Big CPU-cooler and Ram?

Poizon

So I'm getting a pc soon and I've been looking around. The Dark Rock 3 looks just like the perfect cooler in my opinion, only that I have two problems. First off, it's 160mm in height and the case I'm getting supports a max of 160mm in CPU-cooler-height above the motherboard. Will this work? Second off, I'm getting the 2666mHz Vengeance LPX, how tall are these? Will they fit underneath the Dark Rock 3? I've seen someone (elsewhere) say that the RAM is about 34mm in height as the Dark Rock 3 has 44mm of clearance for RAM, but I have no clue if these numbers are even slightly true. Appreciate any answers! :)

7 minutes ago, Poizon said:

So I'm getting a pc soon and I've been looking around. The Dark Rock 3 looks just like the perfect cooler in my opinion, only that I have two problems. First off, it's 160mm in height and the case I'm getting supports a max of 160mm in CPU-cooler-height above the motherboard. Will this work? Second off, I'm getting the 2666mHz Vengeance LPX, how tall are these? Will they fit underneath the Dark Rock 3? I've seen someone (elsewhere) say that the RAM is about 34mm in height as the Dark Rock 3 has 44mm of clearance for RAM, but I have no clue if these numbers are even slightly true. Appreciate any answers! :)

Dont get the DRP3, the mounting is HORRIBLE!!!! You will cuss yourself out for that. LPX ram will work just fine. Its designed to be used with large tower style coolers such as the DRP3. 

2nd, no this cooler will not work in your case if it only supports 160mm as the cooler is 163mm high. 

For 160mm or lower I would go with one of these coolers:

NH-D15S: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3Y62116

ND-D14: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3YE9689

Phanteks PH-TC14S: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709038

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Dont get the DRP3, the mounting is HORRIBLE!!!! You will cuss yourself out for that. LPX ram will work just fine. Its designed to be used with large tower style coolers such as the DRP3. 

2nd, no this cooler will not work in your case if it only supports 160mm as the cooler is 163mm high. 

For 160mm or lower I would go with one of these coolers:

NH-D15S: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3Y62116

ND-D14: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3YE9689

Phanteks PH-TC14S: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709038

I don't know much about the pro version (I guess that's what you're talking about), because I meant that I'm getting the non-pro version. I've read that the non-pro version is just 160mm in height, plus I've seen some tips on how to mount it easier. Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing. However I'm not sure how true these numbers are. 

2 minutes ago, Poizon said:

I don't know much about the pro version (I guess that's what you're talking about), because I meant that I'm getting the non-pro version. I've read that the non-pro version is just 160mm in height, plus I've seen some tips on how to mount it easier. Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing. However I'm not sure how true these numbers are. 

You are correct, the non pro version is only 160mm high. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

You are correct, the non pro version is only 160mm high. 

So, would that fit in my case that supports 160mm height as maximum?

2 minutes ago, Poizon said:

yes it would. The product spec sheet on newegg states the cool is 160mm high, so this would fit your case. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

On 3/18/2018 at 4:00 PM, Poizon said:

Yes it will. Cases usually have few mm's to spare. Some more, some less. Also, LPX stands for Low-Profile. Those are even smaller than what ones without heatspreader would be and ones without spreader will fit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yes it will. Cases usually have few mm's to spare. Some more, some less. Also, LPX stands for Low-Profile. Those are even smaller than what ones without heatspreader would be and ones without spreader will fit.

It's great marketing on Corsair's part since it invariably fits under most coolers but LPX ram is just standard height and isn't as short as actually low profile ram. LPX is 31mm which is the same as G.Skill Value which doesn't come with a heatspreader.

lowprofile.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's great marketing on Corsair's part since it invariably fits under most coolers but LPX ram is just standard height and isn't as short as actually low profile ram. LPX is 31mm which is the same as G.Skill Value which doesn't come with a heatspreader.

lowprofile.jpg

That's good marketing. I really thought LPX was essentially same thing with LP.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv