Adaptive sync/high refresh monitors that aren't G-Sync/FreeSync?

kingmustard

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and I'm looking for an adaptive sync/high refresh monitor.

However, I don't want to pay an extra £100 to pay NVIDIA's proprietary tech. (G-Sync) tax., or an extra £50 to pay AMD's proprietary tech. (FreeSync) tax.

They would also tie me into NVIDIA/AMD GPUs in the immediate future, which I don't like the idea of.

Then again, isn't FreeSync more generic than G-Sync? Should I sway toward FreeSync, or are they rubbish with NVIDIA GPUs?

Or is there an alternative? Perhaps a general high-refresh monitor that doesn't feature adaptive sync technology? Or are they rubbish?

Mid end monitors come with Freesync for free because they will look inferior to others since AMD didnt charge anyone for this technology.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 hours ago, kingmustard said:

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and I'm looking for an adaptive sync/high refresh monitor.

However, I don't want to pay an extra £100 to pay NVIDIA's proprietary tech. (G-Sync) tax., or an extra £50 to pay AMD's proprietary tech. (FreeSync) tax.

They would also tie me into NVIDIA/AMD GPUs in the immediate future, which I don't like the idea of.

Then again, isn't FreeSync more generic than G-Sync? Should I sway toward FreeSync, or are they rubbish with NVIDIA GPUs?

Or is there an alternative? Perhaps a general high-refresh monitor that doesn't feature adaptive sync technology? Or are they rubbish?

On 8/7/2017 at 10:08 PM, Glenwing said:

FreeSync does not cost anything to add to the monitor, so monitors with FreeSync are no more expensive than they would be if they didn't have FreeSync. That's why it's called FreeSync. That's also why you can't find any newer gaming monitors without G-Sync or FreeSync. There's no reason for them to make a G-Sync version, a FreeSync version, and a nothing version, because the FreeSync and nothing version would cost the same and the FreeSync one can serve as a normal monitor on any non-AMD graphics card anyway, so a nothing version would be a redundant and ultimately worse-value product.

There isn't any proprietary tech in FreeSync. You can't get an adaptive-sync monitor without FreeSync, because they are the same thing, FreeSync works on any monitor that supports the VESA adaptive-sync standard, there's no special AMD tech added.

Having a FreeSync monitor doesn't tie you into AMD GPUs in the future. They still work with NVIDIA graphics cards, you just can't use the FreeSync feature. If you get a FreeSync monitor and use an NVIDIA graphics card in the future you won't be any worse off than if you had gotten a normal monitor.

"But I'll be paying for features I'm not using" Not usually. Depends on how much retailers charge, but in most places FreeSync monitors are the same price, because they don't involve any proprietary technology or extra hardware, so the manufacturing cost is the same. That's why it's called "FreeSync" in the first place. It costs the same as a normal monitor, so if you want a normal monitor you can just buy a FreeSync and disable the FreeSync feature.

There is a reason you are having trouble finding "normal" monitors without any sync, because they have the same manufacturing cost as a FreeSync monitor. Since a FreeSync monitor can do everything a "normal" monitor can do plus it has an additional feature, a "normal" monitor is a redundant product and there is no reason for manufacturers to make a monitor that is simply worse but costs the same, when the money could have been spent manufacturing a monitor with FreeSync that would have sold for a higher price.