Top flow cpu coolers

Askingcarpet

So i've been looking for a new cooler for my system as i plan to get a better cpu and want my temps to be lower than 80C, but most coolers that i can afford like the cooler master hyper 212 evo are tower style, which for some reason look ugly as all f*ck to me. Then i saw others like the cheap deepcool theta 20 or the better cryorig c7 that are top flow style (like the stock coolers) which to me look way better, but i think that kind of cooler would have a lot less performance. 

Case clearance is not a concern at all, but as my case has a side window, aesthetics definitely are. Which should i choose?

CPU: Core i3 8100 @ 3,6GHz 

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B360M-DS3H

RAM: 8GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 2400mHz

Storage: 2TB WD 7200RPM HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Case: Deepcool Dukase V3

PSU: Corsair CX450

Keyboard: Cougar Core

Mouse: Logitech G502

Headset: HyperX Cloud Stinger

6 minutes ago, Askingcarpet said:

So i've been looking for a new cooler for my system as i plan to get a better cpu and want my temps to be lower than 80C, but most coolers that i can afford like the cooler master hyper 212 evo are tower style, which for some reason look ugly as all f*ck to me. Then i saw others like the cheap deepcool theta 20 or the better cryorig c7 that are top flow style (like the stock coolers) which to me look way better, but i think that kind of cooler would have a lot less performance. 

Case clearance is not a concern at all, but as my case has a side window, aesthetics definitely are. Which should i choose?

If you don't want an AIO, which would be the best performance, than the cryorig is the next best choice.  But what about this, https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-c14s and replace the fans with 2 of your style (Assuming you don't like the brown noctua) for push pull....?

A cooler such as the C7 has tons of trouble maintaining temps compared to a full tower such as the 212 Evo because of its lower profile of 47mm.

I'd recommend an AIO or something from be quiet! if you're concerned by looks. Both options are expensive, but you could buy both low-risk on the used market.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

17 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

If you don't want an AIO, which would be the best performance, than the cryorig is the next best choice.  But what about this, https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-c14s and replace the fans with 2 of your style (Assuming you don't like the brown noctua) for push pull....?

I second this - the C14s's TDP is set at165 watts - enough for most. Additionally, you could buy Noctua fans from the Redux, Industrial, or Chromax series of fans if you don't like their brown colors (You may need to replace the vibration mounting).

As far as fans go - here's a quote from: Quiet PWM Fan Options

For minimum noise and alright airflow (list in order from highest airflow to lowest):

Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (White) 68.4 CFM @18.9 dBa

NoiseBlocker - NB-eLoop B14-2 64.3 CFM @ 16.9 dBa

be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM @ 15.5 dBa

Noctua - NF-P14s redux-900 49.3 CFM @ 13.2 dBa

NoiseBlocker - NB-BlackSilentFan XK-1 35.3 CFM @ 13dBa

I haven't used the FD's fan, so I'm hesitant to put it on (but the info about it says I should).

All of them are great - it's basically how much airflow you want and which one you like the look of the best.

Google Sheets: PC Fans. All of Them. (Tabs at bottom for fan sizes)

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

The cpu i'm planning to buy is an i7 2600, so oc is out of the picture, which means i don't really need a beefy cooler. To be honest you guys convinced me to get tower style, because i think performance is better than aesthetics. The real thing is im trying to spend as little as possible on the cpu cooler to put more into the gpu, and getting something like a hyper 212 evo implies $16 in shipping from the US to here using a courier or $50 shipping from amazon (gotta love my country) or buy it here for the low sum of $60. The only other alternative is buying something like a deepcool gammaxx s40 ($30) locally (there aren't any other reasonably priced options), or hold on with the stock cooler and in some time, go for something like a cooler master liquid lite ($60)

15 hours ago, Askingcarpet said:

The cpu i'm planning to buy is an i7 2600, so oc is out of the picture, which means i don't really need a beefy cooler. To be honest you guys convinced me to get tower style, because i think performance is better than aesthetics. The real thing is im trying to spend as little as possible on the cpu cooler to put more into the gpu, and getting something like a hyper 212 evo implies $16 in shipping from the US to here using a courier or $50 shipping from amazon (gotta love my country) or buy it here for the low sum of $60. The only other alternative is buying something like a deepcool gammaxx s40 ($30) locally (there aren't any other reasonably priced options), or hold on with the stock cooler and in some time, go for something like a cooler master liquid lite ($60)

Considering you aren't OCing, stock should do just fine. Ivy Bridge is from time when Intels weren't hot by default. If you feel like stock isn't enough, go for any aftermarket cooler. S40 will be just as good as 212 in this use case. You aren't going to overheat with either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Considering you aren't OCing, stock should do just fine. Ivy Bridge is from time when Intels weren't hot by default. If you feel like stock isn't enough, go for any aftermarket cooler. S40 will be just as good as 212 in this use case. You aren't going to overheat with either.

I mean, if it REALLY doesn't matter i can just get a deepcool ice edge mini fs which is just $12, but i don't know if it's even better than a stock one.

On 1/17/2018 at 5:53 PM, Askingcarpet said:

I mean, if it REALLY doesn't matter i can just get a deepcool ice edge mini fs which is just $12, but i don't know if it's even better than a stock one.

It's probably not any better. 

Where are you shopping/located? What ram do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:06 AM, WoodenMarker said:

It's probably not any better. 

Where are you shopping/located? What ram do you have?

Well i live in uruguay (wouldn't be surprised if you didn't know what that even is) and i have 2 sticks of 4gb ddr3 g.skill ares ram

That doesn't really matter tho since i don't even know if my pc will ever turn on again right now.

5 hours ago, Askingcarpet said:

That doesn't really matter tho since i don't even know if my pc will ever turn on again right now.

Why's that? What happened?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2018 at 8:10 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Why's that? What happened?

Well i think either my motherboard is dying or my computer finally got fed up of my stupid face. When i wrote that, the pc would only boot past splash screen with a single stick of ram on even if i changed slots and everything. Eventually i got to automatic system repair and that did it for a couple of days. Then it just refused to boot, until i got to startup recovery and booted into safe mode, which just booted up windows normally, to my surprise. In 2 or 3 days i'm just gonna go ahead and buy a b250, a g4560 (i was planning to buy an i7 2600 but i'd rather just go to a new platform if i need a mobo replacement and it's still a great cpu for the money) and 8gb of ddr4 and i guess the g4560 with its new heatsink and fresh thermal compound is probably gonna be way better in the temp department than this old i3. Just as a "fun" fact (not fun at all), this upgrade (GA-B250M-DS3H, 2x4Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 and pentium g4560) will cost me exactly $320.