Looking at making a LTT documentary

Hey everyone!

So I'm a second year film student at Niagara College in Welland, Ontario. For my final year ( or is it the final semester?) next year I need to make a 10 minute documentary. I know it's pretty far into the future but it's probably better to get started planning now. What's the odds of something like this getting approved? Is there any way of getting in touch with Linus to discuss something like this? Would anyone be interested in this? This whole thing hasn't been completely thought out, I'd just like to know the feasibility of it before investing too much time in to it.

Thanks!

You can send him a PM on here but I can't guarantee he will reply.  

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 hour ago, Stormegadan said:

Hey everyone!

So I'm a second year film student at Niagara College in Welland, Ontario. For my final year ( or is it the final semester?) next year I need to make a 10 minute documentary. I know it's pretty far into the future but it's probably better to get started planning now. What's the odds of something like this getting approved? Is there any way of getting in touch with Linus to discuss something like this? Would anyone be interested in this? This whole thing hasn't been completely thought out, I'd just like to know the feasibility of it before investing too much time in to it.

Thanks!

You can try, but I doubt it. You know how bust a typical work day for them was. And they did discuss a period where they've got a third party to film one. Though that turned out to be a disaster because the company changed drastically within that time period

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can try, but I doubt it. You know how bust a typical work day for them was. And they did discuss a period where they've got a third party to film one. Though that turned out to be a disaster because the company changed drastically within that time period

I understand that they can be super busy, which is why I'm trying to figure out the logistics almost a year in advance. The beauty of my project is that since it's a marked project, it has a set in stone type of deadline that I would only have maybe 2ish weeks for post after wrapping. Giving up part way & handing them the footage to finish editing would not be an option, so unless they have a dramatic change in a couple weeks my film would still be relevant (at least for a bit). The other question of would this woukd have an interested audience is still a big thing I'm trying to figure out...

1 minute ago, Stormegadan said:

The other question of would this woukd have an interested audience is still a big thing I'm trying to figure out...

They have a pretty big following, so you might be surprised

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

They have a pretty big following, so you might be surprised

That is a very good point

14 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Since this would just be letting a guy film them for free rather than paying someone to create a product they asked for, it changes the dynamic a bit so a repeat of last time shouldn't be a concern, but I agree that the time it would take out of their day(s) to allow someone to make something like this, among other concerns, would probably make the idea rather unappealing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Since this would just be letting a guy film them for free rather than paying someone to create a product they asked for, it changes the dynamic a bit so a repeat of last time shouldn't be a concern, but I agree that the time it would take out of their day(s) to allow someone to make something like this, among other concerns, would probably make the idea rather unappealing.

It changes the dynamics a bit, but I would imagine Linus would still want some control over what is shown/not shown and how it is edited. Basically he'll probably want to be able to sign off on the finished product. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have to agree there... I would have to set up interviews with staff, especially staff that have been there since the days of old. Linus in particular would require a lot of planning to coordinate an interview time. When filming 'B' roll I have the advantage of using the smaller documentary kit that our school lends to third year students. Also I'm a fairly capable camera op & DOP, so blocking shots to exclude sensitive work wouldn't be difficult.

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It changes the dynamics a bit, but I would imagine Linus would still want some control over what is shown/not shown and how it is edited. Basically he'll probably want to be able to sign off on the finished product. 

I fully expect Linus to want control over what is allowed to be shown. That would be discussed during planning. I'd be ok with almost any edit so long as we could reshoot something simular to fill the space, especially if it's a part required for marks or decent storytelling.