Gaming/premier pro laptop under £1500 help

Right so here is another "what laptop do I get"  I have a fairly beefy pc that I use for video editing (premier pro) and gaming. Which is fine when Im at home but when I'm in the studio or on a train it would be good to have a portable device to continue my work (currently have a microsoft surface that I RDP into my home pc) 

Anyway my budget is £1500 here is my short list of devices that I have flipped back and forth between. All have negatives but then equally all have positives. Any help would be... helpful. And let me know if there are any other suggestions. I would prefer to be understated and less shouty can't always get what you want. Oh and apple is not an option. 

HP OMEN 15-ce056na 15.6" Gaming Laptop
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ processor
RAM: 8 GB
Storage: 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Screen: 15.6 1920x1080
Battery: 12 hours
Price: 1499

DELL XPS 15 15.6" Laptop
Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ processor
RAM: 8 GB
Storage: 1 TB HDD & 32 GB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Battery: 17 hours
Price: 1399

DELL Inspiron 15 7000 15.6" Gaming Laptop
RAM: 16 GB
Storage: 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Battery: 8 hours
Price: 1099

MSI GS73 7RE Stealth Pro Gaming Laptop
RAM: 16 GB
Storage: 2 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Screen: 17.3 1920x1080
Battery: 4 hours
Price: 1099

I've heard good things about Lenovo ThinkPads, even if they're not technically gaming laptops, they can still game pretty well.

The ThinkPad P50 goes for ~931 pounds(British)

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P50/p/20ENCTO1WWENUS1?configuratorMode=compact#tab-customize

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Avoid the msi. Constant overheating issues and piss poor quality control. Horrible build quality. I am on my third one now.  If you do buy an msi laptop do not buy it at best buy. The best buy models get a cheaper display that is almost intolerable.

Lenovo has their new legion line up.

Gigabytes aurus line up is pretty good.

The only thing I have against the Dell's you're looking at is the charging port. The charging port on the Dell's have a third pin with an identifying chip that prevents you from using non authentic chargers or batteries. This vecomes a problem after 2-3 years when the port wears out. All of the dells I have had to repair have the port soldered to the motherboard too, so its not a 15 minute repair.

However the Dell's will give you the best bang for buck and highest build quality in your budget.

The hp omens are junk. The entire line. Just go to a store and feel one. I couldnt tell you how they perform. The build quality was so piss poor I picked looked at 2 of the models and knew that they werent for me. Tons of screen flex and cheap plastic everywhere.

44 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've heard good things about Lenovo ThinkPads, even if they're not technically gaming laptops, they can still game pretty well.

The ThinkPad P50 goes for ~931 pounds(British)

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P50/p/20ENCTO1WWENUS1?configuratorMode=compact#tab-customize

The Lenovo has a m chip, I was looking for a GTX 1050/60 but thanks 

Just now, Timhannah1988 said:

The Lenovo has a m chip, I was looking for a GTX 1050/60 but thanks 

By "m chip", I take it you're referring to the mobile graphics solution. It's worth mentioning that it is a pretty capable chip even for gaming.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Avoid the msi. Constant overheating issues and piss poor quality control. Horrible build quality. I am on my third one now.  If you do buy an msi laptop do not buy it at best buy. The best buy models get a cheaper display that is almost intolerable.

The only thing I have against the Dell's you're looking at is the charging port. The charging port on the Dell's have a third pin with an identifying chip that prevents you from using non authentic chargers or batteries. This vecomes a problem after 2-3 years when the port wears out. All of the dells I have had to repair have the port soldered to the motherboard too, so its not a 15 minute repair.

However the Dell's will give you the best bang for buck and highest build quality in your budget.

The hp omens are junk. The entire line. Just go to a store and feel one. I couldnt tell you how they perform. The build quality was so piss poor I picked looked at 2 of the models and knew that they werent for me. Tons of screen flex and cheap plastic everywhere.

