gtx 1080ti cap at 120 fps at 1080p a cross all games

Go to solution Solved by phongle123,

This is normal. The GPU won't boost or go higher than it needs to. When you up the resolution then it will start boosting and using more power.

hi guy .Can anyone explain to me why pretty much all games i run all will be cap at 120 fps(v-sync is off) .The gpu usage around at 40-60% only but the cpu is about 50-60% usage only. But when i switch to 4k the gpu is able to reach 100% and cpu usage also somewhat the same as in 1080p. My cpu is i7-4790k at 4.4GHz with a msi gtx 1080ti gaming x 

This is normal. The GPU won't boost or go higher than it needs to. When you up the resolution then it will start boosting and using more power.

3 hours ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

hi guy .Can anyone explain to me why pretty much all games i run all will be cap at 120 fps(v-sync is off) .The gpu usage around at 40-60% only but the cpu is about 50-60% usage only. But when i switch to 4k the gpu is able to reach 100% and cpu usage also somewhat the same as in 1080p. My cpu is i7-4790k at 4.4GHz with a msi gtx 1080ti gaming x 

to little information.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

G-Sync, single core thread usage high?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

21 minutes ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

what other info you need?

- RAM

- Windows Version 

- GPU driver Version

- Monitor

- Power settings (windows+nvidia control panel)

- some game titles

- (maybe) PSU

- CPU temps

in general full pc-specs would be helpful.

also this:

12 minutes ago, Carclis said:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

16 hours ago, Carclis said:

no g-sync cpu core usage all balance 

16 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

-snip-

16GB ddr3 1600MHz

window 10 latest version

driver 390.77

dell s2715h 1080p monitor

gta v ,overwatch , project cars

750 watt

cpu temp around 70c max within the safe range

power setting prefer max performance 

window is samsung ssd performance 

Well if none of your CPU cores are getting close to 100% usage and the same is true for your 1080ti then I'd say that the problem is either software or driver. Given that it happens to all of your games at 1080p then I'd say that your driver is the only common factor.

What happens if you play Overwatch at the lowest settings at 1280*720?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 hours ago, Carclis said:

Well if none of your CPU cores are getting close to 100% usage and the same is true for your 1080ti then I'd say that the problem is either software or driver. Given that it happens to all of your games at 1080p then I'd say that your driver is the only common factor.

What happens if you play Overwatch at the lowest settings at 1280*720?

pretty much the same thing.I guess maybe at 4k all gpu power will then kick in

6 hours ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

16GB ddr3 1600MHz

window 10 latest version

driver 390.77

dell s2715h 1080p monitor

gta v ,overwatch , project cars

750 watt

cpu temp around 70c max within the safe range

power setting prefer max performance 

window is samsung ssd performance 

windows:

have you disabled "Game DVR"?

are you using the build in "gaming Mode"?

please disable both and try the following (windows registry):

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games and change the following registry values:

“GPU Priority” change its values to 8 for gaming.
“Priority” set to 6 for gaming.

set, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile SystemResponsiveness to 0

then restart.

Please report back if this makes any change.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:56 PM, DarkSmith2 said:

windows:

have you disabled "Game DVR"?

are you using the build in "gaming Mode"?

please disable both and try the following (windows registry):

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games and change the following registry values:

“GPU Priority” change its values to 8 for gaming.
“Priority” set to 6 for gaming.

set, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile SystemResponsiveness to 0

then restart.

Please report back if this makes any change.

ok sorry for the late reply been out for a while yes i done that still the same result

2 hours ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

ok sorry for the late reply been out for a while yes i done that still the same result

are you using FastSync? Well something must be wrong, so i would start to try different drivers and reinstall windows when you cant find a solution elsewhere. From googling i found different people with similar problems but most of the time it either was core parking or any other power saving feature that caused the problem.

On 2/12/2018 at 5:12 AM, Carclis said:

Well if none of your CPU cores are getting close to 100% usage and the same is true for your 1080ti then I'd say that the problem is either software or driver. 

You'll not see that. If the game is single threaded and it would run on one core at 100% you are not be able to see that. Because the OS is evenly scheduling this single thread on all cores.

On a dual core you would see around 50% on both cores even though it is maxed out.

2 hours ago, .spider. said:

You'll not see that. If the game is single threaded and it would run on one core at 100% you are not be able to see that. Because the OS is evenly scheduling this single thread on all cores.

On a dual core you would see around 50% on both cores even though it is maxed out.

The OS dictates what the OS does. Why would it magically convert a single threaded game to a multi-threaded one?

In fact, take a look how a well known single-threaded game looks.
5a88010c6d4e5_SingleThreaded.thumb.png.750dde8eb6cb574583a458f5ca5a8aeb.png
I'd also like to mention that I wasn't specifically talking about a game being single threaded, but it being maxed out on one particular thread whilst the others are not. This has a similar effect.

4 hours ago, Carclis said:

The OS dictates what the OS does. Why would it magically convert a single threaded game to a multi-threaded one?

Never said that. 

4 hours ago, Carclis said:

I'd also like to mention that I wasn't specifically talking about a game being single threaded, but it being maxed out on one particular thread whilst the others are not. This has a similar effect.

Again, a single thread can be scheduled on multiple cores thus you wont the one core maxed out.

6 hours ago, .spider. said:

Is this not in contradiction to the image in my post?

24 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Is this not in contradiction to the image in my post?

No, that is only one example. ProcessorAffinity could be set by the game while other games do not.

6 minutes ago, .spider. said:

No, that is only one example. ProcessorAffinity could be set by the game while other games do not.

What you're describing sounds more like a software issue as I mentioned above. If everything is getting loaded into a single thread that bounces between hardware threads then it's a software problem. If the processor affinity was not set in an application that ran across multiple threads then you would likely see high CPU thread usage across the board which would signal a potential bottleneck anyways. I get where you're coming from but I misinterpreted your initial response of "you'll not see that" since it should have read as "you may not see that".

20 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

are you using FastSync? Well something must be wrong, so i would start to try different drivers and reinstall windows when you cant find a solution elsewhere. From googling i found different people with similar problems but most of the time it either was core parking or any other power saving feature that caused the problem.

nope no fast sync or g sync .All driver pretty much the same thing no not going to reinstall window for this.I doubt is driver cause at 4k i am able to hit full gpu usage guess gtx 1080ti likes 4k 

7 hours ago, Carclis said:

What you're describing sounds more like a software issue as I mentioned above. 

No it is not an issue. It's normal behavior and it makes it impossible to determine a CPU bottleneck by just looking at the CPU usage.

12 hours ago, .spider. said:

No it is not an issue. It's normal behavior and it makes it impossible to determine a CPU bottleneck by just looking at the CPU usage.

if looking at cpu usage does not determine then how to determine?

9 hours ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

if looking at cpu usage does not determine then how to determine?

GPU usage below 100% while fps target isn't reached.

On 2/19/2018 at 4:42 AM, .spider. said:

GPU usage below 100% while fps target isn't reached.

my fps target in reached at 120fps .This almost look like the game will not render more then 120fps