Help needed with Server/Nas/Home network Set up

Go to solution Solved by AverageAfro,

Thanks for the help guys! I think I have it figured out. I'll be setting up Nextcloud in a VM and then have it on all the computers/devices that need it. Then I found a couple ways I can back up the server which I'll be employing, although I'm not sure how deep I'll go down the redundancy hole there...

Then for the Ingest and storage of my projects whilst working at home I'll use a simple shared folder. and when not at home I can have the same set up just all in 1 computer haha.

Just as a pre-face, I couldn't figure out where to put this and as my help is mostly centred around setting up a NAS I thought here was best. Mods - If I'm wrong - move me? Sorry...

I'm going to be to the point and then explain why I'm here. I would like to set up a NAS/Sever (Not sure which applies here) I would like it to do the following in order of priority;

1. My family to be able to upload their pictures/videos to it from anywhere
  2. Them to be able to access it from anywhere and view the pictures on their devices (Desktops, laptops and a smart TV)
  3. Still be able to use it as a web viewer (From my Mum in her living room)
  4. Storage for my editing projects
  5. Ingest Machine
  6. Extra rendering power for my projects.

Ok, so I don't think I'll get all of those! So basically I built a new computer and have given up on selling my older 1 so I'm putting it to good use and giving it to my grandparents. With this I'll have my desktop, my Mums desktop, and then the new Gparents desktop. 3 laptops a couple tablets and a smart TV. This now means trying to keep any and all files sorted and clean is going to be very difficult. As I'm the family go to for anything and everything tech related I need a way to consolidate all our media/documents into a single place so that no one loses anything!

My Mum can just drop her files onto it easily as she'll be in the same house as it. I'd like it so all she has to do is plug in her external HDD and the computer looks at what has changed since the last back up and just copies over the new stuff (I think this is possible?). Then for my Grandparents have it so there's Just a folder on her desktop called "Backup" or something and she just needs to put pictures in a pictures folder and then documents in the another.

I'm not sure what information you need, but the computer I'd like to turn into this server/nas is i5 4690K, 8GB ram and a GTX 970. it's the one my Mum would use to watch TV from, so id' still need to be able to launch Chrome or something?

Edit: I should add that I haven't the slightest on how to go about setting any of this up. I'm a quick learner so just pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated

8 minutes ago, AverageAfro said:

Just as a pre-face, I couldn't figure out where to put this and as my help is mostly centred around setting up a NAS I thought here was best. Mods - If I'm wrong - move me? Sorry...

I'm going to be to the point and then explain why I'm here. I would like to set up a NAS/Sever (Not sure which applies here) I would like it to do the following in order of priority;

2. Them to be able to access it from anywhere and view the pictures on their devices (Desktops, laptops and a smart TV)
  5. Ingest Machine

Ok, so I don't think I'll get all of those! So basically I built a new computer and have given up on selling my older 1 so I'm putting it to good use and giving it to my grandparents. With this I'll have my desktop, my Mums desktop, and then the new Gparents desktop. 3 laptops a couple tablets and a smart TV. This now means trying to keep any and all files sorted and clean is going to be very difficult. As I'm the family go to for anything and everything tech related I need a way to consolidate all our media/documents into a single place so that no one loses anything!

My Mum can just drop her files onto it easily as she'll be in the same house as it. I'd like it so all she has to do is plug in her external HDD and the computer looks at what has changed since the last back up and just copies over the new stuff (I think this is possible?). Then for my Grandparents have it so there's Just a folder on her desktop called "Backup" or something and she just needs to put pictures in a pictures folder and then documents in the another.

I'm not sure what information you need, but the computer I'd like to turn into this server/nas is i5 4690K, 8GB ram and a GTX 970. it's the one my Mum would use to watch TV from, so id' still need to be able to launch Chrome or something?

That should work fine! The graphics card will work but is overkill for a server.

7 minutes ago, AverageAfro said:

My family to be able to upload their pictures/videos to it from anywhere

Nextcloud or Owncloud

7 minutes ago, AverageAfro said:

Them to be able to access it from anywhere and view the pictures on their devices (Desktops, laptops and a smart TV)

^^

Still be able to use it as a web viewer (From my Mum in her living room)

^^

Storage for my editing projects

Samba share

Ingest Machine

another samba share

Extra rendering power for my projects.

like a node or a dedicated rendering machine?

9 minutes ago, AverageAfro said:

It will be sluggish when you are rendering possibly.

3 minutes ago, Ryois said:

like a node or a dedicated rendering machine?

It will be sluggish when you are rendering possibly.

A node if possible, my current PC is rocking a GTX1080 and r1700 so it's more powerful than that 1 but any extra is always nice when rendering times suck.

It being sluggish will be fine, my Mum doesn't use it very often and it'd only be a node when I'm at home and rendering

2 minutes ago, AverageAfro said:

A node if possible, my current PC is rocking a GTX1080 and r1700 so it's more powerful that that 1 but any extra is always nice when rendering times suck.

Ok, so what are you rendering from? AE, Pr, Blender, DR?

2 minutes ago, AverageAfro said:

It being sluggish will be fine, my Mum doesn't use it very often and it'd only be a node when I'm at home and rendering

ok

Just now, Ryois said:

Ok, so what are you rendering from? AE, Pr, Blender, DR?

AE, Pr, and DR

4 hours ago, Ryois said:

Nextcloud

Samba share

How do I get these both running on the same computer? As well as this, once it's set up say I have my computer in my room and the server computer in the living room. I copy a file from the server (Which I assume will appear as a drive under network?) to my own computer. What is that copy speed dependant on?

I ask because once I've got this all set up I'll be using Adobe Media Encoder and watch folders to automatically create proxies and and I want those proxies to either be automatically copied to my computer, or made directly on my computer.

Just now, AverageAfro said:

How do I get these both running on the same computer? As well as this, once it's set up say I have my computer in my room and the server computer in the living room. I copy a file from the server (Which I assume will appear as a drive under network?) to my own computer. What is that copy speed dependant on?

I ask because once I've got this all set up I'll be using Adobe Media Encoder and watch folders to automatically create proxies and and I want those proxies to either be automatically copied to my computer, or made directly on my computer.

Is the server running Linux or Windows.

Linux https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How to Create a Network Share Via Samba Via CLI (Command-line interface/Linux Terminal) - Uncomplicated%2C Simple and Brief Way!

Windows https://lifehacker.com/5808814/how-to-share-a-folder-over-your-network-for-beginners

Owncloud is Linux only but, https://owncloud.org/install/

5 hours ago, AverageAfro said:

5. Ingest Machine

Edit: I should add that I haven't the slightest on how to go about setting any of this up. I'm a quick learner so just pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated

try enabling file and printer shareing then add NAS drives to public folders of windows pc that is to be server

now anyone under your network will have access to these shared files and drives and this pc can also be a windows update node(it downloads updates then sends to other networked windows devices saving ISP bandwidth)

Thanks for the help guys! I think I have it figured out. I'll be setting up Nextcloud in a VM and then have it on all the computers/devices that need it. Then I found a couple ways I can back up the server which I'll be employing, although I'm not sure how deep I'll go down the redundancy hole there...

Then for the Ingest and storage of my projects whilst working at home I'll use a simple shared folder. and when not at home I can have the same set up just all in 1 computer haha.