Price vs Performance of a GPU when paired with GSYNC

CoolMarquis97

Hello again! 

So I plan on pairing up my GSYNC monitor with a 1070/1080. If I'm using a 1440p monitor, since both graphics cards don't crack 144fps on max settings at 1440p, does it really matter which card I get? From my understanding the monitor works to match itself with the graphics card but since neither of them crack 120fps then it doesn't really matter whether they are running at 70fps compared to 93 fps for example. Is that correct? I've been looking at both cards and am trying to understand what I would be getting if I paid the extra $100 for the 1080. Wouldn't the difference between the two matter more if I wasn't using a GSYNC monitor? 

Also, why are Gigabyte cards so cheap compared to the rest of the bunch? Do they have a lot of issues? 

Thanks for any and all help! 

Well, a high refresh rate monitor is kind of wasted if you end up running your games at 60-70fps anyway. Even if you don't reach its peak you'll still get some benefit from buying a higher end card.

Maybe you misunderstand how gsync works - if the card generates 93 fps, you'll see 93 fps. It will be smoother than 70. What gsync does is it slows down the monitor to match the card's framerate, so you don't get any tearing, but it doesn't affect the card's performance nor the smoothness of the scene.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well, a high refresh rate monitor is kind of wasted if you end up running your games at 60-70fps anyway. Even if you don't reach its peak you'll still get some benefit from buying a higher end card.

Maybe you misunderstand how gsync works - if the card generates 93 fps, you'll see 93 fps. It will be smoother than 70. What gsync does is it slows down the monitor to match the card's framerate, so you don't get any tearing, but it doesn't affect the card's performance nor the smoothness of the scene.

I always assumed that you only really tell the difference you make the jump from something like 60hz to 120hz. Your right though, my monitor would be a waste if I didn't pair it with a good graphics card. I'll probably end up getting a 1080. 

3 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

I always assumed that you only really tell the difference you make the jump from something like 60hz to 120hz. Your right though, my monitor would be a waste if I didn't pair it with a good graphics card. I'll probably end up getting a 1080. 

I would, maybe even Ti if possible (I did).  1440p/144hz is a lot to drive and while you won't always get 144hz, it really is nice to get as close as you can as every fps makes it a little smoother and less blurry.  Gsync does help things quite a bit in the lower fps range, it makes the dips much less noticeable but you'll still want as much power as you can afford to get that buttery smooth goodness!

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

It does improve the smoothness, in fact that is the main purpose of G-Sync. Tearing prevention is a secondary benefit.