popping and crackling sound

this has started up recently and it's really getting on my nerves.

ever since the update for windows 10 for the creators fall update, a few days later the sound in my headset (plantronics RIG 600) starts popping and cracking at random moments. sometimes it's just a little barely noticeable one and other times it is obvious. i thought my headset was 'dying' or broken so i plugged them into my phone (both the mic and audio spliter and the direct) with the same music/audio thinking it might had something to do with how the song played but it does not crackle and pop on the phone. I tried turning on and off razer surround, i tried re-plugging the AUX back in at both the front and back of the PC yet after a few hours or days it comes back. I did at one time re-installed the audio drivers for the motherboard and that did seem to fix it but only for a day and it came back.

any help would be nice as this has been really bugging me and has been going on for too long.

also if there is way to go back before the creators fall update to see if it is the update, a step by step for it would be nice too.

you can always use system restore, can't you? Considering that you have a save for pre-update. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Just now, Jasun said:

you can always use system restore, can't you? Considering that you have a save for pre-update. 

would that affect any of my programs such as steam remembering where the games are installed and user login?

1 minute ago, mozzie 98 said:

would that affect any of my programs such as steam remembering where the games are installed and user login?

It shouldn't, unless you installed steam & your games after the update, then it might cause some problems. 

edit: system restore will also tell you what programs it will have to uninstall to proceed, so you can always check that, just in case. 

Edited by Jasun

1 minute ago, Jasun said:

It shouldn't, unless you installed steam & your games after the update, then it might cause some problems. 

alright i'll give it a shot right now, ill come back after it a give the audio a test for about 30 minutes and see what comes back. thanks :)

1 hour ago, Jasun said:

edit: system restore will also tell you what programs it will have to uninstall to proceed, so you can always check that, just in case. 

so far it has done the trick, but I'll have to see if it stays like this or suddenly comes back. thanks for your help :) 

On 10/29/2017 at 12:41 PM, Jasun said:

after doing the system restore it has now come back again today, did not last long like how a re-installed the audio driver.

Sounds like something with your windows update corrupted your sound working files. Last resort; reinstall windows.

I've been having this exact same problem since the fall creators update. Have you found a solution for this yet? I've been looking everywhere but still haven't found any solutions that worked.

On 11/6/2017 at 2:01 AM, heethoofd27 said:

I've been having this exact same problem since the fall creators update. Have you found a solution for this yet? I've been looking everywhere but still haven't found any solutions that worked.

Same.

Here's something interesting: I recorded my computer's audio output in Audacity using "Realtek 2nd output" which I have my headphones plugged in and there is almost no popping/crackling. It happened only one time in the entire song I was recording when before it would be out of control in the amount of popping going on. Crazy. I stopped recording and it started back up.

I checked DPC latency with Latencymon and haven't found any problems. The random crackles also happen on the front panel audio jacks. It doesn't however happen on the audio jack on my hdmi monitor. So it seems to be a problem with the integrated audio. Is yours also a Realtek audio controller?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 4:26 AM, mozzie 98 said:

this has started up recently and it's really getting on my nerves.

ever since the update for windows 10 for the creators fall update, a few days later the sound in my headset (plantronics RIG 600) starts popping and cracking at random moments. sometimes it's just a little barely noticeable one and other times it is obvious. i thought my headset was 'dying' or broken so i plugged them into my phone (both the mic and audio spliter and the direct) with the same music/audio thinking it might had something to do with how the song played but it does not crackle and pop on the phone. I tried turning on and off razer surround, i tried re-plugging the AUX back in at both the front and back of the PC yet after a few hours or days it comes back. I did at one time re-installed the audio drivers for the motherboard and that did seem to fix it but only for a day and it came back.

any help would be nice as this has been really bugging me and has been going on for too long.

also if there is way to go back before the creators fall update to see if it is the update, a step by step for it would be nice too.

Check here.:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1026652/geforce-drivers/387-98-causes-dpc-sound-crackling-and-poping-updated-still-happend-in-388-00/ 

I've been having the same issues even after updating to that specific nvidia driver. I hope that a real fix is found soon because this is driving me crazy.

You guys are not alone... no fix to date that I know of