Budget Monitor

T_Steelers
Go to solution Solved by T_Steelers,

I think I have answered my own question regarding one monitor in hdmi while the other being dvi, so no further help will be needed unless you have more monitor suggestions. Thanks @TheLiquidDiamond and @5Beans6!

Unless other monitors are suggested I think I will go with what I originally had planned. The HP monitor you linked me to doesn't have dvi, so I could save a few bucks by not having to buy an adapter.

Hi, I am wanting to replace my tv that I am currently using with a dual monitor setup. But first, before going and answering that, I need help with something else. Because my gpu only comes with a single hdmi port, would I be able to plug one into the gpu and the other into the mobo without having duplicate screens? If the answer is no, stop here as there is no need to continue unless you have a potential solution.

If yes, then what monitor would be a good option to run a budget (about $280 or less) dual monitor setup? Also, if there is a game-changing difference by spending an additional $10-20 on each monitor in this price range then feel free to include it too. *Note: If possible, I would like it to be compatible with a vesa mount as well but I would not consider it a deal-breaker if it isn't. 

-This is what I have been set on for awhile, but I wanted to explore other options in this price range that you may suggest, as well as confirm that this is a good option for what I am looking for.

let me look at amazon. Do you have a specific brand you'd like? and also, if you need help with that, I believe there is an hdmi splitter, but you might need to fight so that you are getting two different desktops. I have never done it.

1 minute ago, TheLiquidDiamond said:

let me look at amazon. Do you have a specific brand you'd like? and also, if you need help with that, I believe there is an hdmi splitter, but you might need to fight so that you are getting two different desktops. I have never done it.

I have no preference on brand in exception to Benq monitors, which I dislike simply because of the way they look which may sound silly, but I am very OCD about things like that. I'm the type of guy to have a budget system and overspend on making it look nice and tidy, as you could see if you looked at my last post.

hey, I run with an old dell 24' from 2004. I dont like most of the designs of most modern monitors anyways.

Let me check for you.

14 minutes ago, TheLiquidDiamond said:

an hdmi splitter alone will  not in any way give you two seperate desktops. An hdmi port is designed to transfer the data of one display only and has no support for encoding the data of two displays over the same cable

Thanks a ton, kinda liking that HP monitor. I guess my final decision will be between it and the acer monitor I listed above. If I manage to bypass the single hdmi port issue that is.

1 minute ago, 5Beans6 said:

an hdmi splitter alone will  not in any way give you two seperate desktops. An hdmi port is designed to transfer the data of one display only and has no support for encoding the data of two displays over the same cable

Does a vga connection have something that could support this via a single port?

Just now, T_Steelers said:

Does a vga connection have something that could support this via a single port?

No, as far as I am aware there is no standard connector used by anything that an average person would have that supports multiple monitors out of the same port

Just now, 5Beans6 said:

No, as far as I am aware there is no standard connector used by anything that an average person would have that supports multiple monitors out of the same port

Darn. Well back to what I said earlier, would plugging one hdmi into the gpu and the other into the mobo work?

Just now, T_Steelers said:

Darn. Well back to what I said earlier, would plugging one hdmi into the gpu and the other into the mobo work?

No because once you have a graphics card plugged in, your processor offloads the graphics processing to that card and the graphics processor in your cpu is not active.

3 minutes ago, T_Steelers said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here...

not really. Using an nvidia card and intel graphics don't work. graphics restriction. either or. But if it's the same, like if you have two nvidia drivers but not in sli, you might use one as a main card, and the second as a physx controller. When you plug a monitor and cable into both, you end up with resolution problems on the second card because it's the same picture, but it's displaying the information going to your main card.

Just now, 5Beans6 said:

Sorry to be the barer of bad news here...

No problem, saved me from spending another $140 on another monitor that I wouldn't be able to put to use.

not really. Using an nvidia card and intel graphics don't work. graphics restriction. either or. But if it's the same, like if you have two nvidia drivers but not in sli, you might use one as a main card, and the second as a physx controller. When you plug a monitor and cable into both, you end up with resolution problems on the second card because it's the same picture, but it's displaying the information going to your main card.

Seems I have two choices at this point. Either deal with a single monitor or try to pull of using an hdmi splitter which probably won't work, and someone will probably confirm that it's not possible later.

well here's a question. What is your grahpics card? Maybe this could be better if you we saw the back and stuff.

12 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here...

Wait, final solution that I think might just work. Would having one monitor on hdmi and the other on dvi be feasible? Despite the fact that one monitor would not output any sound.

11 minutes ago, TheLiquidDiamond said:

well here's a question. What is your grahpics card? Maybe this could be better if you we saw the back and stuff.

I have a gtx 1050 from evga.

I think I have answered my own question regarding one monitor in hdmi while the other being dvi, so no further help will be needed unless you have more monitor suggestions. Thanks @TheLiquidDiamond and @5Beans6!

Unless other monitors are suggested I think I will go with what I originally had planned. The HP monitor you linked me to doesn't have dvi, so I could save a few bucks by not having to buy an adapter.