Did I Just Break My Motherboard?

Ryou-kun

Hello LTT,

I was trying to update my Bios driver, and I thought it went through. Restarted my PC after it was finished and boom. Nothing happen. My computer turn on but no display. GPU is seated properly including the PSU connecting it. There are no lights for my mouse and keyboard so I can't control it. I did reset my CMOS battery and nothing happen. I have no idea what to do. Any help?

My PC:

AMD Ryzen 1700

ASUS Prime B350-Plus

GTX 980 ti

Corsair HX 750W

Please help ...

Thank you, 

Tell asus you fucked up :( 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, Ryou-kun said:

Hello LTT,

I was trying to update my Bios driver, and I thought it went through. Restarted my PC after it was finished and boom. Nothing happen. My computer turn on but no display. GPU is seated properly including the PSU connecting it. There are no lights for my mouse and keyboard so I can't control it. I did reset my CMOS battery and nothing happen. I have no idea what to do. Any help?

My PC:

AMD Ryzen 1700

ASUS Prime B350-Plus

GTX 980 ti

Corsair HX 750W

Please help ...

Thank you, 

You can't recover from a broken bios.

Some motherboards have a bios flash back, or multiple bios'.

Check to see if your motherboard has either.

If it does then you might be able to save it.

It's not a race to the bottom.

ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 is an auto recovery tool that allows you to restore the BIOS file
when it fails or gets corrupted during the updating process. You can restore a corrupted BIOS
file using the motherboard support DVD or a USB flash drive that contains the updated BIOS
file.
• Before using this utility, rename the BIOS file in the removable device into
PRB350PS.CAP
• The BIOS file in the support DVD may not be the latest version. Download the latest
BIOS file from the ASUS website at
www.asus.com
Recovering the BIOS
To recover the BIOS:
Turn on the system.
Insert the support DVD to the optical drive or the USB flash drive that contains the
BIOS file to the USB port.
The utility automatically checks the devices for the BIOS file. When found, the utility
reads the BIOS file and enters ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility automatically.
The system requires you to enter BIOS Setup to recover BIOS settings. To ensure
system compatibility and stability, we recommend that you press <F5> to load default
BIOS values.
DO NOT shut down or reset the system while updating the BIOS! Doing so can cause
system boot failure!

1 minute ago, GreenZombie said:
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 is an auto recovery tool that allows you to restore the BIOS file
when it fails or gets corrupted during the updating process. You can restore a corrupted BIOS
file using the motherboard support DVD or a USB flash drive that contains the updated BIOS
file.
• Before using this utility, rename the BIOS file in the removable device into
PRB350PS.CAP
• The BIOS file in the support DVD may not be the latest version. Download the latest
BIOS file from the ASUS website at
www.asus.com
Recovering the BIOS
To recover the BIOS:
Turn on the system.
Insert the support DVD to the optical drive or the USB flash drive that contains the
BIOS file to the USB port.
The utility automatically checks the devices for the BIOS file. When found, the utility
reads the BIOS file and enters ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility automatically.
The system requires you to enter BIOS Setup to recover BIOS settings. To ensure
system compatibility and stability, we recommend that you press <F5> to load default
BIOS values.
DO NOT shut down or reset the system while updating the BIOS! Doing so can cause
system boot failure!

The problem is that there is no display and my keyboard and mouse isn't working. I can't do it. :(

I guess I really fucked up my motherboard just by updating my Bios driver.

Or it could have been a corrupted file. :(

7 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

You can't recover from a broken bios.

Some motherboards have a bios flash back, or multiple bios'.

Check to see if your motherboard has either.

If it does then you might be able to save it.

Crap, I can't do it. My display, keyboard and mouse doesn't work so I can't do anything. :(

I really fucked up my motherboard. :(

Unplug computer completely.

Remove battery from motherboard.

Wait 10-30s

Put battery back

Plug the mains cable in the power supply.

Power on the PC, wait 10s or more...

