Is Wondershare Filmora able to edit RAW video?

Go to solution Solved by Indus Monk,
23 hours ago, Mutahar Farooq said:

I said in my original post that I might be getting a Panasonic G7.

oh, i didn't see that. My bad. and also, the panasonic G7 can't shoot RAW video. It can shoot RAW images, but RAW video is only available in cameras like ARRI Alexa, Blackmagic Ursa, RED Weapon Etc

Hello, I was thinking of getting a Panasonic G7 to improve the production quality of my youtube videos and I wanted to get into RAW. My editor is Wondershare Filmora for videos and I was wondering: Am I able to edit RAW videos in Wondershare Filmora because I don't see anything about it.

Spoiler

RAW video recording isn't available in cheap cameras. Most Blackmagic Cameras and all RED cameras have RAW video support. What camera are you using by the way?

Each camera records its video with a Codec. So, normal 4k footage from a Panasonic GH4 uses H.265 codec to record 4k footage. If you want to check whether an editing suite supports RAW footage editing or not, just check the codecs supported by the editor. Premiere Pro CC supports RAW footage from RED and BlackMagic camera. Raw footage is always recorded with a RAW codec. This RAW codec is custom designed by camera makers. So RED has it's own RAW codec, and BlackMagic has it's own RAW codec.

Summary:

To answer your question, Filmora doesn't support RAW video editing at all. However Premiere Pro CC supports RAW footage editing. The spoiler above is just extra info that will prove useful in the future. But i'm curious, what camera are you using?

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

26 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:
  Reveal hidden contents

RAW video recording isn't available in cheap cameras. Most Blackmagic Cameras and all RED cameras have RAW video support. What camera are you using by the way?

Each camera records its video with a Codec. So, normal 4k footage from a Panasonic GH4 uses H.265 codec to record 4k footage. If you want to check whether an editing suite supports RAW footage editing or not, just check the codecs supported by the editor. Premiere Pro CC supports RAW footage from RED and BlackMagic camera. Raw footage is always recorded with a RAW codec. This RAW codec is custom designed by camera makers. So RED has it's own RAW codec, and BlackMagic has it's own RAW codec.

Summary:

To answer your question, Filmora doesn't support RAW video editing at all. However Premiere Pro CC supports RAW footage editing. The spoiler above is just extra info that will prove useful in the future. But i'm curious, what camera are you using?

30 minutes ago, Mutahar Farooq said:

How do you plan to get RAW video out of the G7?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

23 hours ago, Mutahar Farooq said:

oh, i didn't see that. My bad. and also, the panasonic G7 can't shoot RAW video. It can shoot RAW images, but RAW video is only available in cameras like ARRI Alexa, Blackmagic Ursa, RED Weapon Etc

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

13 hours ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

oh, i didn't see that. My bad. and also, the panasonic G7 can't shoot RAW video. It can shoot RAW images, but RAW video is only available in cameras like ARRI Alexa, Balcmagic Ursa, RED Weapon Etc

There are cheaper cameras that can capture RAW video, like the $1000 Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera.  Some video cameras are capable of capturing RAW video internally (either in proprietary formats like what RED uses or Cinema DNG like BlackMagic) while others require an external capture device capable of recording RAW (like Atomos Shogun/Ninja devices or Odyssey 7Q+).

The Sony FS5 for example is capable of sending a RAW video signal via SDI to an external recorder like the Atomos Shogun Flame and they are saved as Cinema DNG, whilst my FS7 requires an extension unit to be attached to the camera first.

I'm assuming the OP saw videos like the following on Youtube and thought the titled implied the G7 is capable of recording RAW.  The person who titled the video did so incorrectly, it should rather be something like ungraded vs graded footage.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins