49" LG 49UH5B 4K @ 60 Hz

tridy

Hi.

I cannot find in the description which version of HDMI LG 49UH5B (from 2015) has, but the manual says:

• High Speed HDMI cables transmit a HD signal up to 1080p and higher.
 • HDMI (4K @ 60 Hz) input ports: When using HDMI (4K @ 60 Hz) input port, use the provided HDMI cable.
 • When using an HDMI cable that was not provided, please use a high-speed HDMI cable(shorter than 3 meters).

Specs also state HDMI: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz (screenshot attached)

does that mean that it has HDMI 2.0?

Thanks.

49UH5B.png

20 minutes ago, tridy said:

Hi.

I cannot find in the description which version of HDMI LG 49UH5B (from 2015) has, but the manual says:

Specs also state HDMI: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz (screenshot attached)

does that mean that it has HDMI 2.0?

Thanks.

49UH5B.png

Might be, depends on if it supports full 4:4:4 color at 4K 60 Hz, it may only support 4:2:0 in which case it's HDMI 1.4. Or an HDMI 2.0 port that doesn't support full bandwidth, which is kinda the same thing.

Fun fact, labeling the HDMI version is a violation of the HDMI licensing agreement.

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Fun fact, labeling the HDMI version is against the HDMI licensing agreement.

Do you have an idea why it is against the agreement?

source: http://www.hdmi.org/logosphotos/logos.aspx

Changes for Cables Effective Immediately
Adopters may no longer use HDMI version numbers in the labeling, packaging, or promotion of any cable product. This is effective immediately for any references to the HDMI Specification Version 1.4, and Adopters have a one-year grace period for removing references to earlier versions of the HDMI specification when describing their cables.

I have seen labeling HDMI ports 4K@60Hz and 4K@30Hz from which one might get a clue but it is far from versioning, of course.

Yeah, and good luck finding out the chroma subsampling in specs, right?

6 minutes ago, tridy said:

Do you have an idea why it is against the agreement?

I have seen labeling HDMI ports 4K@60Hz and 4K@30Hz from which one might get a clue but it is far from versioning, of course.

Yeah, and good luck finding out the chroma subsampling in specs, right?

That policy was set at the height of the "HDMI cable version" scams, though why it applies to non-cable products I'm not certain.

http://www.hdmi.org/pdf/atlug_faqs/2011_12_20_ATLUG_Q09_UPDATE.PDF

The "4K HDMI port" is their sort of workaround for labeling the version without really labeling it, although it's sort of abused by claiming "4K 60 Hz" to imply HDMI 2.0 but really only supporting HDMI 1.4 bandwidth and achieving 60 Hz with chroma subsampling. And of course you can't really complain because they never actually said it was HDMI 2.0.