60 pro's onboard h.264 encoder chip, as one of, if not the only, capture card on the market that has an h.264 encoder. 

He also mentions it only works for recording, not for streaming. (5:18)

you can run an hdmi from the GPU to the capture card and keep the displayport or the DVi cable from the gpu to the monitor using windows display mirroring , thats how i have it set up and kept my beautiful 144hz :D but i was using the elgato hd60 pro (the pcie one)

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

7 hours ago, The Elder Smurf said:

yes - a h264 encoder that can't be used by OBS and the likes = useless

the card can send h.264 to the cpu but that does more harm than good because it needs to be decoded - then processed by obs (overlays, facecam and what have you) - and then re-encoded again by OBS

20 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

yes - a h264 encoder that can't be used by OBS and the likes = useless

the card can send h.264 to the cpu but that does more harm than good because it needs to be decoded - then processed by obs (overlays, facecam and what have you) - and then re-encoded again by OBS

and if you read my below message you would see I only even brought it up to specify the price difference. 

On 3/20/2018 at 8:53 PM, The Elder Smurf said:

On a side note, the Elgato HD60 Pro does have an onboard encoder, but I was looking at the Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2 (as stated above) which is cheaper by about 60 dollars, probably due to the lack of on-board encoder.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:23 PM, Streetguru said:

I don't know how well a 4c/4t haswell chip at 4ghz or less will do for 1080p 60fps streaming, You should see what it takes to do OBS streaming on your CPU for testing in that case, try giving it just 4 cores through CPU affinity.

HD60 pro is $165 here
https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Capture-stream-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01NBYJK7C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1521595399&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=HD60+Pro&psc=1

Thats refurbished and the reviews are questionable

1 hour ago, The Elder Smurf said:

Thats refurbished and the reviews are questionable

It's probably fine, a return if it has any issues would be easy enough.

Spoiler

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2018 at 7:21 PM, Streetguru said:

You seam like a total dickwad by not helping him, he made a decision that isnt crazy unreasonable and your putting your own opinion on it in, instead of just offering advice.