FRTC enable or not?

Mike87

Hi all,

I've been wondering... is it useful to turn on when you have a 60hz monitor? For example when I play Batman Arkham Knight, I get with high settings about 80-100fps, but therefore I have 100% GPU usage and my GPU fans going up because of the thermal increase. Now I am not sure since I have a 60Hz monitor, if everything above 60fps are just wasted resources of my GPU? Wouldn't it be better to limit the fps to 60 and go higher with the settings?

In my AMD Software I can set the FRTC to 60fps for all games. Also I have a Freesync Monitor, I don't know if this makes a difference in this question.

Can someone explain this to me? :)

Thanks!

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

If you have Free-Sync and you have above 60FPS then Free-Sync is disabled.

Don't use AMD FRTC as it introduces big input lag comparable to V-Sync (same for NVIDIA Inspector).

Use Riva Tuner Statistics Server to limit your FPS to 58 if you want Free-Sync to be enabled.

Just now, WereCat said:

If you have Free-Sync and you have above 60FPS then Free-Sync is disabled.

Don't use AMD FRTC as it introduces big input lag compared to V-Sync (same for NVIDIA Inspector).

Use Riva Tuner Statistics Server to limit your FPS to 58 if you want Free-Sync to be enabled.

Thanks for the answer.

I am actually not that concerned about the input lag but what bothers me most is the blurry frames when I turn around fast in the game. I therefore bought a freesync monitor in the hopes of getting less blurrs in the game. But actually what got better is the frame tearing. Also what I am wondering, if my games run over 60fps, if it is just lost power of my GPU or does it (somehow) still give me a better gaming experience. 

What I am trying to reach is maximum frame quality with the fps needed. And hopefully my GPU usage is not only on 100% like it is now :/

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

1 minute ago, Mike87 said:

Thanks for the answer.

I am actually not that concerned about the input lag but what bothers me most is the blurry frames when I turn around fast in the game. I therefore bought a freesync monitor in the hopes of getting less blurrs in the game. But actually what got better is the frame tearing. Also what I am wondering, if my games run over 60fps, if it is just lost power of my GPU or does it (somehow) still give me a better gaming experience. 

What I am trying to reach is maximum frame quality with the fps needed. And hopefully my GPU usage is not only on 100% like it is now :/

Free-Sync is to remove tearing, not blurs.

To reduce blurs you need to go to the monitor OSD settings and locate Overdrive option if it is there. Then increase its value. It is not guaranteed to work on higher values and can cause weird artifacts, if that's the case then set it back to default.

If you get more FPS than Hz it is not really a wasted performance as it can still contribute to improve input lag. But you said that you don't care so it's up to you.

It definitely helps in competitive games though.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Free-Sync is to remove tearing, not blurs.

To reduce blurs you need to go to the monitor OSD settings and locate Overdrive option if it is there. Then increase its value. It is not guaranteed to work on higher values and can cause weird artifacts, if that's the case then set it back to default.

If you get more FPS than Hz it is not really a wasted performance as it can still contribute to improve input lag. But you said that you don't care so it's up to you.

It definitely helps in competitive games though.

Okay I understand. I have the Samsung S27F350F, which I just checked online and should have 72Hz, not 60Hz. Not sure about the overdrive option. I know there is some kind of OC setting but I will check on that after work when I am home. 

So do you limit the fps in any kind or not, letting the GPU hit 100% usage? I don't have the best case and cooling so my GPU fans usually run at 50-70% while the GPU is at 82°C average. So if the more FPS is just for input lag than I don't need the overhead usage. 

Or maybe I am underestimating the input lag... I don't play CS where a few ms input lag is that important for me. But correct me if I am wrong O.o 

Do you also know how high the freesync works? Is it still limited to 60fps? Ive read this in a post.

thanks!

My Setup: 

22 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Okay I understand. I have the Samsung S27F350F, which I just checked online and should have 72Hz, not 60Hz. Not sure about the overdrive option. I know there is some kind of OC setting but I will check on that after work when I am home. 

So do you limit the fps in any kind or not, letting the GPU hit 100% usage? I don't have the best case and cooling so my GPU fans usually run at 50-70% while the GPU is at 82°C average. So if the more FPS is just for input lag than I don't need the overhead usage. 

Or maybe I am underestimating the input lag... I don't play CS where a few ms input lag is that important for me. But correct me if I am wrong O.o 

Do you also know how high the freesync works? Is it still limited to 60fps? Ive read this in a post.

thanks!

If you really don't care about input lag then just use the FRTC.

Free-Sync will work up to 72FPS on your monitor. The condition is to have no more FPS than is your Hz.

13 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you really don't care about input lag then just use the FRTC.

Free-Sync will work up to 72FPS on your monitor. The condition is to have no more FPS than is your Hz.

thank you for the info so far. Today I will try to cap the fps to 72 and see how things change.

My Setup: 

24 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

thank you for the info so far. Today I will try to cap the fps to 72 and see how things change.

I recommend 70FPS cap since there can be an margin of error in the software

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I recommend 70FPS cap since there can be an margin of error in the software

ok thank you for the heads up

My Setup: