Help- SSD or windows broken?

OddBook

I purchased a 120GB Kingston SSD (SA400S37) a few months ago and installed windows 10 on it. Yesterday, I come into my room to play some games on steam, and I notice that windows is unresponsive, so I restart. And windows won’t boot. I try to boot into safe mode, and it works (but cannot get networking to work, may have to do with the fact that I have a pcie WiFi card). So, I try everything I can find on google, and it still won’t boot properly, so I do a clean install from a bootable usb. And it works! For a couple minutes. Then it’s back to unresponsive, and a restart wont boot. Command prompt tells me my drive is fine, so I’m thinking that maybe Microsoft released a botched update, but I haven’t seen any other reports of windows doing this either. Help please

Can you try installing windows on another drive? Even if it's a mechanical drive that should give you an idea where the issue might be.

Assuming you're using another drive, you might have some nasty malware/virus/whatever somewhere, causing the OS to act up

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

3 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

What exactly do you mean by ‘unresponsive’? I had recently installed Windows 10 onto a spare Samsung SSD salvaged from my ThinkPad, and it worked wonderfully until I updated the system. Same deal after a total wipe and clean reinstall… the keyboard and mouse would not work at all, yet for some reason it appeared to be running okay otherwise. Totally helpless without a fucking keyboard, so I had to cut A/C power twice to get it to boot into recovery mode, and at that point input worked for me to perform a system restore. Then it works until I update.

Same deal, except none of the recovery options worked for me, all of them came up with some unknown error and could not complete

20 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Can you try installing windows on another drive? Even if it's a mechanical drive that should give you an idea where the issue might be.

Assuming you're using another drive, you might have some nasty malware/virus/whatever somewhere, causing the OS to act up

So, I got windows working by taking my graphics card out and using my integrated graphics. Now, no graphics card I plug in will allow me to boot, but booting is no issue with my integrated graphics. Neither pcie x16 slot on my sabertooth z77 will work to boot, but my pcie WiFi card works in both. Any suggestions?

32 minutes ago, OddBook said:

So, I got windows working by taking my graphics card out and using my integrated graphics. Now, no graphics card I plug in will allow me to boot, but booting is no issue with my integrated graphics. Neither pcie x16 slot on my sabertooth z77 will work to boot, but my pcie WiFi card works in both. Any suggestions?

Board might be fucked.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Board might be fucked.

That's putting it pretty blunt there mate :)

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Board might be fucked.

Now those cards are working. I don’t know what’s going on. I might be losing my ever loving mind