Should I sell my R9 380 and buy a GTX 1070?

AnonGamer

I just got an offer to buy my Gigabyte R9 380 G1 Gaming Edition for $130, which I think is a good price for it as they seem to be at around $150 on Ebay.  Someone also offered to sell me an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW for $350.  In other words, I'd be spending $220 to upgrade to a GTX 1070.  My system would not bottleneck the GPU so there's no issue there.  I'm currently running a 1080p 144hz freesync monitor, and I'm wondering if I should go through with it.  I can back out of both deals and keep what I've got, but for the games I'm playing (Bethesda games with tons of mods) I really could use the extra GPU power right now and I think the price is right on that GTX card considering the GPU market right now.  

Should I upgrade?  

TL;DR - I can upgrade R9 380 -> GTX 1070 for $220.  I have a 1080p 144hz Freesync monitor.  Do it?

Also, with Vega pricing all out of wack, I'm not sure I wanna wait for Vega 56 to take advantage of freesync.  Should I expect a lot of tearing and whatnot with my monitor and the 1070?

If you can get the GTX 1070.

It is a bummer if you lose Free-Sync but at least you can take a full advantage of that 144Hz then since I doubt that you can push most games at this frame rate on decent settings with the R9 380.

I have a 21:9 75Hz Freesync monitor on a 1050Ti and I just don't see it. G-Sync is just too expensive to have on every monitor and you ccan't have both. If it was that bad then nVidia would have no buisness.

I dislike simultaneous releases

11 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

Also, with Vega pricing all out of wack, I'm not sure I wanna wait for Vega 56 to take advantage of freesync.  Should I expect a lot of tearing and whatnot with my monitor and the 1070?

I would jump on the 1070. Vega pricing is out of whack, and wont cool down for a while most likely. Freesync wont mess up too much performance; if any performance detriments happen, just turn off Freesync. If you get a chance to go with a high end AMD card down the road, then use Freesync

19 minutes ago, Cajmo said:

I have a 21:9 75Hz Freesync monitor on a 1050Ti and I just don't see it. G-Sync is just too expensive to have on every monitor and you ccan't have both. If it was that bad then nVidia would have no buisness.

I'm confused. you have an i7-7700k but your graphics card is a 1050ti? Your case is almost as expensive as the graphics card itself

Just now, NightCaster767 said:

I'm confused. you have an i7-7700k but your graphics card is a 1050ti? Your case is almost as expensive as the graphics card itself

The GPU is a placeholder, and because the GPU has a factory OC, it cost £50 more than the case

I dislike simultaneous releases

So, seems the consensus is to go for it.  I'm gonna jump on 1070 and sell my 380.