Make a Windows Kiosk

Dudefoxlive

Hi, i want to make a Windows XP based Kiosk type system.  Basically i want it to connect to my grandmas wireless then launch a program called openvpn connect that will allow me to connect to my VPN and then launch a RDP connection to a computer at my house.  Basically she has a really old computer that i want to somehow make usable even if it connects to a computer at my house.  Does anyone know and good *free* Kiosk software or know how to make a good Kiosk bat file that prevents tampering?

9 minutes ago, Dudefoxlive said:

Hi, i want to make a Windows XP based Kiosk type system.  Basically i want it to connect to my grandmas wireless then launch a program called openvpn connect that will allow me to connect to my VPN and then launch a RDP connection to a computer at my house.  Basically she has a really old computer that i want to somehow make usable even if it connects to a computer at my house.  Does anyone know and good *free* Kiosk software or know how to make a good Kiosk bat file that prevents tampering?

Personally, I would suggest against doing this. If you are looking for kiosk-like simplicity, install a copy of Neverware's Chromium OS Linux distribution.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

18 minutes ago, Homeless_Pineapple said:

Personally, I would suggest against doing this. If you are looking for kiosk-like simplicity, install a copy of Neverware's Chromium OS Linux distribution.

Chrome does not support RDP nor an OpenVPN connection.

Just now, Dudefoxlive said:

Chrome does not support RDP nor an OpenVPN connection.

This is not what I mean. If your grandmother primarily uses her computer for basic web-browsing, I would suggest against using a VPN to connect to an RDP computer. Instead, I believe the usage of the Neverware Chromium OS Linux distribution will suit her extremely well. There is nothing you can break, and it can run well on just about any computer.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Just now, Homeless_Pineapple said:

This is not what I mean. If your grandmother primarily uses her computer for basic web-browsing, I would suggest against using a VPN to connect to an RDP computer. Instead, I believe the usage of the Neverware Chromium OS Linux distribution will suit her extremely well. There is nothing you can break, and it can run well on just about any computer.

This is not her primary computer.  She has two old computers. One is in a bedroom and is never used so i want to make it login to my VPN and then connect to a computer at my house so if i ever want to do something quick all i have to wait for the machine to boot Windows and auto login and then i login to VPN and connect to the remote PC.

3 minutes ago, Dudefoxlive said:

This is not her primary computer.  She has two old computers. One is in a bedroom and is never used so i want to make it login to my VPN and then connect to a computer at my house so if i ever want to do something quick all i have to wait for the machine to boot Windows and auto login and then i login to VPN and connect to the remote PC.

In this case, I would suggest switching over to a copy of Xubuntu instead of sticking with Windows XP. Using Xubuntu, you can easily restrict access to features, and create startup scripts that will automatically connect to an OpenVPN server and launch into an RDP session.

Desktop

Homelab

Just now, Homeless_Pineapple said:

In this case, I would suggest switching over to a copy of Xubuntu instead of sticking with Windows XP. Using Xubuntu, you can easily restrict access to features, and create startup scripts that will automatically connect to an OpenVPN server and launch into an RDP session.

i have tried running many different version of linux ranging from lightweight GUI to anything possible.  Linux does not run well at all due to how underpowered the machine is in this day and age.

25 minutes ago, Dudefoxlive said:

i have tried running many different version of linux ranging from lightweight GUI to anything possible.  Linux does not run well at all due to how underpowered the machine is in this day and age.

I've been able to run Xubuntu on fourteen-year-old XP machines that run on 1gb of DDR2 memory, 120gb of mechanical storage, and an Intel Pentium 2 without issue. Alternatively, you should take a look at ThinStation. I have not personally used it, but it is free and looks like it should suit your needs.

Desktop

Homelab