which cpu should i buy

i wanna know which cpu to buy, a coffee lake i5 8400 or a ryze 1600, i am planning to pair it wit a gtx 1080

If you want to overclock, go Ryzen

if you want more upgradeability, go Ryzen

if you really need multicore performance, go Ryzen

Otherwise, go with Intel if it's cheaper.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I still prefer the Ryzen 1600 or 1700 to anything but the I7. In terms of value and performance I can't bring myself to support even a 6 core i5. In the end though imho either of these will bring you a lot of performance and happy computing.

3 hours ago, Conan1600 said:

I still prefer the Ryzen 1600 or 1700 to anything but the I7. In terms of value and performance I can't bring myself to support even a 6 core i5. In the end though imho either of these will bring you a lot of performance and happy computing.

The i5 8400 is actually a very good value gaming chip if you can find it close to its MSRP, which is easier said than done with all the current price gouging going on. You do have to pay more for a Z370 motherboard, which hurts its value argument, but it can also run well with cheaper DDR4-2666 memory, something that can't be said for Ryzen - gaming performance tanks when paired with anything less than DDR4-3200 CL14 RAM

5 hours ago, epsilon84 said:

The i5 8400 is actually a very good value gaming chip if you can find it close to its MSRP, which is easier said than done with all the current price gouging going on. You do have to pay more for a Z370 motherboard, which hurts its value argument, but it can also run well with cheaper DDR4-2666 memory, something that can't be said for Ryzen - gaming performance tanks when paired with anything less than DDR4-3200 CL14 RAM

do you absolutely need a z370 board for the 8400? i mean it's not the 8600k right? back in z170 days you could get a b150 board for way cheaper.