Open Ports with DS-Lite connection over a VPN?

Janeyadonnah
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

The problem isn't that you don't have a static public IP - its that you don't have your own IPv4 address at all. You can operate servers using your router's public IPv6 address, but assuming that is a dynamic IP, you may still need a Dynamic-DNS services like NoIP as @Donut417 mentioned. However, you will need to find such as service that can operate with IPv6 addresses, as otherwise the service will only pick up "your" IPv4 address, which isn't really an address your router can respond on.

If having ports available over IPv4 is a requirement, then you would need something similar to a VPN, as you were previously asking. This list may help you

- but if not, then the only other solution is to rent a VPS and set up your own VPN server and forward your ports as needed. But at that point, depending on what you are trying to do, you might as well run the workload itself on the VPS.

So, I have a DS-Lite internet connection (IPv4 over IPv6) which means, that I can't open any ports as I don't have a static public IP (as far as I understood).

Now I want to host a game server and is there any way for it to be accessed via the internet without using something like hamachi?

Is there maybe a VPN service out there which can let me open ports and route the traffic to me?

blubb

1 hour ago, Klorkson said:

So, I have a DS-Lite internet connection (IPv4 over IPv6) which means, that I can't open any ports as I don't have a static public IP (as far as I understood).

Now I want to host a game server and is there any way for it to be accessed via the internet without using something like hamachi?

Is there maybe a VPN service out there which can let me open ports and route the traffic to me?

You dont seen a static IP address to run the game server. You can use https://www.noip.com/. It will install a client on the machine your network. It will update the No IP hostname with you current IP address. Just be careful. Many ISPs get angry if you run servers. I know here in the states, many ISP's band the practice out right. If you get caught, you can have your service terminated. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The problem isn't that you don't have a static public IP - its that you don't have your own IPv4 address at all. You can operate servers using your router's public IPv6 address, but assuming that is a dynamic IP, you may still need a Dynamic-DNS services like NoIP as @Donut417 mentioned. However, you will need to find such as service that can operate with IPv6 addresses, as otherwise the service will only pick up "your" IPv4 address, which isn't really an address your router can respond on.

If having ports available over IPv4 is a requirement, then you would need something similar to a VPN, as you were previously asking. This list may help you

- but if not, then the only other solution is to rent a VPS and set up your own VPN server and forward your ports as needed. But at that point, depending on what you are trying to do, you might as well run the workload itself on the VPS.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 hours ago, brwainer said:

- big snip-

I have tried AirVPN, opened the port and voila the server was reachable!

Thank you Sir!

blubb