Trident Z RGB - Ryzen Compatibility

I was looking to build a rig that used a Ryzen 7 1700, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, and G. Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (8x2) 3200. I bought the RAM sticks the other week because they were on sale on Newegg but just found out that I got the CAS 16 variants and not the CAS 14 ones. Just to verify compatibility, I emailed ASUS and their response can be seen below. My question for you guys is has anybody used (and successfully reached stability at 3200mHz or more) the Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) on their Ryzen based rig?

598e2767c10ba_ASUSTechSupport.png.3241eb917da3c871735dc1b0e2b91f53.png

The chances of it not working are much, much, much lower than the probability of it working :)

Should be fine. If it doesn't work when you get the mobo then ask Newegg for a replacement/return

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

If you are unable to achieve 3200MHz on that board it will likely be due to bad luck with the CPU's IMC more than anything else. While Asus haven't tested and validated that specific kit, they have tested other G.Skill 3200C16 kits which would use the same dies.

6 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

-snip-

4 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

-snip-

Valid points. I guess I can wait and test it out myself. By the way, I also emailed G. Skill if they had any luck with the Crosshair but no reply just yet.

27 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I was looking to build a rig that used a Ryzen 7 1700, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, and G. Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (8x2) 3200. I bought the RAM sticks the other week because they were on sale on Newegg but just found out that I got the CAS 16 variants and not the CAS 14 ones. Just to verify compatibility, I emailed ASUS and their response can be seen below. My question for you guys is has anybody used (and successfully reached stability at 3200mHz or more) the Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) on their Ryzen based rig?

It looks like you received the standard 'cover their ass' response.  With the updated bios support for AGESA 1.0.0.6, you'll probably have no problems running the kit at 3200, regardless of it being on the QVL or not.  Just because they haven't personally tested that particular kit doesn't mean it won't work.  I run my G.Skill Ripjaws 3000MHz kit at 3200 1.4v on my ASRock board, and it's not on QVL.  My Setup

According to this reddit post, Clearing up any Samsung B-Die confusion, your particular kit may contain either Samsung or Hynix chips.  While Samsung B-Die chips are supposedly best, AGESA 1.0.0.6 I believe added more support for Hynix.  My kit is Hynix M-Die and runs just fine.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to see if there were alternatives with Samsung B-Die chips, but I would also not be afraid to purchase your selection.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

8 minutes ago, johndms said:

According to this reddit post, Clearing up any Samsung B-Die confusion, your particular kit may contain either Samsung or Hynix chips.  While Samsung B-Die chips are supposedly best, AGESA 1.0.0.6 I believe added more support for Hynix.  My kit is Hynix M-Die and runs just fine.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to see if there were alternatives with Samsung B-Die chips, but I would also not be afraid to purchase your selection.

Thanks for this. Can you elaborate on "see if there were alternatives with Samsung B-Die chips?"

3 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Can you elaborate on "see if there were alternatives with Samsung B-Die chips?"

I've never bothered to look at the selection of RGB ram kits available.  I'm not sure what choices you may have, but if I had the choice of two different brands, once with Samsung B-die and another brand with different chips, I'd choose the former.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Just now, johndms said:

I've never bothered to look at the selection of RGB ram kits available.  I'm not sure what choices you may have, but if I had the choice of two different brands, once with Samsung B-die and another brand with different chips, I'd choose the former.

Ohhh okay. There are variants that have CAS 14 instead of CAS 16 (these ones), but they are US$40 more. Many users have said that the CAS 14 variants work just fine.

6 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Ohhh okay. There are variants that have CAS 14 instead of CAS 16 (these ones), but they are US$40 more. Many users have said that the CAS 14 variants work just fine.

There's a good chance the C14 kit is Samsung B-Die.  It would explain the higher price.  If you remove the 'R' from your kits model number and change the 16 to 14, F4-3200C14D-16GTZ = Samsung B-Die on the link I posted earlier.  I'm assuming the 'R' just indicates the kit is RGB.

6 minutes ago, johndms said:

There's a good chance the C14 kit is Samsung B-Die.  It would explain the higher price.  If you remove the 'R' from your kits model number and change the 16 to 14, F4-3200C14D-16GTZ = Samsung B-Die on the link I posted earlier.  I'm assuming the 'R' just indicates the kit is RGB.

Yup that's seems right. I'm just going to stick with the RAM that I have for now and test them. If I can't get them to work at 3200MHz, I'll return them and get the CAS14 variants.

• 2 months later...

Hey there it’s been awhile since there was a post here, but can you tell me how that ram worked out for you? I am in a similar spot as you. I ordered the 1700x , Asus crosshair and teamgroup dark pro 3200 ram but I get error code 8 at times eluding to ram. I have time to return it to Newegg and order F4-3200C14D-16GTZR to replace it. Thanks for your help and sharing your experience 

4 hours ago, OldManHulk said:

error code 8

Just to confirm something, is it just an 8 or is it 08? I had similar problems with this and I had to RMA my board. You can check out my troubleshooting here:

• 2 weeks later...

oh i Cannot recall if it was 8 or 08, but after playing in the bios I am happy to report that I am having a great time with this ram! 

image.png.fdd4bbcf0486f52131dcc3f54492e88e.png

I am running this now (after reading and reading) and am happy to say it is going great. the speed and the timings are so impressive. I have emailed, called and live chatted newegg, gskill and asus and no one suggests the trident z rgb.. but I can confirm newegg suggested this kit over any other from their customer feedback and gskill would not confirm anything about their ram being compatible and asus is behind updating their qvl.

I only run my 1700x at 1..35v with an offset to 1.75v @ 3.9 ( I did push it too 3.95 and it was stable but I backed it down just a hair to be safe). I hit a 1761 cinebench score and was loving it! At 3.9 ghz I constantly score in the 1740s which is amazing for this chip. The ram was the secret. I have also read that if I were to loosen the ram timings that I should be able to hit higher ram speeds without a problem but I am awaiting the agesa update this month before changing any settings as these results are top of the line IMO.

Best of luck !

image.png

image.png

4 hours ago, OldManHulk said:

-snip-

Wow, congratulations on getting everything up and running. I just got mine working as well because of some issues with motherboard settings. I'm also waiting for some feedback from EKWB since I am watercooling my CPU, so I haven't been able to try overclocking just yet. Definitely wait for the AGESA update, once you get that magical 3200MHz on your RAM, it's going to be crushing your current Cinebench score.

glad to hear everything is up and running for you, and i hope the watercooling situation works out. but take a look at my image above, i am currently running my ram at 3466 with CL14 timing :) this ram ended up being amazing.

i actually just ordered an 8700k that comes in two days (: so i think my wife may inherit the ryzen setup. and i will run with intel. but when ryzen 2 comes out i'll upgrade her chip and we may switch systems lol.

25 minutes ago, OldManHulk said:

glad to hear everything is up and running for you, and i hope the watercooling situation works out. but take a look at my image above, i am currently running my ram at 3466 with CL14 timing :) this ram ended up being amazing.

i actually just ordered an 8700k that comes in two days (: so i think my wife may inherit the ryzen setup. and i will run with intel. but when ryzen 2 comes out i'll upgrade her chip and we may switch systems lol.

I guess I completely interpreted that 1730MHz wrong. I forgot that there are two sticks. But 3466 is very impressive.

The 8700K is a great CPU as well and can easily hit 5.0 GHz, assuming you have adequate cooling. Plus, your wife will be getting a great computer xD

thanks. a lot of people forget that ddr is dual channel and dont often multiply the mhz by 2.