nexus 5x

Sicko

is nexus 5x still worth buying after almost 2 years?

hows the performance on it?

On 7/9/2017 at 1:16 PM, Sicko said:

-snip-

Spoiler

I wouldn't. I have a Nexus 5x and it already feels sluggish. I did a factory reset about 3-4 months ago and it's already slow again. It has bad thermal throttling issues where if the screen is on for more than 10-20 mins, it gets very warm and throttles the GPU and CPU way down (and it's a widely experienced issue.) I get stutters every time I play Hearthstone and my iPhone 5 handled it fine. I also went on a 24+ hour road trip recently and using my phone for nav meant it was almost unusable for anything else because it was so slow. Like I would hit the app switcher button, and it would take a solid 4 seconds before it would activate just because it was in the sun sometimes and the screen was on for maps.  If you want a very cheap phone that technically works, go ahead. It's cheap as hell, works great for light usage, and has a decent camera, good fingerprint scanner, USB type C which is super fast and stock android which is awesome. Part of me thinks the phone wasn't this bad when I first got it but I've only had it for a year and a half at the most. But I would recommend a Oneplus 3t or a LG G6 over this. (I would've said the OP5, but that phone has been having weird issues too: jellyscrolling). Oh and the battery life is abysmal. Probably due to the phone getting so hot any time it's being used but I get 3-4 hours of screen on time so I always have a charger with me. I'm a heavy user though. Lots of games, browsing, videos, some music too. 

Btw I got it on sale for $250. At that price, I don't think it's a terrible value. I was happy when I got it but I think the thermal throttling has gotten worse over time. If you can get one for under $200, I might go for it because you can't really find any decent phones at that price. 

Disregard the above. I found out my podcast app went haywire because when I downloaded a bunch of podcasts for the 24 hour roadtrip, i changed enough settings that it auto downloaded tons of podcasts and didn't auto-clean up anything. So my phone's storage was chock full of podcasts, Apparently that means the phone gets slow as balls. I deleted like 40 podcasts and a few games for good measure and now Hearthstone runs great. I was just really frustrated with my phone and it shows above. Not it's (pretty) smooth again. Again it was never perfect but it's not a pain in the ass to use anymore. Phone still gets hot quick but I like the phone and would recommend it to anyone looking to spend ~$200 or less. 

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

Depends on your price and performance expectations. I use it as my current personal phone, replacing a Nexus 4, and it has about double the battery life of that (running Pokemon Go). Don't expect to do more than one thing on it at a time.

I haven't had performance problems with the games I play on it. Besides PoGo, I have done Fallout shelter, Simcity, Fantasy War Tactics, the whole angry birds line, whole candy crush and spinoffs, clash of clans... arguably the most demanding of the lot is pogo, and that's only because it uses data and gps constantly.

I do love the stock android experience, which has put me off Samsung phones. It's only a rumour right now, but I think the Pixel 2B might be the phone I replace the 5x with. I'm not going to get a flagship phone but finding something decent below those is often difficult.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 7/9/2017 at 1:16 PM, Sicko said:

If you read my comment when I first posted it Tuesday night please re read it, I updated it significantly. My phone was only slow because I had literally ZERO free space on it. I would recommend buying it for around $200.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

Correct me, but Nexus 5x is still using Snapdragon 808 which is still has some problems on handling the thermal. The performance is good, but once it gets heat, you would find some serious lag. Better to find other phone with better specs.

• 1 month later...

There's also the issues with the 5X (and 6P) bootloop issues. As much as I loved the 6P, the issues with these two phones just makes them hard to recommend.