Help! New Monitor crashing computer

TheNewMasterD
Go to solution Solved by TheNewMasterD,

Turns out I needed to update the drivers for the monitor - duh. Thanks for the help!

Yesterday I got a new PG279Q from ASUS...everything was great until I started playing league and then my computer would do a hard reboot every 10 minutes. I haven’t changed anything else so this must be related to the monitor.

Any ideas on what the problem is or how I can fix it? I have a GTX 1060 6gb, i7-7700k, 16gb RAM. Thanks for the help!

3 minutes ago, TheNewMasterD said:

Yesterday I got a new PG279Q from ASUS...everything was great until I started playing league and then my computer would do a hard reboot every 10 minutes. I haven’t changed anything else so this must be related to the monitor.

Any ideas on what the problem is or how I can fix it? I have a GTX 1060 6gb, i7-7700k, 16gb RAM. Thanks for the help!

Change to HDMI or DVI

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Likely not related to the monitor directly, 2K at 165hz is a lot I think for a 1060 depending on game and graphics settings. Might be crashes related to the video card.

My mining journey

1 hour ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

Change to HDMI or DVI

I’ll try this but can you tell me why this might work?

1 hour ago, D Levy said:

Likely not related to the monitor directly, 2K at 165hz is a lot I think for a 1060 depending on game and graphics settings. Might be crashes related to the video card.

I think I would understand less FPS with 1440p than 1080p that I had before...but to totally crash the computer? I don’t think the graphics card is forced to push 165hz with the monitor either. With gsync the monitor just picks up frames when they are ready up to a max of 165hz.

I mixed some different ideas together there.. what I mean is it might be video card driver related, the monitor shouldn't cause a crash just from accepting an output from HDMI or DVI or displayport. Cables can go bad though, never seen a cable cause a crash. Use process of elimination, until you get a good idea of what could be the canidate.. hardware wise.. then software wise.

My mining journey

Turns out I needed to update the drivers for the monitor - duh. Thanks for the help!