Second thoughts on 7700k

So I've bought a 7700k a few months back, maybe like 6 months? It was on a great offer which put it on same price point [it was a 1-2 day offer thing and i snaged it] as a 7700 non K version
Realized I was never overclocking that much as I felt even stock speeds were damn fast already I'm just a bit skeptical. Not saying it's a bad chip by all means or obsolete [Coffee Lake Out now]

Could someone possibly shade some light am I really missing out that much more by not boosting it to 4.9-5.0GHz at 1.3-1.4V and just using the stock/automatic clocks of a 7700K [4.2GHz up to turbo 4.5GHz]

Since I'm primarily gaming at 1440p on a 165Hz monitor which is a huge step up for me over 1080p gaming, do you think by not putting in that overclock on the CPU would I be bottlenecking myself, or is the GPU [1080Ti Strix OC] just still the bottleneck as usual at 1440p. Because for me overclocking the GPU is piss easy since the Strix has a very good profile and reputation for cooling. But technically more concern with CPU for gaming wise and overall minor usage.

Some questions I'd like to ask in simpler terms:
1) Would 1440p technically still place more bottleneck on the Graphics rather than the CPU since the 1080Ti doesn't always power the Graphics exactly at 165Hz for all games (im fine with 100-140Hz on a single card it's silky smooth for me). Whereas it would be an issue on the 1080p gaming side since 1080p is piss easy to render the graphics.

2) Has anyone felt like they didn't miss out on overclocking their cpu long term and using the stock speeds (i felt it was somewhat super fast for my needs already despite the fact the Potenital to overclock IS THERE)... that even I tried overclocking my chip to 5GHz and i don't really see much improvement? Is this wrong statement could someone shed some light on what I should really test to see the benefits of an extra 400-500MHz over say running stock speeds.

I hope I sorta have worded the issue/points/etc above clearly... it just kinda struck me after awhile. No I'm not selling the chip soon by all means I'm just curious to see the ideas that float around regarding overall performance in games at 1440p and daily usage [some basic productivity tasks, nothing as extreme as video rendering i dont do that, mostly photographs is my main line of work]

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

most people don't overclock their CPU or GPU

as for missing out, you bought the top of the line at the time for gaming (both CPU and graphics card) although coffee lake would give better performance, no real need to go 8700k at all, 7700k probably will be good for 3-4 years, I don't forsee much of an improvement on the CPU side (except more cores but most games don't take advantage yet) 

1: yes 1440 puts more on the GPU, a faster CPU will still help though.

If you haven't delided the chip, I wouldn't recommend using too much voltage. If you don't plan to delid I recommend atleast a 4.5-4.7 all core OC with under 1.3v. If your motherboard has auto multi core enhancement enabled, its been overclocking itself to 4.5 anyway.

26 minutes ago, xsimplyjosh said:

So I've bought a 7700k a few months back, maybe like 6 months? It was on a great offer which put it on same price point [it was a 1-2 day offer thing and i snaged it] as a 7700 non K version
Realized I was never overclocking that much as I felt even stock speeds were damn fast already I'm just a bit skeptical. Not saying it's a bad chip by all means or obsolete [Coffee Lake Out now]

Could someone possibly shade some light am I really missing out that much more by not boosting it to 4.9-5.0GHz at 1.3-1.4V and just using the stock/automatic clocks of a 7700K [4.2GHz up to turbo 4.5GHz]

Since I'm primarily gaming at 1440p on a 165Hz monitor which is a huge step up for me over 1080p gaming, do you think by not putting in that overclock on the CPU would I be bottlenecking myself, or is the GPU [1080Ti Strix OC] just still the bottleneck as usual at 1440p. Because for me overclocking the GPU is piss easy since the Strix has a very good profile and reputation for cooling. But technically more concern with CPU for gaming wise and overall minor usage.

Some questions I'd like to ask in simpler terms:
1) Would 1440p technically still place more bottleneck on the Graphics rather than the CPU since the 1080Ti doesn't always power the Graphics exactly at 165Hz for all games (im fine with 100-140Hz on a single card it's silky smooth for me). Whereas it would be an issue on the 1080p gaming side since 1080p is piss easy to render the graphics.

2) Has anyone felt like they didn't miss out on overclocking their cpu long term and using the stock speeds (i felt it was somewhat super fast for my needs already despite the fact the Potenital to overclock IS THERE)... that even I tried overclocking my chip to 5GHz and i don't really see much improvement? Is this wrong statement could someone shed some light on what I should really test to see the benefits of an extra 400-500MHz over say running stock speeds.

I hope I sorta have worded the issue/points/etc above clearly... it just kinda struck me after awhile. No I'm not selling the chip soon by all means I'm just curious to see the ideas that float around regarding overall performance in games at 1440p and daily usage [some basic productivity tasks, nothing as extreme as video rendering i dont do that, mostly photographs is my main line of work]

At 1440p you are not missing out much. And yes, the 1080Ti does struggle above 1440p 144Hz in many titles.

42 minutes ago, xsimplyjosh said:

I have to be honest i got what i'd call a Dud 4790k, The thing REALLY struggles to overclock past 4.5. But honestly i feel like its just a pissing contest for Mainstream I7's at this point. Unless your planning as stated before to go the whole hog and delid you are not likely to make massive gains without the chip being too hot.

I doubt it would give you much in game even If it gave you 2 frames more would it even be worth it ? 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Not sure why everyone is saying that you need to delid. I'm using a $45 air cooler and getting 4.9Ghz with 1.31 volts. (going a bit overboard on voltage for increased RAM speed) I could do 1.35vcore for 5Ghz, but it wasn't worth it for the increased heat. That being said, if you tune more than just the vcore, you can get fantastic performance at a very low temp on the 7700k. Follow this little guide, should free up a good 15-20c

Yeah I'm just on the consensus of leaving it at stock speeds for now with auto boost, also it's summer here so my room is a bit warmer ambient temps wise.

@Colty I'll give that a try later thanks for the protip and the detailed reddit guideline, i personally haven't delidded my cpu tho my friend is doing an express shipping + delid in aus w/ return delivery here for about 40-45$. considering how expensive express shipping is here normally [auspost] i may give it the shot later when i get some monies back :D wish he was in Perth rather than tassie then i could cut the extra shippings :(

pretty much, 1440p gaming imo the sweet spot for high fps gaming on a single card that's why i'm just wondering personally that overclocking the cpu won't ield much benefit, sli maybe? but that would be busting my price range :P which is why i sorta popped up the question about overclocking a 7700k, even with stock speeds it's damn fast already for what it really is even tho some say coffe lake/ryzen is out.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

On 10/20/2017 at 4:27 PM, Ezilkannan said:

At 1440p you are not missing out much. And yes, the 1080Ti does struggle above 1440p 144Hz in many titles.

pretty much, i don't play those games that have struggle keeping high fps => like pubg/civilization VI/ashes singularity/deus ex... but more stuff like Prey, dh2, tomb raider & the upcoming destiny 2 [which i heard has great optimization which allows it to perform exceptional even on lower tier cards too]

but as long as I can maintain >100Fps as the min i'm pretty much happy since 100 vs 144hz becomes less apparent... compared to 60 vs 100hz*

---

On 10/20/2017 at 4:27 PM, TrigrH said:

1: yes 1440 puts more on the GPU, a faster CPU will still help though.

If you haven't delided the chip, I wouldn't recommend using too much voltage. If you don't plan to delid I recommend atleast a 4.5-4.7 all core OC with under 1.3v. If your motherboard has auto multi core enhancement enabled, its been overclocking itself to 4.5 anyway.

i may plan to delid the chip later on in a month or two, its about 40-45$ here [with two way shipping included] a guy is doing it in favor for the enthusiasts in aus at a bit of cost... considering the delid tool + conductonaut here is expensive just for a one use case for me to buy i'm tinkering about the former option later on...

i intend to keep my system as long as it can hence the abv option. hopefully, even if newer games come out that has more demand I hope [hope] still can hold above 80fps at the very least on 1440p with the 1080ti minimum bare . as long i dont change the resolution [monitor] up a notch i should be fine hopefully

---

i7 7700k + 1080 Ti is still all you need to game ANY THING, frankly I get it the buyers regret because new stuff is released all the time, I also felt upgrading my i7 6700 to an i7 8700k and I almost did it, I just didn't because of this paper launch bullshit no i7's available and no mATX boards available (I wanted the specific form factory).

But then again any Intel i7 processor since the second generation are perfectly capable gaming processors, if gaming really is your priority there isn't much how to justify any upgrade as for right now, 5 fps extra on unrealistic display settings are not going to change your world.

If any thing wait for us to finally leave 14nm lithography, 10nm is incoming at last, like me I have decided that if I do have the money laying around I will only upgrade the i7 6700 now for a 10nm processor, that is a fact.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

i7 7700k + 1080 Ti is still all you need to game ANY THING, frankly I get it the buyers regret because new stuff is released all the time, I also felt upgrading my i7 6700 to an i7 8700k and I almost did it, I just didn't because of this paper launch bullshit no i7's available and no mATX boards available (I wanted the specific form factory).

But then again any Intel i7 processor since the second generation are perfectly capable gaming processors, if gaming really is your priority there isn't much how to justify any upgrade as for right now, 5 fps extra on unrealistic display settings are not going to change your world.

If any thing wait for us to finally leave 14nm lithography, 10nm is incoming at last, like me I have decided that if I do have the money laying around I will only upgrade the i7 6700 now for a 10nm processor, that is a fact.

Yea that was the funny thing about intel's current Gen8 launch. despite releasing the full lineup of the 8th gen chips, [Most] of the locked chips don't seem to be a viable option as of now with Z370 boards up only [that are made for potential overclocking]...

my productivity consists pretty much of photography and string of photo editing... just depends on demand of clients [no videography/3d rendering at all] on the adobe platforms... if that sorta helps shed some light.

you'd best probably wait to 10nm i guess... i think for me im hoping my system can go as long as it can go since i rarely upgrade often [hate reselling items, if not i just drive them to EOL and let it be although some might digress with the way i do things].

---