Ryzen 7 or Intel i7 CPU?

I am planning on building a PC, and this will be my first time building one. Also, I am still a bit new to understanding the different hardware in a PC.

I'm having trouble on deciding what cpu to get since I have been looking at a lot of different videos and discussion posts on what to get. Most of the time I am playing games or just doing other things online (surfing the web, watching youtube videos, netflix, etc). But occasionally I want to stream games on twitch, and I was thinking of editing videos for youtube. Also, sometimes I will be watching a live stream or youtube video while playing games. Some examples of games I play on my own or would stream are Subnautica, Witcher 3,  Metro LLR,Overwatch, and Quake Champs. 

I am using a 144hz 1080p monitor (I also have another monitor, 1080p 60hz but it isn't used for gaming) I will be getting a GTX 1070 for my GPU. My budget is around $1500-$2000 CAD for my whole pc build (no monitor). I'm not sure what cpu will be best for me, but I've heard the  Ryzen 7 1700 is pretty good since it is pretty good for both gaming and streaming (since more cores and threads), but I've heard the intel i7-6700k and i7-7700k are way better for gaming, but not as good for streaming (but less cores and threads) but what I have seen there is not a big difference between the fps you get from games between the i7 and Ryzen. What CPU do you guys think would be the best for my needs? Also do the threads and cores really have a big influence on the resolution and fps in games, while just playing games and for streaming and gaming or multitasking?

the difference is 1-3% in high refreshrate 1080p gaming, which is what you're doing

wait for coffeelake I guess..? 6 cores for the same price, wont be compatible with existing 2xx or 1xx motherboards 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Agreed, went from an i7 to an r7 1700 and havent looked back

6 minutes ago, huskyy_ said:

I am planning on building a PC, and this will be my first time building one. Also, I am still a bit new to understanding the different hardware in a PC.

I'm having trouble on deciding what cpu to get since I have been looking at a lot of different videos and discussion posts on what to get. Most of the time I am playing games or just doing other things online (surfing the web, watching youtube videos, netflix, etc). But occasionally I want to stream games on twitch, and I was thinking of editing videos for youtube. Also, sometimes I will be watching a live stream or youtube video while playing games. Some examples of games I play on my own or would stream are Subnautica, Witcher 3,  Metro LLR,Overwatch, and Quake Champs. 

I am using a 144hz 1080p monitor (I also have another monitor, 1080p 60hz but it isn't used for gaming) I will be getting a GTX 1070 for my GPU. My budget is around $1500-$2000 CAD for my whole pc build (no monitor). I'm not sure what cpu will be best for me, but I've heard the  Ryzen 7 1700 is pretty good since it is pretty good for both gaming and streaming (since more cores and threads), but I've heard the intel i7-6700k and i7-7700k are way better for gaming, but not as good for streaming (but less cores and threads) but what I have seen there is not a big difference between the fps you get from games between the i7 and Ryzen. What CPU do you guys think would be the best for my needs? Also do the threads and cores really have a big influence on the resolution and fps in games, while just playing games and for streaming and gaming or multitasking?

I ran into a conflict with this building one for my neighbor. I thought since he would be using the computer to monitor his 16 cameras, the program would use a ton of CPU so I went with the ryzen 7 1700. Little did I know most of the programs to run cameras are optimized for intel so no matter how cheap the specs on the intel chip, it will outperform the AMD chip. The CPU was sitting at 100% the whole time the program was running and my other neighbor that had a prebuilt i7-6700 setup was running at 60-80%. My conclusion, find out what specific programs you will be runni and I am sure there are forums about those programs to discuss what CPU is best for them. And for gaming, I have an i7-7700k gtx 1080ti and with streaming I run into no conflicts. Plus the intel chips comes with free streaming software OBS

Ryzen 7 hands down.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Not alot of differnce in gaming, get the 1700 since you edit. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

17 minutes ago, huskyy_ said:

For streaming to twitch, I'd recommend a 1700

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 minutes ago, Mackelt said:

Plus the intel chips comes with free streaming software OBS

No. They come with QuickSync which is an encoder that can be used by OBS but that doesn't mean that OBS comes with Intel CPUs.

Also, AMD Ryzen CPUs like the 1700 or 1800X are better at x264 due to the higher core counts and thus it doesn't really give anybody an advantage.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 minutes ago, themctipers said:

the difference is 1-3% in high refreshrate 1080p gaming, which is what you're doing

wait for coffeelake I guess..? 6 cores for the same price, wont be compatible with existing 2xx or 1xx motherboards 

If I overclock the ryzen 7 1700 would that affect the difference? (well oc it to around 3.5 ghz)

1 minute ago, huskyy_ said:

If I overclock the ryzen 7 1700 would that affect the difference? (well oc it to around 3.5 ghz)

Yes, the 1700s overclock fairly well. You can easily push it to 3.6 without even overloading the stock cooler.

6 minutes ago, Jtrain said:

Yes, the 1700s overclock fairly well. You can easily push it to 3.6 without even overloading the stock cooler.

also is there any issues with the ryzen 7 1700? I have heard there were memory problems, and some other problems.

1 minute ago, huskyy_ said:

also is there any issues with the ryzen 7 1700? I have heard there were memory problems, and some other problems.

As far as i know not on my end. I've had mine since late April, installed clean windows on it, use it about 4-12 hours per day and use it regularly as i used to use my i7-870. Paired it with an Asrock X370 Killer Motherboard and 32GB of Corsair LPX DDR4 2400

5 minutes ago, Jtrain said:

As far as i know not on my end. I've had mine since late April, installed clean windows on it, use it about 4-12 hours per day and use it regularly as i used to use my i7-870. Paired it with an Asrock X370 Killer Motherboard and 32GB of Corsair LPX DDR4 2400

ok thanks for the help, also could I msg you if I ever need anymore help if you don't mind?

Just now, huskyy_ said:

ok thanks for the help, also could I msg you if I ever need anymore help if you don't mind?

Sure thing

39 minutes ago, Mackelt said:

I ran into a conflict with this building one for my neighbor. I thought since he would be using the computer to monitor his 16 cameras, the program would use a ton of CPU so I went with the ryzen 7 1700. Little did I know most of the programs to run cameras are optimized for intel so no matter how cheap the specs on the intel chip, it will outperform the AMD chip. The CPU was sitting at 100% the whole time the program was running and my other neighbor that had a prebuilt i7-6700 setup was running at 60-80%. My conclusion, find out what specific programs you will be runni and I am sure there are forums about those programs to discuss what CPU is best for them. And for gaming, I have an i7-7700k gtx 1080ti and with streaming I run into no conflicts. Plus the intel chips comes with free streaming software OBS

OBS is free for everybody..... and you won't run into problems streaming unless you're using better looking h.264 encoding. NVENC encoding uses hardware acceleration to make things faster essentially using an approximation, it can be done on either CPU or GPU and it's much more efficient at the expense of some quality

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz