1060 6gb - 60hz vs 120hz both w/gsync

Ralphlaurels69
Go to solution Solved by Zando_,
6 minutes ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

That's what I've heard too. People describe the 3gb 1060 as a sham or neutered 1060. Even read the 3gb has less Cuda cores. 

The Asus features more ram too. 

I'm just afraid the Asus will throttle due to its seemingly ineffecient cooling (if one are to trust forum posts. Loads of them regarding heat on Asus forums etc.) I would THINK the msi has more efficient cooling. But I'm not sure if Asus solved it with the bios update  (how that would solve a thin - > hot chassis though I don't know) 

Thanks again for being a hero zando 

I'd go with the ASUS anyways, since you have to have a pretty beefy laptop to avoid throttling. Even if it does throttle, it should perform better than one with a lesser GPU. And yeah, the 1060 3GB should be called the 1060, and the 1060 6GB should be a 1060 Ti. It's got more VRAM and more CUDA cores, just like the 1050 Ti vs 1050 and 1080 Ti vs 1080. IDK why they make it so confusing, but they do. 

Hi

All this hz, frame syncing and fps is confusing(I do understand the basics of gsync etc. however)

Is there any point to having a 120hz monitor (TN and it's disadvantages (?)) With 1060 g sync? It won't reach fps to sync at that hz in many games anyway?

I'm deciding between 2 laptops.

Laptop x= 60hz ips 17"Laptop y= 120hz TN 15"Both w/ 1060 + gsync

I prefer 17" but 120hz does seem very nice, and id be willing to sacrifice screensize if it's beneficial/not pointless.

I mainly play dota 2, which will be my primary game. I do however wish to play some higher end titles from the last years and incoming ones at 1080p at high-ish settings.

Any guidance out there to be given? (I realize a 1070 120hz would "solve" my worries, but is currently a bit too much of a prize stretch )

Any advice or suggestions will be highly appreciated! Happy Tuesday!

Depends, tight on cash? Go with X, otherwise, go with Y, both are great choices.

They are both priced the same.

The 15" has 120hz TN, while the 17" is 60hz ips. That's the only real difference. Same specs otherwise 

The jump up to 1070 would however be a bit too expensive.

What I'm worried about is that I won't really benefit from 120hz w/gsync with a 1060, at least in games other than dota 2. As it can't keep framerates towards 120 or at least above 60 in higher end titles, and thus not really benefiting from g sync(?). The added screen size would thus be preferred. The smoothness of a 120hz w/g sync for dota 2 (my main game) would however be really really nice. 

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way?

3 minutes ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

They are both priced the same.

The 15" has 120hz TN, while the 17" is 60hz ips. That's the only real difference. Same specs otherwise 

The jump up to 1070 would however be a bit too expensive.

What I'm worried about is that I won't really benefit from 120hz w/gsync with a 1060, at least in games other than dota 2. As it can't keep framerates towards 120 or at least above 60 in higher end titles, and thus not really benefiting from g sync(?). The added screen size would thus be preferred. The smoothness of a 120hz w/g sync for dota 2 (my main game) would however be really really nice. 

Make sure and quote or tag him, so he gets a notification that you replied. Like so:

19 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

Depends, tight on cash? Go with X, otherwise, go with Y, both are great choices.

And I’d personally go for the 17” one, since a bigger screen will be really nice, especially with DOTA 2 (it’s like LoL, isn’t it? With smalll characters running around on screen). Though if you plan to play Overwatch or CS:GO, get the 120Hz. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

22 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Make sure and quote or tag him, so he gets a notification that you replied. Like so:

And I’d personally go for the 17” one, since a bigger screen will be really nice, especially with DOTA 2 (it’s like LoL, isn’t it? With smalll characters running around on screen). Though if you plan to play Overwatch or CS:GO, get the 120Hz. 

I guess you did it for me now? Editing in quotes on a smartphone was harder than I thought. 

Yes idd it is. I basically never play competitive fps games, but might play destiny 2 in the future though. However, I never plan on competing in the pro csgo scene to put it that way.

But won't 120hz paired with gsync also be a  just as nice addition to the smoothness of dota2 and other games?

I do want a bigger screen (17) as opposed to my previous  (15") but then again; if noticeable/beneficial enough; the gaming experience and performance/pleasantness would trump screen size either way (up or down if the 1060 can't keep up with 120hz) 

Edit: thanks a ton for the replies so far guys :)

Edited by Ralphlaurels69

14 minutes ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

I guess you did it for me now? Editing in quotes on a smartphone was harder than I thought. 

Yes idd it is. I basically never play competitive fps games, but might play destiny 2 in the future though. However, I never plan on competing in the pro csgo scene to put it that way.

But won't 120hz paired with gsync also be a  just as nice addition to the smoothness of dota2 and other games?

I do want a bigger screen (17) as opposed to my previous  (15") but then again; if noticeable/beneficial enough; the gaming experience and performance/pleasantness would trump screen size either way (up or down if the 1060 can't keep up with 120hz) 

Edit: thanks a ton for the replies so far guys :)

I don’t think 120Hz is that big of a difference if you aren’t playing competitive FPS games. And I saw somewhere they were capping Destiny 2 to 60fps. Still a beautiful game, I need to pick it up when it comes out. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

44 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I don’t think 120Hz is that big of a difference if you aren’t playing competitive FPS games. And I saw somewhere they were capping Destiny 2 to 60fps. Still a beautiful game, I need to pick it up when it comes out. 

So I guess it all boils down to wether or not 120hz is noticeable ENOUGH for MOBAs? I see many people sharing your view on 60hz being enough for mobas. But some say panning and teamfights look better on a 120hz....

I guess theoretically of course the benefit of 120hz is always there.

I've never had a TN panel. But if one asks the interwebs, people don't really seem that pleased as opposed to image quality of ips. Are TN panels really that bad? We are talking clevo/sager laptops here, so I expect midrange panels. (p651h and p670)

Lastly, would the 1060 even pull games like witcher 3, at a high enough framerate for even 120hz to matter? Ultimately I'm limited by what my gpu can produce. For dota 2 no problem, but then I'm basically buying a 120hz for smoothness in dota 2 alone (which could/could not be a good thing/worth it), as other games would play the same on a 60hz monitor.

Sorry for being difficult, but I always have a hard time deciding due to "min/maxing" my purchases (I wanna make sure I get the most bang for my buck). Thanks again for the replies!

52 minutes ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

So I guess it all boils down to wether or not 120hz is noticeable ENOUGH for MOBAs? I see many people sharing your view on 60hz being enough for mobas. But some say panning and teamfights look better on a 120hz....

I guess theoretically of course the benefit of 120hz is always there.

I've never had a TN panel. But if one asks the interwebs, people don't really seem that pleased as opposed to image quality of ips. Are TN panels really that bad? We are talking clevo/sager laptops here, so I expect midrange panels. (p651h and p670)

Lastly, would the 1060 even pull games like witcher 3, at a high enough framerate for even 120hz to matter? Ultimately I'm limited by what my gpu can produce. For dota 2 no problem, but then I'm basically buying a 120hz for smoothness in dota 2 alone (which could/could not be a good thing/worth it), as other games would play the same on a 60hz monitor.

Sorry for being difficult, but I always have a hard time deciding due to "min/maxing" my purchases (I wanna make sure I get the most bang for my buck). Thanks again for the replies!

A 1060 won't run AAA games at 120Hz unless you turn settings really low. Also TN on a laptop will be a pain, since you have to look the panel straight on to not have the colors go wacky (I have a TN panel, so I know). It's okay on a desktop, since you always use the same seating position. On a laptop though, it'll be ab pain, since you'll have to constantly adjust your screen angle to however you're sitting/where the laptop is. IPS is the way to go for laptops, IMO. I've got a 60Hz panel, and play Battlefront II (classic Star Wars FPS), and its perfectly smooth. My GPU (980 Ti, same with the 1050 Ti I used before) keeps it maxed out at 80fps, and it's fine. 

And yeah, I'm one of the guys who reads up for ages, and constantly flops between one choice and the other. Don't even get me started on the mobo I want for my new rig....

Main PC 

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

A 1060 won't run AAA games at 120Hz unless you turn settings really low. Also TN on a laptop will be a pain, since you have to look the panel straight on to not have the colors go wacky (I have a TN panel, so I know). It's okay on a desktop, since you always use the same seating position. On a laptop though, it'll be ab pain, since you'll have to constantly adjust your screen angle to however you're sitting/where the laptop is. IPS is the way to go for laptops, IMO. I've got a 60Hz panel, and play Battlefront II (classic Star Wars FPS), and its perfectly smooth. My GPU (980 Ti, same with the 1050 Ti I used before) keeps it maxed out at 80fps, and it's fine. 

And yeah, I'm one of the guys who reads up for ages, and constantly flops between one choice and the other. Don't even get me started on the mobo I want for my new rig....

Thanks again Zando Bob! 

I usually use my laptop as a desktop replacement though; same desk, same chair? But maybe that won't change TN panels being bad? The reviews over at notebookcheck in regards to the p651H monitor didn't seem THAT bad tho  

Maybe I'll be getting a 17" 60hz one of these days then.

Seems to be the best choice in terms of display quality, added screensize and match of 1060's capabilities. 

Would a 1070 change anything though?

Of course clevo just announced the pa70 with 17", 1070, gsync AND thunderbolt for only slightly higher price. Rip. Too bad it won't probably be in stock until I need it and start traveling. I hate computer manufacturers sometimes.  

Slightly off topic but; how far off into the future do we expect seeing "normally" prices external gpus which are accessible for mortals?

Thanks again, and if anyone feels like chiming in with some additional info everything is appreciated!

Cheers

Edited by Ralphlaurels69

Just now, Ralphlaurels69 said:

Thanks again Zando Bob! 

Seems like I'll be getting the 17" 60hz one of these days then.

Seems to be the best choice in terms of display quality, added screensize and match of 1060's capabilities. 

Would a 1070 change anything though?

Of course clevo just announced the pa70 with 17", 1070, gsync AND thunderbolt for only slightly higher price. Rip. Too bad it won't probably be in stock until I need it and start traveling. I hate computer manufacturers sometimes.  

Slightly off topic but; how far off into the future do we expect seeing "normally" prices external gpus which are accessible for mortals?

Thanks again, and if anyone feels like chiming in with some additional info everything is appreciated!

Cheers

A 1070 would be much better for 1080p 144Hz. For eGPUs, I think Apple (of all companies) is coming out with a reasonably priced eGPU/RX580 combo. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

A 1070 would be much better for 1080p 144Hz. For eGPUs, I think Apple (of all companies) is coming out with a reasonably priced eGPU/RX580 combo. 

Thanks again zando! You're pretty fast haha. (Slightly edited/added to my previously reply if you care:) )

2 minutes ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

Thanks again zando! You're pretty fast haha. (Slightly edited/added to my previously reply if you care:) )

If you use it like a desktop, it should be good. Though do TN panels get washed out in sunlight? That'd be a problem if you were using it at night. And here's the eGPU I was talking about: https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/08/external-graphics-development-kit-egfx-breakaway-developer-unboxing-twitter/. It's $600, and only for Apple Developers. It includes a Sapphire Nitro RX580 (I'm guessing the 8GB one), so it's not actually that bad. 

EDIT: Though you have to have USB-C with Thunderbolt 3. 

Main PC 

7 hours ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

What I'm worried about is that I won't really benefit from 120hz w/gsync with a 1060, at least in games other than dota 2. As it can't keep framerates towards 120 or at least above 60 in higher end titles, and thus not really benefiting from g sync(?).

It is exactly the opposite. G-Sync is only active when your framerate is less then your monitor's refresh rate. If you are at 120 fps or above on a 120 Hz monitor then G-Sync is turned off.

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

If you use it like a desktop, it should be good. Though do TN panels get washed out in sunlight? That'd be a problem if you were using it at night. And here's the eGPU I was talking about: https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/08/external-graphics-development-kit-egfx-breakaway-developer-unboxing-twitter/. It's $600, and only for Apple Developers. It includes a Sapphire Nitro RX580 (I'm guessing the 8GB one), so it's not actually that bad. 

EDIT: Though you have to have USB-C with Thunderbolt 3. 

Damn it. You just made it hard again. The 120hz was sort of sliding off the table.

Wait wat? You mean a problem at daytime right?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-P507-Clevo-P651HS-G-Notebook-Review.193074.0.html

This is in essence the 15" that's in question. Should be the same panel.

The new clevo pa70 which is I'm stock end of August does have a usb c tb3 port. I just can't picture external gpus being accessible enough (price wise too) to the mass market in the time I probably will replace my laptop/1060-70 will become obsolete enough I would feel the need for it? 

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It is exactly the opposite. G-Sync is only active when your framerate is less then your monitor's refresh rate. If you are at 120 fps or above on a 120 Hz monitor then G-Sync is turned off.

Yes, I understand that. However in my mind the 1060 would hover closer to 60fps rather than 120, meaning the benefit of 120hz+gsync would be minimal ? 

Thanks again guys!

1 hour ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

Damn it. You just made it hard again. The 120hz was sort of sliding off the table.

Wait wat? You mean a problem at daytime right?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-P507-Clevo-P651HS-G-Notebook-Review.193074.0.html

This is in essence the 15" that's in question. Should be the same panel.

The new clevo pa70 which is I'm stock end of August does have a usb c tb3 port. I just can't picture external gpus being accessible enough (price wise too) to the mass market in the time I probably will replace my laptop/1060-70 will become obsolete enough I would feel the need for it? 

Yes, I understand that. However in my mind the 1060 would hover closer to 60fps rather than 120, meaning the benefit of 120hz+gsync would be minimal ? 

Thanks again guys!

Hmmm. I still think the 60Hz panel is the best, especially since it’s IPS, bigger, and matches the 1060’s capabilities better. 

Main PC 

On 8/2/2017 at 1:31 AM, Zando Bob said:

Hmmm. I still think the 60Hz panel is the best, especially since it’s IPS, bigger, and matches the 1060’s capabilities better. 

Alrigthy! Thanks again:)

Appears to be some deals complicating things now however.

I can get a 15" w/1070 120hz g sync for 255usd more (than 17" 1060 60hz gsync). Should I jump on this instead?

15.6 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel 141 PPI, AUO B156HTN05.2 (AUO52ED), TN LED, Full-HD, 120 Hz, G-Sync, glossy: no

These are the display specs. So it's still a TN panel and smaller screen size. 

Any ideas anyone? Is it worth the price jump? Its a slight stretch for my wallet, but it might be possible.

1 hour ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

Alrigthy! Thanks again:)

Appears to be some deals complicating things now however.

I can get a 15" w/1070 120hz g sync for 255usd more (than 17" 1060 60hz gsync). Should I jump on this instead?

15.6 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel 141 PPI, AUO B156HTN05.2 (AUO52ED), TN LED, Full-HD, 120 Hz, G-Sync, glossy: no

These are the display specs. So it's still a TN panel and smaller screen size. 

Any ideas anyone? Is it worth the price jump? Its a slight stretch for my wallet, but it might be possible.

If you can afford it, I’d go for it. The 1070 should be able to push 120fps at that res, so the panel will be fully utilized. If you’re fine with a TN panel and smaller screen, get it. 

Main PC 

38 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

If you can afford it, I’d go for it. The 1070 should be able to push 120fps at that res, so the panel will be fully utilized. If you’re fine with a TN panel and smaller screen, get it. 

Thanks zando! 

I have 0 experience with TN panels, but I do intend to use it mostly in the same position/desk as a desktop replacement.

I guess the 15" 1070 120hz would tick more of my boxes, apart from smaller screen size and harder on the wallet. 

I just need to figure out how terrible TN panels are I guess. What some people are posting around the interwebs in regards to general image quality of TN panels seem outright terrifying. 

I can't quite figure out why the review is saying they are disappointed with the TN panel overall. Response times and color seems to satisfy them? Viewing angles is of course worse on a TN, but how bad can they be when sitting at a desk facing the screen head on? Do "ambient" sunlight in a room  (with thick-ish curtains) wreck the ability of looking at it totally?

Here's the review if any display savy/understanding people care to have a look. I never understood much bout displays tbh...

Cheers!

51 minutes ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

Thanks zando! 

I have 0 experience with TN panels, but I do intend to use it mostly in the same position/desk as a desktop replacement.

I guess the 15" 1070 120hz would tick more of my boxes, apart from smaller screen size and harder on the wallet. 

I just need to figure out how terrible TN panels are I guess. What some people are posting around the interwebs in regards to general image quality of TN panels seem outright terrifying. 

I can't quite figure out why the review is saying they are disappointed with the TN panel overall. Response times and color seems to satisfy them? Viewing angles is of course worse on a TN, but how bad can they be when sitting at a desk facing the screen head on? Do "ambient" sunlight in a room  (with thick-ish curtains) wreck the ability of looking at it totally?

Here's the review if any display savy/understanding people care to have a look. I never understood much bout displays tbh...

Cheers!

Most high-end TN panels are really nice, they just have bad viewing angles compared to IPS panels. I currently have a crappy TN monitor for my PC, but it's actually not that bad. If you look at it from the side or up or down, the colors distort a lot. I've got an IPS panel on the way, so I'll be able to compare them. 

So basically, if you're just going to have it on a desk and adjust the viewing angle, a TN panel should be fine. 

Main PC 

After reading the review, it seems they don't like it because of the viewing angles and colors. If you aren't a color perfection freak or doing photoshop or video editing, it should be fine. Though the response time is 12ms, and usual gaming monitors are 1ms-5ms. IDK if that makes a difference on a laptop though. 

Main PC 

Maybe this is just me but if I'm getting a laptop it's for portability so a 17" screen completely defeats the purpose. If it's going to be on a desk then I's rather have a desktop, if it's going to be used as a laptop then I'd rather get a 13-15" screen that's actually portable.

Personally I'd go for a 14-15" IPS at 60Hz then buy a nicer secondary monitor to use for actual gaming when not on the go. When on the go I'd rather have a nicer screen at 60hz than a worse one at 120hz and at lower resolutions a smaller screen looks much nicer in games due to higher PPI... but maybe that's just me. Plus g-sync makes even lower framerates seem much smoother than the same framerate without sync so 60Hz won't actually feel that bad unless you're competitive and really used to HFR.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

6 hours ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

Thanks zando! 

Cheers!

Man, i feel your pain. I've been battling this exact dilemma for the past couple of days myself, so when i came upon your thread i decided i'd be doing a disservice to you and anyone else that has this issue in the future if i didn't create an account and respond.

Here's the short version of my long story:

Decided i wanted to off my gaming desktop for more mobility - i mostly play league, occasionally some ghost recon wildlands, and getting into playerunknown's battle groudnd with friends. Also bought Battlefield 1 way back when it first came out, and i assume i'll jump back into that at some point. So those are the main titles i wanted to accommodate as i located a gaming laptop, figured a GTX 1060 would probably be fine.

This landed me on the Alienware 13 with OLED (1440p) and a Razer Blade with FHD - both with a GTX 1060. I decided to go with the Alienware because that OLED looked glorious, but once it arrived and i tried playing PUBG i noticed a) 13" isn't comfortable for me to game on, and 2) there was some pretty wicked screen tearing - and that game isn't exactly graphically demanding, so it couldn't be the 1060 per se. Maybe the display i got was faulty, i didn't bother updating the drivers to continue testing because to my first point, 13" was just a bit too small and i couldn't go much longer with that as a daily driver/gaming machine. As i think about this, i'm probably going to get flamed for assumptions people make, but in the interest of time, i'm not including all of that information.

Fast forward, i start looking at some 15" and 17" options. After having hands on an Alienware, i'm completely convinced and sold on their build quality, and frankly i love the look and feel. Plus, Dell's support is pretty fantastic. So despite some of the other great options out there, i'm sticking with Alienware's 15 R3 or 17 R4. I can get a GTX 1060 or 1070 on either of the two configurations. The 15 R3 comes with two G-SYNC panel options - a FHD 120Hz TN w/ G-SYNC or 15.6" FHD 60Hz TN w/ G-SYNC. The 17 came with a 1440p TN 120Hz w/ G-SYNC as well, but at that point i feel like i'm kind of limiting myself in what i could play at 1440p. I don't want to have to deviate from the panel's native resolution and I don't want to have to tether myself to a Graphics Amplifier (or other eGPU). This leads me to the 1070 with a 1080p screen for a little bit of future proofing. I might kick myself in the future for this, who knows. Beyond that though, 17" full sized gaming laptops are just monsters, maybe a little TOO big for me.

I wound up going with the GTX 1070 paired to a 15.6" 1080p TN 120Hz G-SYNC display. Primary reason being that the 1070 really does out perform the 1060 significantly and i want to push as many frames to the display as possible for as long as i can in the future. The 120Hz provides a lot of overhead for performance, and for those games where i start pushing less than 120 frames, the G-SYNC comes in for that buttery-smooth frame matching. For an extra $255 US to upgrade i think you'd you'll be saving yourself a good chunk of change having to buy an eGPU and video card in the future. 

Anyway, on to the objective discussion around the panels. TN technology in general has come a long way. As far as TN panels and IPS panels compare, the community isn't lying to you. TN panels are generally less beautiful than IPS panels, BUT they aren't as terrible as they used to be. TN panels are proven to be better performers from a gaming perspective due to high refresh rates and fast response times. If you're doing work with lots of colors and stuff then TN wouldn't be favorable, but that doesn't seem to be your intent. The TN panels in the Alienware computers (based on what i've researched) are 6-bit+FRC which have pretty great colors despite the stigma TN panels have gotten from the past; can't say if that's the case for Cleo or Sager machines. Take a good look at the 'nits' the TN panels you're looking at are rated. The Alienware TN panels are rated at 400 nits, which is a pretty strong. So long as you're at/above 350 nits, I wouldn't be as concerned about using them in high-light situations (e.g. outdoors), but indoors they're fantastic. And in my personal experience, matte IPS displays look kind of similar to TN panels anyway (with the exception of the poor viewing angles of TN panels). Maybe it was just my perception or the environment i was using in but it seems like you might lose a little bit of color quality on a matte IPS panel when compared to glossy IPS panel. So that really only leaves viewing angles to consider. So long as you're facing squarely to your laptop display you won't really experience any major viewing angle issues or loss of viewing quality. Sure, you might have to adjust your panel to be square to the angle you're viewing from (vertically) but if the laptop is in front of you, you will be just fine.

To conclude, like you, i struggle with compromise. I've probably placed and cancelled 8 different orders on Dell's website (i'll surely be blacklisted soon!! :)) But anyway, we're planning to shell out $1500+ on a laptop and we should get exactly what we want. When we don't, we feel uneasy about that. We have to remind ourselves, though, these are fantastic computers despite their nuances; we're just getting a little nit-picky. We're never going to reach perfection, so let's find the best thing that will suit our current and near-term future needs. In three or four years we'll be ready to see what new awesome toys are out there.

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

After reading the review, it seems they don't like it because of the viewing angles and colors. If you aren't a color perfection freak or doing photoshop or video editing, it should be fine. Though the response time is 12ms, and usual gaming monitors are 1ms-5ms. IDK if that makes a difference on a laptop though. 

I tried looking at the 60hz ips review, https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nexoc-G734III-Clevo-P670RS-G-Notebook-Review.174030.0.html, but there's a lot of response times. Haha. Which one are we looking at? ;)

Regarding TN and color. I'd obviously want the colors to be as nice as possible, but Im no photoshop artist; apart from the random "I got time to spend"-photoshop sesh. Heck I even had a laptop for 2 years without calibrating my display. People said I was a doofus for not doing so, but I didn't notice. So I guess a TN is likely fine for me then he? 

2 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Maybe this is just me but if I'm getting a laptop it's for portability so a 17" screen completely defeats the purpose. If it's going to be on a desk then I's rather have a desktop, if it's going to be used as a laptop then I'd rather get a 13-15" screen that's actually portable.

Personally I'd go for a 14-15" IPS at 60Hz then buy a nicer secondary monitor to use for actual gaming when not on the go. When on the go I'd rather have a nicer screen at 60hz than a worse one at 120hz and at lower resolutions a smaller screen looks much nicer in games due to higher PPI... but maybe that's just me. Plus g-sync makes even lower framerates seem much smoother than the same framerate without sync so 60Hz won't actually feel that bad unless you're competitive and really used to HFR.

The lower screen size->higher ppi is a point I guess. However, due to my current situation a desktop is out of the question. The laptop travels 2-4 times a year at, but at its destination it sits as a "desktop replacement" the whole time. So the lack of portability of a 17" aint really an issue:) 

Having 2 monitors w/g sync is an issue for my wallet. Besides wouldn't having a separate monitor defeat the purpose of buying a gsync and/or 120hz laptop display in the first place? :)

53 minutes ago, madgame1230 said:

Man, i feel your pain. I've been battling this exact dilemma for the past couple of days myself, so when i came upon your thread i decided i'd be doing a disservice to you and anyone else that has this issue in the future if i didn't create an account and respond.

Here's the short version of my long story:

Decided i wanted to off my gaming desktop for more mobility - i mostly play league, occasionally some ghost recon wildlands, and getting into playerunknown's battle groudnd with friends. Also bought Battlefield 1 way back when it first came out, and i assume i'll jump back into that at some point. So those are the main titles i wanted to accommodate as i located a gaming laptop, figured a GTX 1060 would probably be fine.

This landed me on the Alienware 13 with OLED (1440p) and a Razer Blade with FHD - both with a GTX 1060. I decided to go with the Alienware because that OLED looked glorious, but once it arrived and i tried playing PUBG i noticed a) 13" isn't comfortable for me to game on, and 2) there was some pretty wicked screen tearing - and that game isn't exactly graphically demanding, so it couldn't be the 1060 per se. Maybe the display i got was faulty, i didn't bother updating the drivers to continue testing because to my first point, 13" was just a bit too small and i couldn't go much longer with that as a daily driver/gaming machine. As i think about this, i'm probably going to get flamed for assumptions people make, but in the interest of time, i'm not including all of that information.

Fast forward, i start looking at some 15" and 17" options. After having hands on an Alienware, i'm completely convinced and sold on their build quality, and frankly i love the look and feel. Plus, Dell's support is pretty fantastic. So despite some of the other great options out there, i'm sticking with Alienware, now either the 15 R3 or 17 R4. I can get a GTX 1060 or 1070 on either of the two configurations. The 15 R3 comes with multiple panel options - 15.6" FHD IPS (no G-SYNC), 15.6" FHD 120Hz TN w/ G-SYNC or 15.6" FHD 60Hz TN w/ G-SYNC. The 17 came with a 1440p TN 120Hz w/ G-SYNC as well, but at that point i feel like i'm kind of limiting myself in what i could play at 1440p using the 1060, and i don't want to have to tether myself to a Graphics Amplifier (or other eGPU) - i'd prefer the 1070 with a 1080p screen for a little bit of future proofing. I might kick myself in the future for this, who knows. Beyond that though, 17" full sized gaming laptops are just monsters, maybe a little TOO big for me. 

TN technology in general has come a long way. As far as TN panels and IPS panels compare, the community isn't lying to you. TN panels are generally less beautiful than IPS panels, BUT they aren't as terrible as they used to be. TN panels are proven to be better performers from a gaming perspective due to high refresh rates and fast response times. If you're doing work with lots of colors and stuff then TN wouldn't be favorable, but that doesn't seem to be your intent. The TN panels in the Alienware computers (based on what i've researched) are 6-bit+FRC which have pretty great colors despite the stigma TN panels have gotten from the past; can't say if that's the case for Cleo or Sager machines. Take a good look at the 'nits' the TN panels you're looking at are rated. The Alienware TN panels are rated at 400 nits, which is a pretty strong. So long as you're at/above 350 nits, I wouldn't be as concerned about using them in high-light situations (e.g. outdoors), but indoors they're fantastic. And in my personal experience, matte IPS displays look kind of similar to TN panels anyway. Maybe it was just my perception or the environment i was using in but it seems like you might lose a little bit of color quality on a matte IPS panel when compared to glossy IPS panel. So that really only leaves viewing angles to consider. So long as you're facing squarely to your laptop display you won't really experience any major viewing angle issues or loss of viewing quality. Sure, you might have to adjust your panel to be square to the angle you're viewing from (vertically) but if the laptop is in front of you, you will be just fine.