Some good info in here. Will definitely look up the Lenovo range. Out of my selection which would you go for. Obvusoiyl not the hp.

HP Omen-Complete dog shit.  Avoid at all costs.

XPS 15-Good choice.

Dell Inspiron Gaming 7000-Probably the jack of all trades out of this lineup.  It is well built while still remaining budget-conscious; also, you're not going to really be doing most of your work on it, so a 1050Ti will suit you well.  It gets 8 hours on battery (for doing web browsing and such) which is longer than any train ride I've ever been on.

MSI GS73-I wouldn't use it.  MSI isn't known for its QC.

6 minutes ago, lilbman said:

HP Omen-Complete dog shit.  Avoid at all costs.

XPS 15-Good choice.

Dell Inspiron Gaming 7000-Probably the jack of all trades out of this lineup.  It is well built while still remaining budget-conscious; also, you're not going to really be doing most of your work on it, so a 1050Ti will suit you well.  It gets 8 hours on battery (for doing web browsing and such) which is longer than any train ride I've ever been on.

MSI GS73-I wouldn't use it.  MSI isn't known for its QC.

So between the two dells which would be the preferred, xps has lower spec i5. (I know still quad core but only quad thread where as i7 is quad core, oct thread)

Inspiron has crappy tn screen but better overall specs which I'm drawn to. 

If I'm spending the money I want to make the right choice. Any other players you would add to the mix 

1 minute ago, Timhannah1988 said:

So between the two dells which would be the preferred, xps has lower spec i5. (I know still quad core but only quad thread where as i7 is quad core, oct thread)

Inspiron has crappy tn screen but better overall specs which I'm drawn to. 

If I'm spending the money I want to make the right choice. Any other players you would add to the mix 

I think a Gigabyte Aero 15 would be perfect for your use case but its a bit out of budget. 

Also, would the Inspirons screen hinder your ability to edit video?  I'm not an expert, but I know a color accurate panel is a necessity with photo editing, which may or may not be similar to video editing.

If a good screen is important, then XPS 15 all the way; if performance is more important, then the Dell Inspiron.

12 minutes ago, lilbman said:

I think a Gigabyte Aero 15 would be perfect for your use case but its a bit out of budget. 

Also, would the Inspirons screen hinder your ability to edit video?  I'm not an expert, but I know a color accurate panel is a necessity with photo editing, which may or may not be similar to video editing.

If a good screen is important, then XPS 15 all the way; if performance is more important, then the Dell Inspiron.

Yeah screen is important for colour grading but I don't tend to do a great deal of that and could do it on the pc. 

I like the xps for its small form factor and general subtlety, but would feel like I'm missing out with performance. Hmm thanks for your assistance though. Been helpful with a different perspective, eliminating my bias from the mix 

Personally I'd go for the gigabyte or the lenovo. I like the Lenovos larger form factor and ease of upgrades in the future.

I am unfortunately stuck with the 15" version of the msi you're looking at. Piece of junk.

If it comes down to the Dell's I would rather have the i7-7700hq. Decent enough processor for mobile work/gaming.

As for the difference between the 1050ti 1060 and even 1070 on a mobile I doubt you will notice much of a performance difference. They power limit quick. My 1060 6gb performs about on par with a 1050 2gb desktop card.

You might look into clevo/sager too. Probably the best bang for buck you can get. However quality is mediocre.

Also you may look into ordering a laptop from a third party authorized rebuilder. They can reapply quality thermal paste and do any modifications you want and still honor factory warrantee.

8 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Only MSI GTs (maybe GS) are good

Lenovo Legion not bad

Gigabyte Aero 15 is good, some Aorus have overheating issues

HP Omen 2017 version (new design) are actually quite good but overpriced

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, markr54632 said:

You might look into clevo/sager too. Probably the best bang for buck you can get. However quality is mediocre.

I second this. Quality is good though.

@Timhannah1988 from the choices above I would choose Dell XPS 15 or Inspiron 7567

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128