Should i use another router just to hook it up to my pc?

RedgreengamerYT

so,my download speed is crap and i want to improve it,i already have a router but should i get another one just to hook it up to my pc

Adding more routers isn't going to improve your download-speeds.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Are you meaning your download speed you pay for is bad, or the connection to your current router is bad?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Adding more router will just make it worse tho: NAT conflict and things.

I suggest to fix the connections between your router and your PC, or it's your own plan you've use.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

13 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Adding more router will just make it worse tho: NAT conflict and things.

I suggest to fix the connections between your router and your PC, or it's your own plan you've use.

first things first

NAT errors occur with multiple routers only when programed wrong

the whole internet is router to router to router etc system

understand your network gateway and not the routers as only router attached to modem is real gateway for wan

any router hooked to this router is only gateway to the real gateway

professor messor routing video on youtube

7 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

first things first

NAT errors occur with multiple routers only when programed wrong

the whole internet is router to router to router etc system

understand your network gateway and not the routers as only router attached to modem is real gateway for wan

any router hooked to this router is only gateway to the real gateway

Double NAT is a real problem and has nothing to do with programming and everything to do with configuration, which I suspect you mean to say.

The whole internet is routers but they don't use NAT, that's for consumers 99.99% of the time. There is CG NAT as well which will kill your ability to port-forward, just like double NAT will.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, bcguru9384 said:

You've mentioned this youtube channel in two different topics already so I was curious and looked it up, but there is not professor messor, there is a professor messer. He seems to have a lot of different video's so I'm curious to which one(s) you are refering too where he mentioned stuff like this, because in both topics where I saw you mention this you where factual wrong so now I'm curious if this is to do due to the video or you not understanding the video correctly.

5 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

You've mentioned this youtube channel in two different topics already so I was curious and looked it up, but there is not professor messor, there is a professor messer. He seems to have a lot of different video's so I'm curious to which one(s) you are refering too where he mentioned stuff like this, because in both topics where I saw you mention this you where factual wrong so now I'm curious if this is to do due to the video or you not understanding the video correctly.

i suck with spelling

its guy kinda balding about mid40's to early 50's

messer messor to me sound same soooooo go with one found

also check out cisco channel as they have a bunch great vids

1 minute ago, bcguru9384 said:

i suck with spelling

its guy kinda balding about mid40's to early 50's

messer messor to me sound same soooooo go with one found

also check out cisco channel as they have a bunch great vids

no problem if you suck with spelling ... but if you recommend stuff or use it as source material you might want to double check it ;).
But still you haven't answered my question. He has a lot of video's and I can see 6 or 7 of them to be about routing (at least), so which one are you referring to?

And I know about the cisco things ... I'm a CCNA.

27 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

no problem if you suck with spelling ... but if you recommend stuff or use it as source material you might want to double check it ;).
But still you haven't answered my question. He has a lot of video's and I can see 6 or 7 of them to be about routing (at least), so which one are you referring to?

And I know about the cisco things ... I'm a CCNA.

should just be routing or routing tables

about 9 mins long but its near 7 min mark he has a diagram of the 2 router route with quickbit about NAT errors

routing tables comptia 13mins long

yup forgot how many have routing in title my bad sorry

2 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

should just be routing or routing tables

about 9 mins long but its near 7 min mark he has a diagram of the 2 router route with quickbit about NAT errors

routing tables comptia 13mins long

yup forgot how many have routing in title my bad sorry

So you are refering to this:

First of all he isn't talking about NAT here at all.
Secondly it's a completly different setup as the one you where describing in the other topic.

Please stop misinforming people :) okay?

5 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

So you are refering to this:

First of all he isn't talking about NAT here at all.
Secondly it's a completly different setup as the one you where describing in the other topic.

Please stop misinforming people :) okay?

see chart and how router 2 talks to router 1(note their gateways addresses and dhcp pools)

and anyone who has 1 modem with 2 routers will use this same style setup

no misinformation

12min mark this device does not have direct access to internet but has to go thru the 2 routers

he actually showing how mediacom was setup in this area (quadcities) decade ago(they assigned 10 and 12 dot addresses to modems and we clients assigned 192 dot to our routers)

10 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

see chart and how router 2 talks to router 1(note their gateways addresses and dhcp pools)

no misinformation

There are NO DHCP pools anywhere in this video. These are subnets on which clients live, their gateway address they send traffic to when they don't know how to get out and the interface off which that gateway or other route will egress the computer, router, etc.

At the 12 minute mark he's talking about a device coming in and what happens if you don't have a, in this case static, route back to the internal network and how you need to have a route on the internet facing router to get back into the network. There is no talk of NAT in any way, shape, or form, in that video.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

no misinformation

There is no DHCP mentioned here. This whole video is about the routing tables. Also in a routing table multiple gateways are able to pop up.
If you look at round 9 minutes you'll see he is evaluating the router between the client and the edge router.
The default router here is 0.0.0.0/0 which goes to 10.1.10.1 so. So this means the default gateway is set to the edge router on this router.
If you look at 6 minutes in the video you'll see the 0.0.0.0/0 route going to the 192.168.1.1 router, so that means the default gateway here is the router which is in between. So @Lurick was right, and the guy in this video is saying it the same.

Also about the things you said in the other topic, he has a 10.1.10.0/24 network between the edge router and the second router. If he would have set up a dhcp server on this port than he would have set the range from 10.1.10.1 to 10.1.10.254.
On the part between the second router and the client he has a 192.168.1.0/24 network, which means if he would have set up the DHCP here it would be between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254

2 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

12min mark this device does not have direct access to internet but has to go thru the 2 routers

he actually showing how mediacom was setup in this area (quadcities) decade ago(they assigned 10 and 12 dot addresses to modems and we clients assigned 192 dot to our routers)

This has nothing to do with NAT. What he is saying here is, if you aren't using NAT you have to make sure the Routes are avaible on both the way in and way out. That's why for most consumer models you will set up a NAT if you are chain linking routers because consumers aren't aware on how to set up routes. You could also opt to use a protocol like OSPF or RIP. Some consumer routers I encountered allowed for RIP to be running on your network so you could discover these routes automaticly. You could also opt to add them manually, but it would require the knowledge of routing.

Please understand that what in the consumer world is considered a router is just a very small piece of what a router can do. Most consumers don't use a router for it's routing capabilities. They only use it to perform NAT so they have one public IP with multiple devices behind it. And most people use it for the DHCP server which is build in. But the actual routing options are rarely touched, and tunneling etc isn't used at all. If people are using tunnels they normally have a VPN client running on their client itself to do the tunneling, they don't use the routers for it.
If you are going to use these video's to prove your point please first understand what is mentioned.