If it doesn't work, there should still be a sort of fail safe bios which would allow you at least to flash the bios.

You may need to use a PS/2 keyboard or to plug a usb keyboard in one of the USB 2.0 ports in order for keyboard to work with this "partial" or fail-safe bios. Some of these minimal bioses won't even detect usb keyboards.

Check the manual, see the bios update section and see what key shortcuts you have on the boot screen to go into update bios mode.  Even without image on screen, you may be able to perform a bios update simply by blindly pressing the keys expected (if you follow the pictures from the manual)

Some motherboards will allow you to press a key for quick flash during the bios screen (before operating system starts), auto scan usb ports for a usb stick and if you have the uncompressed bios file with a certain extension (.rom or .bin for example) , after you press than key you get a screen directly and you'd just have to press ENTER or something like that and then maybe press Y to confirm you want to perform update, and then the bios would be reflashed without even showing stuff on screen.

Check manual.

edit: i see above , there has to be the bios file with the .CAP extension

Plug the hdmi/Dp cable on you're monitor in and then out, I freaked out for an hour then I realised my monitor was unplugged 

If you can't get it fixed then take the motherboard back. Or go out to a shop buy an identical board and swap them and then take it back. Try taking out the CMOS battery for 5-10 minutes and the try to boot. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

16 hours ago, mariushm said:

Unplug computer completely.

Remove battery from motherboard.

Wait 10-30s

Put battery back

Plug the mains cable in the power supply.

Power on the PC, wait 10s or more...

If it doesn't work, there should still be a sort of fail safe bios which would allow you at least to flash the bios.

You may need to use a PS/2 keyboard or to plug a usb keyboard in one of the USB 2.0 ports in order for keyboard to work with this "partial" or fail-safe bios. Some of these minimal bioses won't even detect usb keyboards.

Check the manual, see the bios update section and see what key shortcuts you have on the boot screen to go into update bios mode.  Even without image on screen, you may be able to perform a bios update simply by blindly pressing the keys expected (if you follow the pictures from the manual)

Some motherboards will allow you to press a key for quick flash during the bios screen (before operating system starts), auto scan usb ports for a usb stick and if you have the uncompressed bios file with a certain extension (.rom or .bin for example) , after you press than key you get a screen directly and you'd just have to press ENTER or something like that and then maybe press Y to confirm you want to perform update, and then the bios would be reflashed without even showing stuff on screen.

Check manual.

edit: i see above , there has to be the bios file with the .CAP extension

I have tried what you said at the top and nothing work.

I thought about trying out this "Clear RTC Ram" by short the two pins. I am a bit confuse about it.

Do I do it while my PC is on or PC is off? I have tried both on and off and nothing seem to clear CMOS off.

Removing the battery from the motherboard does the same thing as shorting those pins with the jumper. Basically, you disconnect the "power supply" (the battery) from the chip which holds the time and settings - without power, the data is lost (reset) within a few seconds. That's why I told you to wait 10-30seconds, because 10s is more than enough time for any chip to lose the information.

However, SOME computers will keep that memory chip powered even if you remove the battery or short those pins, by using energy from 5v stand-by, which is provided by the power supply 24/7 even if the computer is off. That's why I instructed you to remove the mains power cable from the computer's power supply because this way for sure the power supply won't provide power to motherboard.

So remove the mains power cable to make sure there's absolutely no power going into the motherboard, then remove the battery or use the reset jumper for enough seconds to be sure the data is reset.

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Removing the battery from the motherboard does the same thing as shorting those pins with the jumper. Basically, you disconnect the "power supply" (the battery) from the chip which holds the time and settings - without power, the data is lost (reset) within a few seconds. That's why I told you to wait 10-30seconds, because 10s is more than enough time for any chip to lose the information.

However, SOME computers will keep that memory chip powered even if you remove the battery or short those pins, by using energy from 5v stand-by, which is provided by the power supply 24/7 even if the computer is off. That's why I instructed you to remove the mains power cable from the computer's power supply because this way for sure the power supply won't provide power to motherboard.

