Do i need same ram of same brand and same speed for upgrading my pc?

Hey guys,

Arjun here

I am upgrading my pc's ram.I am having right now hynix 2gb ddr3 1333 mhz ram in my pc.So should i get a new 4gb ddr3 ram of same hynix brand with same speed OR Can i get ram of any brand with any speed.

My motherboard :- Biostar h55 hd

It consists of 2 slots for ram which supports ram's of upto 4gb ddr3 1600mhz(OC) and what is the meaning of this (OC).

The frequency is above the default speed for DDR3 which is 1333. That's what the OC means. You do not need to buy the same DIMMs as what you have. Your motherboard(online or in the manual) will have a list of DIMMs that are officially compatible with it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No same brand same speed...check oit this video from linus

Bhai ye video dekh samaj aa jayega

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The frequency is above the default speed for DDR3 which is 1333. That's what the OC means. You do not need to buy the same DIMMs as what you have. Your motherboard(online or in the manual) will have a list of DIMMs that are officially compatible with it.

So do i need to overclock my pc if i wanna run 1600mhz ram.In my pc specs it is written 1600mhz (OC).

3 minutes ago, Arjun Sharma said:

So do i need to overclock my pc if i wanna run 1600mhz ram.In my pc specs it is written 1600mhz (OC).

You don't have to overclock the CPU. Overclocking RAM is primarily a motherboard feature.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

5 minutes ago, Arjun Sharma said:

Nope. But do bear in mind that running beyond the default clocks for DDR3 will make the memory controller run faster, causing instability. This is something you will need to test though, and more than likely it'll be fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

12 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Nope. But do bear in mind that running beyond the default clocks for DDR3 will make the memory controller run faster, causing instability. This is something you will need to test though, and more than likely it'll be fine.

So which is the best ram in Rs.2200.

I need  a 4gb ddr3 1333mhz.

1 hour ago, jass said:

No same brand same speed...check oit this video from linus

Bhai ye video dekh samaj aa jayega

Kaunsi sabse achi ram hai Rs.2200 mein.Mujhe chaiye 4gb ddr3 1333mhz wali.