Tesla Screen build project planning! (in my car)

Hey everyone, I have an idea to have a tesla-like touchscreen monitor in my car. However, I'd likely want to do a split screen, where the top half is some sort of capable system (such as android) to watch movies and web browsing (while stopped of course), then I'd have the bottom running android auto/apple carplay. Is there any way to do this? I'd frankly be willing to even build a windows PC with ups systems and all if I need to. Maybe emulate carplay, and have tablet mode of windows 10 on top? I Have 10gb of un-throttled data on my iphone, so it would be cool if i could set up the car to borrow that, although I also have a spare sim with 1gb data (that could maybe be used for an android tablet that's connected to the monitor? Btw my iphone and ipad are both jailbroken, in case that helps with this new system.

Right now I use a jailbroken iPad in my dash, and while it works great, there is still a lot of room for improvement when it comes to connecting to my phone. That is why I'd consider this splitscreen option. Likely a 21inch touchscreen monitor set up vertically with the top half running one thing, bottom another. (ideally carplay). And lets just ignore radio for now, it seems unlikely that I could get that working nicely haha. 

If I need to have separate amps ect to power my car speakers that's fine!

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'd recommend going with something very low power such as a raspberry pi rather than a full out windows PC and UPS that way you're not stressing the car battery as much, or perhaps an android tablet or ipad instead.

Perhaps just go with two android tablets or ipads? (Or a combination of one of each?)

You definitely would need to figure out an amp (possbly dac too if you want better quality) setup for powering the speakers in the car.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Its hard running two systems because only one can use the speakers at the same time, so you'd need a switch or to run another set of speakers.

You could run a tiny windows box and have unraid running two android systems I guess :S. You can probably splice up two harnesses easy enough - but then one unit will be sending power to the other which is the big concern so the speaker wiring is a big issue. I guess it can be done though with a relay or switch. Probably an unraid system is the easiest option. I thInk CarPlay is only available on OEM options as well - although it is pretty cool.

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I'd recommend going with something very low power such as a raspberry pi rather than a full out windows PC and UPS that way you're not stressing the car battery as much, or perhaps an android tablet or ipad instead.

You definitely would need to figure out an amp (possbly dac too if you want better quality) setup for powering the speakers in the car.

A PC would be fine. It will run off the alt when the car is running. Keep in mind a car engine is a lot bigger than a tiny generator, which powered Linus's camping ground video. I wouldn't use a full PC however just off the battery - but thats just me, it wouid work fine.

As far as the monitor, I think your out of luck, there are monitors that have dual inputs so you can run two inputs at the same time. (I think many ultrawides support this) However trying to also get that and touch screen would be hard. You would also have to some how share the touch screen between the two devices. I don't know of anything that can do that. Maybe poking around ebay for some custom hardware.

But if you really want 1 screen then it would have to be a PC maybe running a VM of Android. I don't recommend this, I garrentee this would break everytime you turn it on. And the power on time would be horrible. . 

I personally would look at 2 separate smaller monitors. Maybe like 2 15" stacked on top of one another, you may be able to remove the bezels to get them as close as possible to one another. I would say a look at something like a tablet or a rasberry pi for the hardware.

I would also look at car stereos running android. I bet you could mirror the screen over HDMI and get touch inputs via USB. . Might be worth a look.

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Its hard running two systems because only one can use the speakers at the same time, so you'd need a switch or to run another set of speakers.

You could run a tiny windows box and have unraid running two android systems I guess :S. You can probably splice up two harnesses easy enough - but then one unit will be sending power to the other which is the big concern so the speaker wiring is a big issue. I guess it can be done though with a relay or switch. Probably an unraid system is the easiest option. I thInk CarPlay is only available on OEM options as well - although it is pretty cool.

Could I not just run a simple mixer for the two inputs?

8 hours ago, Catsrules said:

As far as the monitor, I think your out of luck, there are monitors that have dual inputs so you can run two inputs at the same time. (I think many ultrawides support this) However trying to also get that and touch screen would be hard. You would also have to some how share the touch screen between the two devices. I don't know of anything that can do that. Maybe poking around ebay for some custom hardware.

But if you really want 1 screen then it would have to be a PC maybe running a VM of Android. I don't recommend this, I garrentee this would break everytime you turn it on. And the power on time would be horrible. . 

I personally would look at 2 separate smaller monitors. Maybe like 2 15" stacked on top of one another, you may be able to remove the bezels to get them as close as possible to one another. I would say a look at something like a tablet or a rasberry pi for the hardware.

I would also look at car stereos running android. I bet you could mirror the screen over HDMI and get touch inputs via USB. . Might be worth a look.

So is there any way to get carplay though? Or at least decent integration with calls /texts on my iPhone? Or should I just go with an android unit on top with a carplay unit beneath?

1 hour ago, woodepic said:

So is there any way to get carplay though? Or at least decent integration with calls /texts on my iPhone? Or should I just go with an android unit on top with a carplay unit beneath?

There are some articles and Youtube videos going over the jailbreak on an iPad and such to get Carplay. You'd have to jailbreak yor phone if you wanted that level of integration for calls. 

Using a tablet (or 2), is probably the easiest way to implement what you're looking for. Going through a Pi, monitor, power, or some other variation etc... is a lot more work in my opinion. And with tablets, depending on your mounting, will be removable for normal usage or as a theft deterrent. 

49 minutes ago, divito said:

There are some articles and Youtube videos going over the jailbreak on an iPad and such to get Carplay. You'd have to jailbreak yor phone if you wanted that level of integration for calls. 

Using a tablet (or 2), is probably the easiest way to implement what you're looking for. Going through a Pi, monitor, power, or some other variation etc... is a lot more work in my opinion. And with tablets, depending on your mounting, will be removable for normal usage or as a theft deterrent. 

All I've been able to find about carplay is simply a simulation. Both my phone and ipad are jailbroken, but I haven't been able to get texts and calls on the ipad through carplay. Can you link me to those videos? I'm interested haha

Btw I just found a pic of a similar setup, although this is just a dodge concept. Ideally i'd have carplay on the bottom though.

IMG_1609.PNG

3 hours ago, woodepic said:

Could I not just run a simple mixer for the two inputs?

I guess but its more power than a switch. You have to run power for all these seperately to not blow a fuse, so I hope your cable management is good :)