CPU cooling from the back of the MB

Andepen

First I would like to say hey, I'm new here.

If I post this in the wrong subforum, I am sorry. I checked them out, didn't know if I should post in CPU/MB/RAM, Air cooling or Modding subforum. 

Moderators, please move the topic if you think this belongs somewhere else.

When I woke up I browsed social medias for a lil while and found this:

https://i.imgur.com/dEivq93.jpg

A fan mounted on the back of the MB towards the CPU.

I don't care about the directional airflow of the fan in the picture. Don't fill the topic with discussions about this please. :) 

My question is, is this a method that is used to get better performance on the CPU or the MB?

Are there cases that supports this kind of mounting? (both commercial avalible and custom-made or custom side panels)

How big of a performance method could you get with this?

Feel free to talk about this and share experience and ideas.

Can't really recall I've seen any videos of this kind of cooling from LTT so it would be great fun to see their approach on this cooling method.

Hopefully I will try to use the forum and share ideas and gain knowledge myself as the hobby PC-nerd I am.

Take care, Andepen.

i dont think it has any direct benefit in my mind, unless the heat sinks are directly behind some vrms or something similar(which i dont think they are) 

this to me looks like someone getting paranoid and trying to actively cool their socket?

8 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

this to me looks like someone getting paranoid and trying to actively cool their socket?

same

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

24 minutes ago, Andepen said:

My question is, is this a method that is used to get better performance on the CPU or the MB?

Are there cases that supports this kind of mounting? (both commercial avalible and custom-made or custom side panels)

How big of a performance method could you get with this?

No, it's very clearly someone just glued those aluminum heatsinks to the back and screwed a small fan to them. It's not an official thing in any way or form, so no, there are no cases specifically designed to support this kind of a thing. Also, that's a stupid idea to begin with, it won't help with CPU-temperatures; the actual silicon that gets all hot-and-bothered is on the other side of the PCB, the layers that that fan is blowing at are where the traces for the socket-pins run in and they don't get nearly as hot -- you might get something like one or two degrees of difference at best.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

There have been some cases which have mounts for fans behind the mobo. But unless case supports stuff like that with intake holes and vents, its not going to do much.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

these kind of mods were applicable to AMD cpus, putting a heatsink and a fan at the back to lower cpu socket tempt. 

this is intended for overclocking only, because cpu socket temperature hit the limit first before the core temp does.