So remove the mains power cable to make sure there's absolutely no power going into the motherboard, then remove the battery or use the reset jumper for enough seconds to be sure the data is reset.

I did that. I unplug my PSU cable. Then the power cables connecting to my motherboard both 8 pin and 24 pins. After that, I remove the cmos battery and waited 5-10 minutes. I even press the power button to drain the remaining power inside of the system. Put everything back together and nothing really happen except my PC turn on but still no display, mouse or keyboard.

I am aware I could use PS/2 mouse/keyboard but I don't have one with me. RIP.

Well, this procedure just makes it so the bios settings and the time are lost. It doesn't reset the actual bios (the software), it's not something magical.

The procedure just forces a working bios to reset everything to defaults and search the whole computer for various hardware and initialize it properly (onboard sound card, network, usb controllers, video cards on pci-e slots)

If the software in the bios chip is somehow corrupted, it's STILL corrupted after this... but you're basically making sure the settings won't prevent you from potentially re-programming the chip.

The procedure will also not do anything if the video card you plugged in the pci-e slot is damaged somehow.

If the software in the bios chip is damaged, you can try reprogramming the chip (copy the bios file as instructed in the manual on a usb stick and follow the instructions, which should work even without seeing stuff on the screen.. you can press hotkeys with some pause between presses).. but like i said, you may have to use a ps2 keyboard in order to have a working keyboard, because usb keyboards may not work. Also, the bios programming stuff may only work with usb 2.0 ports (the black connectors on the back)

You can even do this bios programming without a graphics card installed in your computer.

Oh, if you plugged the display cable in the motherboard hdmi or dvi ports, those won't work because the processor doesn't actually have a video card integrated into it. The display card needs to go in the dedicated video card.

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Well, this procedure just makes it so the bios settings and the time are lost. It doesn't reset the actual bios (the software), it's not something magical.

The procedure just forces a working bios to reset everything to defaults and search the whole computer for various hardware and initialize it properly (onboard sound card, network, usb controllers, video cards on pci-e slots)

If the software in the bios chip is somehow corrupted, it's STILL corrupted after this... but you're basically making sure the settings won't prevent you from potentially re-programming the chip.

The procedure will also not do anything if the video card you plugged in the pci-e slot is damaged somehow.

If the software in the bios chip is damaged, you can try reprogramming the chip (copy the bios file as instructed in the manual on a usb stick and follow the instructions, which should work even without seeing stuff on the screen.. you can press hotkeys with some pause between presses).. but like i said, you may have to use a ps2 keyboard in order to have a working keyboard, because usb keyboards may not work. Also, the bios programming stuff may only work with usb 2.0 ports (the black connectors on the back)

You can even do this bios programming without a graphics card installed in your computer.

Oh, if you plugged the display cable in the motherboard hdmi or dvi ports, those won't work because the processor doesn't actually have a video card integrated into it. The display card needs to go in the dedicated video card.

Oh, gotcha.

I just remember that my computer didn't restart after the Bios was finished. My computer decide to restart while my Bios was updating so it pretty much screw up the process. I was downstair just netflix and chilling because I am not going to sit on my computer for a long time just to stare at the screen. I think it might have happen due to unstable OC because I turned down the voltage offset +.2000 to +.17 something. 

I will try the reprogramming the bios like the manual and you say. Hopefully it would work.

23 hours ago, mariushm said:

By the way, to reprogrammed the Bios driver using the flash drive.

Does the flash drive only contain the Bios file itself?

It seems like I have to wait for my PS/2 keyboard to arrive. 

-sigh- Lovely.

On 7/9/2017 at 8:17 PM, mariushm said:

Okay, I have tried both USB flash drive with the bios that has been renamed exactly in the manual and a CD. I connect a PS/2 keyboard and press F5. I plug in HDMI to my dedicated GPU, GTX 980 ti. Nothing seem to work. :S