Cryorig R1 Universal Compatibility

acid1011

I currently have an i7-8700k with an ASUS ROG Strix z370-F cooled with  hyper 212x.

I'm thinking about upgrading my cooling but unwilling to switch to AIOs.
Cryorig R1 Universal seems to be perfect for me as it doesnt interfere with the RAM slots (important factor as im using 2x G.Skill Trident Z RGB, and want the RGB glory to be visible all the time :D)
BUT..... i've seen in some reviews that the R1 MAY cause clearance issues with the first GPU slot in some mobos.

I want to know if any of u guys know whether the first slot will be blocked in the mobo i'm using.

• CPU i7-8700k Motherboard Asus ROG Strix z370-F RAM G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 GPU Asus ROG Strix 1070 OC  Case Corsair Crystal 460x RGB Storage Samsung 950 Evo with 9TB HDD PSU Bitfenix Whisper 750W Display(s) Asus VX229H Cooling Corsair hydro h150i Pro RGB Keyboard Corsair k95 Platinum RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Sound JBL LSR 305 + Hyperx Cloud 2+ Focusrite 2i4

It will probably hang over the first slot but that's the reason why the first slot is a x1 and the second slot down is the x16 where you plug in your graphics card.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It will probably hang over the first slot but that's the reason why the first slot is a x1 and the second slot down is the x16 where you plug in your graphics card.

I'm using this slot, it will be blocked?
P.S: Of course i wasn't talking about the first pciex1 slot

asus_rog_z370_rog_strix_z370-f_gaming_2.jpg

• CPU i7-8700k Motherboard Asus ROG Strix z370-F RAM G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 GPU Asus ROG Strix 1070 OC  Case Corsair Crystal 460x RGB Storage Samsung 950 Evo with 9TB HDD PSU Bitfenix Whisper 750W Display(s) Asus VX229H Cooling Corsair hydro h150i Pro RGB Keyboard Corsair k95 Platinum RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Sound JBL LSR 305 + Hyperx Cloud 2+ Focusrite 2i4

1 minute ago, acid1011 said:

I'm using this slot, it will be blocked?
P.S: Of course i wasn't talking about the first pciex1 slot

No, it won't be blocked. 

FYI, you can use the edit button to add info or tags instead of making a new post. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

you can use the edit button to add info or tags instead of making a new post. 

Yeah sorry about that.

Should be fine, you'll lose access to the very top 1x slot and M.2 slot, but your top 16x slot should be fine.

If you want to be extra sure Cryorig has this origami type thing you can download off the R1 universal product page.  http://www.cryorig.com/r1-universal.php

You can use it to represent the size of the cooler, and use it to check for interference with other components.

Direct link for socket 115x http://www.cryorig.com/images/tester/r1-universal/r1-universal_socket_115x.pdf

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10;