I wound up going with the GTX 1070 paired to a 15.6" 1080p TN 120Hz G-SYNC display. Primary reason being that the 1070 really does out perform the 1060 significantly and i want to push as many frames to the display as possible for as long as i can in the future. The 120Hz provides a lot of overhead for performance, and for those games where i start pushing less than 120 frames, the G-SYNC comes in for that buttery-smooth frame matching. For an extra $255 US to upgrade i think you'd you'll be saving yourself a good chunk of change having to buy an eGPU and video card in the future. 

To conclude, like you, i struggle with compromise. I've probably placed and cancelled 8 different orders on Dell's website (i'll surely be blacklisted soon!! :)) But anyway, we're planning to shell out $1500+ on a laptop and we should get exactly what we want. When we don't, we feel uneasy about that. We have to remind ourselves, though, these are fantastic computers despite their nuances; we're just getting a little nit-picky. We're never going to reach perfection, so let's find the best thing that will suit our current and near-term future needs. In three or four years we'll be ready to see what new awesome toys are out there.

Thanks a ton for bothering to reply! I'm pretty sure there's many people who would skip straight past seeing a post similar to their own previous "dilemmas". 

Unfortunately the Alienwares and such are too expensive in my region. 

You mention the clevo/sager (AOU and LG Phillips) TN panels are less than awesome. Would you care to look at the two reviews I posted under their display section and give your thoughts? I'm basically useless when it comes to interpretation of display tests. Never even heard of nits. 

The two options I've listed are basically what I can get for my price range, and they are both clevo. So it's basically 

A) 15" 120hz g sync TN w/1060 

B)  17" 60hz gsync IPS w/1060

( C) 15" 120hz gsync TN w/1070)) 

Looking at the reviews above? Which one would you pick? :)

Edited by Ralphlaurels69
Added reply to madgame1230

13 minutes ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

I tried looking at the 60hz ips review, https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nexoc-G734III-Clevo-P670RS-G-Notebook-Review.174030.0.html, but there's a lot of response times. Haha. Which one are we looking at? ;)

Regarding TN and color. I'd obviously want the colors to be as nice as possible, but Im no photoshop artist; apart from the random "I got time to spend"-photoshop sesh. Heck I even had a laptop for 2 years without calibrating my display. People said I was a doofus for not doing so, but I didn't notice. So I guess a TN is likely fine for me then he? 

The lower screen size->higher ppi is a point I guess. However, due to my current situation a desktop is out of the question. The laptop travels 2-4 times a year at, but at its destination it sits as a "desktop replacement" the whole time. So the lack of portability of a 17" aint really an issue:) 

Having 2 monitors w/g sync is an issue for my wallet. Besides wouldn't having a separate monitor defeat the purpose of buying a gsync and/or 120hz laptop display in the first place? :)

I can't really make sense of it either. I'd call it a draw. 

Main PC 

4 hours ago, Ralphlaurels69 said:

Thanks a ton for bothering to reply! I'm pretty sure there's many people who would skip straight past seeing a post similar to their own previous "dilemmas". 

Unfortunately the Alienwares and such are too expensive in my region. 

You mention the clevo/sager (AOU and LG Phillips) TN panels are less than awesome. Would you care to look at the two reviews I posted under their display section and give your thoughts? I'm basically useless when it comes to interpretation of display tests. Never even heard of nits. 

The two options I've listed are basically what I can get for my price range, and they are both clevo. So it's basically 

A) 15" 120hz g sync TN w/1060 

B)  17" 60hz gsync IPS w/1060

( C) 15" 120hz gsync TN w/1070)) 

Looking at the reviews above? Which one would you pick? :)

Didn't say the Clevo/Sager panels were less than awesome, just that i don't have much knowledge or experience with them :) That said, the IPS panel in the review you linked does look decent. With a GTX 1070 and even most 1060s you'll exceed 60 frames at 1080p, so the G-SYNC won't buy you a ton of value with only a 60Hz display. 

If it were me, even though it would stretch the wallet a bit, I'd go for option C with the 15" 120 Hz G-SYNC TN and the GTX 1070. The 1070 video card and 120Hz panel is going to take you much further than the 1060 would my man.