Modding or Replacing the Power-LED of a Fractal Design Define

@Karikiro So is there one like that one that the dude linked above? Because that one had two leds but you only need one. I don't want to buy it and snip it off if I can buy one of those for cheaper.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

@Karikiro So is there one like that one that the dude linked above? Because that one had two leds but you only need one. I don't want to buy it and snip it off if I can buy one of those for cheaper.

I found a single prewired green LED for $ 2.99 in the same store. It comes with 22" (55cm) of cable-length, which sould be perfect, and connects with a two pin connector, the same way as the standart LED does.

If you buy this one it should be only a matter of replacing the standart LED.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Build-log (way out of date)

@Karikiro thanks. Looking to finish this at least by July 20th. My birthday on the 6th will get me all the money to finish the build at the latest.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

@Karikiro oh wait. Would I have to sand down that led like you did so it doesn't "Blind" me?

@Karikiro thanks. Looking to finish this at least by July 20th. My birthday on the 6th will get me all the money to finish the build at the latest.

@Karikiro oh wait. Would I have to sand down that led like you did so it doesn't "Blind" me?

You are not required to sand it down. It is fine as it is.

However, matting both the LED's and the socket's surface will help to diffuse the light on the surface of the socket.

I definitely recommend it.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

@Karikiro sounds good. Cases are one way to make your build unique. Changing the LED's make it even more unique.

• 4 months later...

How did you get your socket out so easily as you claim? I am looking at one right now and after a fair amount of force in the gap you indicated above, I still can not free the socket. Upward force on the case plastic itself and downward force on the top of the socket away from the case is what you suggested if I understand correctly and I do have the socket wiggling and with a bit of play, but can not manage to free it. I am afraid of damaging the fragile plastic the socket is encased in with any more force, unless I misunderstood somewhere, my socket is not removed easily in this fashion. Anyone with a suggestion to make the extraction of the socket easier, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

How did you get your socket out so easily as you claim? I am looking at one right now and after a fair amount of force in the gap you indicated above, I still can not free the socket. Upward force on the case plastic itself and downward force on the top of the socket away from the case is what you suggested if I understand correctly and I do have the socket wiggling and with a bit of play, but can not manage to free it. I am afraid of damaging the fragile plastic the socket is encased in with any more force, unless I misunderstood somewhere, my socket is not removed easily in this fashion. Anyone with a suggestion to make the extraction of the socket easier, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

The problem you have could be caused by manufacturing tolerances. Maybe you got a particularly tight socket.

If you can't get it out, you could try and break, cut or saw the fin off, but that would affect the look quite a bit.

So in case you want to matt the surface, you could put tape on the front-panel and leave the socket free for the sanding, instead.

It also isn't really necessary to remove the socket to change the LED as you can access it from the sides even when it's build in. Just leaver and pull it out by the flange.

I hope I could help (in time). Good luck!

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

• 4 years later...
On 1/22/2014 at 8:47 PM, Skylark said:

Mission Accomplished.  This was actually surprisingly easy, only took about 5 mins

post-46874-0-33378100-1390445212_thumb.j

I know this is pretty necro, but what LED did you use for this? Did you need an additional resistor or to change the resistor?

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

13 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

I know this is pretty necro, but what LED did you use for this? Did you need an additional resistor or to change the resistor?

You can pretty much use any LED that physically fits. I would expect all modern mainboards to have a sufficient resistor already in place. One thing to note is that different colors of LEDs have a slightly different forward voltage so their brightness may vary a little. (more details) If you want to dimm the brightness to your liking you can add a resistor later but it wont be necessary for normal operation.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to dig out an old topic, but since "how to mod the power LED" is a recurring subject about Fractal's cases, I wanted to share my take on the matter :

Simply put, I took out the original power and HDD's LEDs (they are not of any use at this point) and placed an LED ring behind the transparent defuser, which I wired to my motherboard to the Corsair RGB pins. I could also have gone with a 5050-compatible (4wires) LED ring so it's not specific to Corsair's connector (3wires).

So, here I am with my usual phylosophy : it is totally useless, therefore absolutely indispensable.

I hope it will give ideas to some, and I'll come back when my case mod is finished