Crashing System with PCIE Risers

LandonLM

I've been trying to setup a system with 2x 980tis with PCIe 1x-16x risers, USB connectors. I am able to boot normally and into windows but whenever a more than basic task is commenced the screen will black out or lock up the system. 

It's running a basic I3-3100 and 4 gigs of DDR4. 1375 Watt power supply, Thermaltake(Not janky) and a Gigabyte z170 motherboard. The system is just massively unstable. I even changed the motherboard from an ASUS z-170e which I thought had an issue with the CMOS battery and not retaining bios settings. 

Any help is appreciated :)

42 minutes ago, LandonLM said:

I've been trying to setup a system with 2x 980tis with PCIe 1x-16x risers, USB connectors. I am able to boot normally and into windows but whenever a more than basic task is commenced the screen will black out or lock up the system. 

It's running a basic I3-3100 and 4 gigs of DDR4. 1375 Watt power supply, Thermaltake(Not janky) and a Gigabyte z170 motherboard. The system is just massively unstable. I even changed the motherboard from an ASUS z-170e which I thought had an issue with the CMOS battery and not retaining bios settings. 

You need proper shielded PCI-E extender such as these, due to interference or signal loss it can cause issues with instability. 

https://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gaming-pc-liquid-modding-custom-computer-mnpctech-overclock-cooling-fan-grills/ezdiy-pci-express-16x-black-flexible-riser-graphics-card-extension-cable.html

-Moved to Modding Section-

1 hour ago, LandonLM said:

are you sure its an i3 3100? looks to me like it should be a 6100 or 7100 although for an i3, z170 is way overkill

4 hours ago, LandonLM said:

Looks like someone is mining xD

Simple answer is use a better quality riser. 

2 hours ago, LandonLM said:

It is mining, against the rules of the forum? 

https://bitcoinware.net/collections/gpu-mining/products/pci-e-express-1x-to-16x-riser-card-with-extended-length-usb-3-0-flex-cable 

These are the risers I am using. 

One more question why are u using risers any way ? You can run em directly if u have just 2 if i am not mistaken. The mobo has multiple x16 slots

Second thing have u checked the GPU individually on the motherboard do they work fine that way ? if plugged one at a time and directly into the GPU slot

4 minutes ago, DIY tech said:

One more question why are u using risers any way ? You can run em directly if u have just 2 if i am not mistaken. The mobo has multiple x16 slots

Second thing have u checked the GPU individually on the motherboard do they work fine that way ? if plugged one at a time and directly into the GPU slot

The risers are in anticipation and preparation for more cards. I did try the GPU individually on my own rig and they both work properly.

45 minutes ago, LandonLM said:

The risers are in anticipation and preparation for more cards. I did try the GPU individually on my own rig and they both work properly.

They work perfectly fine then buddy its obvious that those risers are not good enough. I am not into mining to advise u something that will work for sure. So i think you should wait for some expert to step in and advise  

Just now, DIY tech said:

They work perfectly fine then buddy its obvious that those risers are not good enough. I am not into mining to advise u something that will work for sure. So i think you should wait for some expert to step in and advise  

Alright, thanks for your help :)

On 9/3/2017 at 1:37 AM, W-L said:

You need proper shielded PCI-E extender such as these, due to interference or signal loss it can cause issues with instability. 

https://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gaming-pc-liquid-modding-custom-computer-mnpctech-overclock-cooling-fan-grills/ezdiy-pci-express-16x-black-flexible-riser-graphics-card-extension-cable.html

-Moved to Modding Section-

Mnpctech Riser cables are TESTED by our maker, before they're stocked. Thank you for referral W-L.

17 years of helping you void your warranty