DirectX 12 & Windows 7 64 O.S.

Craig56

OK, is there a defiant answer to. Will Windows 7 and DirectX12 work together ? I have seen all types of rants and statements about this as of 8-12-2017 whats the final answer HELP...

1 minute ago, Craig56 said:

OK, is there a defiant answer to. Will Windows 7 and DirectX12 work together ? I have seen all types of rants and statements about this as of 8-12-2017 whats the final answer HELP...

No. DirectX 12 will work only in Win10

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

windows 7 is discontinued from sale and will not get any new features such as the directx12 library. Same thing happened to XP when Vista came out.

Someone will try an unofficial port but it wont be perfect or better than just moving onto windows 10.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

14 hours ago, Craig56 said:

Windows 7 doesn't have support for the DirectX 12 API, but it does have support for the Vulkan API.

DirectX 12 and Vulkan are equivalents in what they aim to achieve (low-level communication between graphics hardware and drivers to improve rendering efficiency and therefore performance), but DirectX 12 is proprietary of Microsoft and is only available in Windows 10, while Vulkan is open-source, managed by The Khronos Group, and is available for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8(.1), 10, Linux, and Android.

Here are some developers and game engines that have support for Vulkan: Epic Games (Unreal 4), Unity (Unity 5), Valve (Source 2), DICE (FrostBite), CroTeam (Serious Engine 4), id Software (id Tech 6), Crytek (Cry Engine V), Cloud Imperium Games (Star Citizen).

It is likely that one or the other API will become dominant over time, though it's far too early to know which will win out, and there are currently very few titles featuring either technology. Some developers, like Valve, are likely to support only Vulkan, though many game engines have support for both Vulkan and DirectX 12. Vulkan has the advantages of being highly cross-platform and open-source, while DirectX 12 might be attractive to a developer that is making a game for newer Xbox systems, as they now support DirectX 12.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

23 hours ago, Craig56 said:

Direct X 12 is only on Windows 10.

Windows 7 is only able to use up to Direct X 11.1

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),