Can i use fiber with pfsense?

SweGamerHere

Hi i have a question can i use fiber with pfsense router?

Thanks for help!

@BubblyCharizard Okey! But i will get my public ip using fiber to wan in pfsense? and i have read 1 post their they dosn't get public ip. But can it work? 

if you go from the optical modem to the pfsense router, you will definitely get a public IP.....the issue comes if you need a ISP supplied router for their TV vlan, but most can be bridged (if not put pfsense in DMZ and use pfsense's better firewall)

What you mean with he issue comes if you need a ISP supplied router for their TV vlan

some ISPs provide IPTV over their internet connections, and they usually need to use their own firmware to dedicate bandwidth from their overprovisioned lines to their equipment

if you don't have TV with your ISP, then you are fine

@BubblyCharizard Should it work if i connect iptv to my pfsense router in the switch their all my another device's are without vlan?

Im kid and should handle a internet their the owner can't so much about internet....

it might work, it all depends on how your ISP handles their IPTV network, if not, you might just need to have

ONT --> Router    --> IPTV

--->pfsense --> other devices

ideally

ONT ---> pfsense  --> all the devices

@BubblyCharizard Okey if i has understand it correct so u mean i can place a router before pfsense and run iptv and pfsense in the router before pfsense? and let us say telia should i can connect telia iptv to pfsense directly?

4 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

it might work, it all depends on how your ISP handles their IPTV network, if not, you might just need to have

ONT --> Router    --> IPTV

--->pfsense --> other devices

ideally

ONT ---> pfsense  --> all the devices

Usually, warning assumptions ahead, in a GPON fibre connection the ONT has a dedicated port for IPTV and the GPON standard actually has a dedicated wavelength for it separate from internet. Doesn't mean that IPTV port is actually been used though and they are just using your internet to do it but that's not really how GPON is supposed to be used.

still wondering if there is a way to connect the GPON fiber straight to pfsense.

skip all the ont/power supply stuff. I just have internet.

No luck yet, I do have the code that the isp used to enter into the ont

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Usually, warning assumptions ahead, in a GPON fibre connection the ONT has a dedicated port for IPTV and the GPON standard actually has a dedicated wavelength for it separate from internet. Doesn't mean that IPTV port is actually been used though and they are just using your internet to do it but that's not really how GPON is supposed to be used.

both Canada's major FTTH providers use their vdsl modems to do this after the ONT

2 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

both Canada's major FTTH providers use their vdsl modems to do this after the ONT

If it's VDSL then it's not FTTH, it's FTTN. An ONT gives you standard Ethernet which may be PPPoE authenticated but it's not VDSL or anything like that. VDSL is a modulated frequency band over POTS phone line, it's actually rather fast but not over long distances which makes it a good choice for FTTN.

datasheet-c78-736392_0.jpg

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/datasheet-c78-736392.html

GPON have the same basic wavelength plan and use the 1490 nanometer (nm) wavelength for downstream traffic and 1310 nm wavelength for upstream traffic. 1550 nm is reserved for optional overlay services, typically RF (analog) video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_optical_network

As the diagram above shows in GPON it has the capability to send a dedicated video service over the network and it is delivered to all ONTs regardless if they have subscribed to the service, the ONT will drop it if it's not supposed to receive it. The reason this was put in to the GPON standard is it reduces network bandwidth to a single stream rather than one per customer, multicast basically.

It's not used here either because ISP's and Subscriber TV companies don't exactly get along so everyone still uses satellite dishes, stupid but it will change at some point. Using the internet connection is just as stupid though but it's not like we get a choice in the matter.

6 hours ago, intertan said:

still wondering if there is a way to connect the GPON fiber straight to pfsense.

skip all the ont/power supply stuff. I just have internet.

No luck yet, I do have the code that the isp used to enter into the ont

You shouldn't need to skip the ONT, just plug the pfsense computer in to the correct port and configure the interface on pfsense to use PPPoE authentication.

Like this, example is my ISP.

• Encapsulation Protocol: PPPoE
  • Connection Type: Ethernet
  • PPP User Name: [user]@ufb.vygr.net (Note: This can be found in the Broadband Configuration Details email we sent you)
  • PPP Password: (Note: This can be found in the Broadband Configuration Details email we sent you)
  • VLAN Tagging (802.1Q): 10
  • VLAN Priority: (802.1P): 0 (Specify if mentioned)
  • MTU: 1492

https://helpdesk.voyager.co.nz/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/32/22/Setting-up-your-Third-Party-BYO-Router

And here is a picture of the interface configuration on my FortiGate 60D (pfsense for you)

65CnGT.jpg

(VLAN and MTU not shown but is set correctly)

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

You shouldn't need to skip the ONT, just plug the pfsense computer in to the correct port and configure the interface on pfsense to use PPPoE authentication.

Like this, example is my ISP.

https://helpdesk.voyager.co.nz/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/32/22/Setting-up-your-Third-Party-BYO-Router

And here is a picture of the interface configuration on my FortiGate 60D (pfsense for you)

65CnGT.jpg

(VLAN and MTU not shown but is set correctly)

I know I can do that. the equipment isn't rack friendly.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

If it's VDSL then it's not FTTH, it's FTTN. An ONT gives you standard Ethernet which may be PPPoE authenticated but it's not VDSL or anything like that. VDSL is a modulated frequency band over POTS phone line, it's actually rather fast but not over long distances which makes it a good choice for FTTN.

they were just lazy......my vdsl modem is actually plugged into an ONT I think it stems from the fact that they want to keep similar devices across all of their platforms......just like some cable providers have deployed mini DOCSIS cells so they can use cisco or hitron modems

2 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

they were just lazy......my vdsl modem is actually plugged into an ONT I think it stems from the fact that they want to keep similar devices across all of their platforms......just like some cable providers have deployed mini DOCSIS cells so they can use cisco or hitron modems

Right makes sense, give everyone vdsl routers regardless and you just use the ability to turn LAN1 in to a WAN port for FTTH connections. Actually not that bad of an idea.

3 hours ago, intertan said:

I know I can do that. the equipment isn't rack friendly.

You'd need to get a GPON SFP/SFP+ module and a SFP+ network card that supports GPON, then get all the required settings from your ISP to configure it. The ONT isn't actually doing anything that special

21 hours ago, leadeater said:

Right makes sense, give everyone vdsl routers regardless and you just use the ability to turn LAN1 in to a WAN port for FTTH connections. Actually not that bad of an idea.

Telus' actiontech use a dedicated wan port......its a proprietary AF modem, as it also supports bondable vdsl using proprietary firmware on their dslams